Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Racial benefits 2

HakaijuHakaiju Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited February 2021 in General Discussion
A month ago i made this (honestly pretty shitty) post about the racial stats and augments in the game. I realized that most people actually prefer having races that affect the gameplay and are mostly against race changes because of RP reasons (it doesnt make sense to be able to change your appearance). Steven and Jeffrey also said last stream that they lean towards no race changes in the game. Seeing that you can change your secondary archetype and your social organization (which both affect available augments) I want to propose this idea:
I would love to have a questline or "acceptance factor" for each race, which allows the change of racial stats and augments to that specific race, while also loosing the augments and base stats of your current race (so you cant collect all augments). In case of a questline it should be quite long (like 20 hours) and timegated (maybe once every few months). For the acceptance factor you would just need to do any quests provided by that specific race (with the same timegate of course). The character appearance should not be affected by this, because the idea is based on the acceptance of your character (proving your worth) to the race of your choice. One example would be like this:
Vhaeyne wrote: »
I guess if they had a long quest line where orcs beat you to the point that you are now dumber, and less charismatic, but a little more strong and durable. As a part of some sort of brutal orcish hazing. You still look human, but instead have the orcish racial features. I would find that to be an amazing feature that is just a part of good character development.

Here are some pro's and cons this might add (I'll try to be neutral here):

Pros:
-With a very long leveling/ character building process you dont need to relevel the same class, just because you picked the wrong race at Level 1 (for casuals, or people who like a new flavour after 2000 hours played).
-Higher identification with your character, as you might see yourself as an elf, but you prefer the playstyle of a human.
-Adds some possibilities to RP (for example being abandoned by your own race, seeking shelter with another one)

Cons:
-There needs to be some indicator to show which racial augments a character has, as augments and appearance arent connected anymore
-Less importance of the choice you make with your race

Neutral:
-This wont become a META-Tool, as long as the patches have a higher frequency than the possible race changes

All in all I think this would please more players than it would hurt and I would like to hear your opinions on this idea.

Comments

• This kind of feels like a lot of extra micro-management would be required on Intrepid's part, to cater to a rather small demographic of players. They already have SO many other different systems to iron out with nodes, mayors/city buildings, player housing, player trading/auctions, other economy details, not to mention the juggernaut: "combat" system... I just don't see this being on a horizon, ever.

Seems far simpler to say: "Pick the correct race the first time you make a character."
    With a follow up: "If you get tired of playing that race- Make a new character."

I'm not bashing your idea. I just don't see it being worth the time & trouble.

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • HakaijuHakaiju Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    This kind of feels like a lot of extra micro-management would be required on Intrepid's part, to cater to a rather small demographic of players. They already have SO many other different systems to iron out with nodes, mayors/city buildings, player housing, player trading/auctions, other economy details, not to mention the juggernaut: "combat" system... I just don't see this being on a horizon, ever.
    I'm not bashing your idea. I just don't see it being worth the time & trouble.

Would it take so much time though? The augments are already there, you just need to separate them from the visual. Making a questline would be the most work, which i agree might be too much. Therefore I made the lazy solution with the acceptance factor, as I think that there are already quests planned that are affiliated with a race. I dont think that would take more than one day for a single dev to implement this
  • AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    No.
  • HakaijuHakaiju Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    AntVictus wrote: »
    No.

Thanks for the elaborate answer
  • AntVictus wrote: »
    No.

I second this
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I am also going to say no.

It system is already tied to to many other systems.

Not everyone can or should be able to do or be everything.
    Choices should matter.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am ok with something that can be chosen by any player. I am 100% not ok with dwarves being better tanks because they are short/stout/live in mountains/ blah blah blah. The dwarves suck and I will murder all of them on sight. They are putrid, vile, disgusting creatures that deserve a quick death. I don't want to be an inferior tank because I didn't choose a trash race that.

Now, if I chose Orc (which happens to be the best race), I would be ok having to go through a dwarven trial to gain the trait of the dwarves. Then I would use that trait to SLAY THEM WITH THEIR OWN STAT BUFFS.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2021
    While keeping your own? Or swapping them out?

Don't for get to kneel down when swinging your sword.
    Trying to hurt them not give hair cuts.🤭
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • VirulentVirulent Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NO.
  • Hakaiju wrote: »
    The character appearance should not be affected by this, because the idea is based on the acceptance of your character (proving your worth) to the race of your choice.

Race doesn't work like this. You can't just switch a race of a character by completing a quest, the character is born with a specific race with genetic characteristics that influence the character which gives it certain advantages/disadvantages.

Also, it would make paying attention to an enemy's appearance meaningless. For example, if you see an orc, you would normally be able to assume that you should probably be prepared for more physical damage than usual, but with your idea, it could be an elf that focuses on magic. This makes no sense.

I suggest considering all the racial perks when making a character, and making a choice based on that. Or if you want, just make the decision on aesthetics instead. Then, be happy with your choice.
  • Asgerr wrote: »
    AntVictus wrote: »
    No.

I second this

third this.

Reasoning is the same that were provided. Choices should matter, watering down the consequences is the direction the game doesn't want to go towards. That's WoW.
    With a very long leveling/ character building process you dont need to relevel the same class, just because you picked the wrong race at Level 1 (for casuals, or people who like a new flavour after 2000 hours played).

This literally affects only a small subset of players. Those that care for the minor advantages you might get through the correct racial choice do their due diligence before they create their character. Those that do not won't suddenly start caring once they reach an advanced level.
  • edited February 2021
    Race change seems both unnecessary and unreasonble, as race will play fundemental part in character creation, build making and skills mechanics.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Separating the racial appearance from the racial attributes leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I know it makes it easier to min-max and allows you to create a Frontline Elf (why?), but I do think it impinges on both the identity of all races and on the significance of player choice.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • RhuricRhuric Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    I am also going to say no.

It system is already tied to to many other systems.

Not everyone can or should be able to do or be everything.
    Choices should matter.

I agree with this. Some choices are going to be big, like Archetype and Race. Those should matter. Those two choices are a large part of a characters identity, that should include the pros and cons of the chosen race.

There shouldn't be any way to bypass that because some regrets their racial choice.
    "Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, GLORIOUSLY alive, today."
  • In case you're wondering, we probably don't need a "Racial Benefits 3" thread.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • To the original post:
    No. Thank you for your contribution.
    I want each race to have their own thing going on and not have identity crisis players messing with my head.

l
    daveywavey wrote: »
    In case you're wondering, we probably don't need a "Racial Benefits 3" thread.

I don't mind a "Racial Benefits 3" thread so long as it isn't a repost of this discussion hoping for a different outcome.

The problem with Racial Benefit discussions in general is that so many can't get past the emotions they associate with a stumpy Dunir, obese halflings (sorry, "Nikua"), obnoxious Empyrean, weedy Py'Rai, no brain Ren'Kai, spaced out Vek, vanilla Kaelar, slippery Vaelune or inbred Tulnar.
    I'm an equal opportunity insulter, so I hope I've covered everyone.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • McMackMuck wrote: »
    I'm an equal opportunity insulter, so I hope I've covered everyone.

:D:D:D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/