Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Non-Spoiler Lore Questions for Intrepid!

So, I think that there's been some miscommunication when it comes to what we're asking for with lore. We do understand that there will be a lot of secrets and storylines that Intrepid don't want spoiled, but people right now are looking for the sort of lore to flesh their characters/guilds out.

Because of this, a lot of people are finding the lack of anything to go by somewhat frustrating. In terms of the game I've heard it essentially said—How can you be excited about the lore/story aspect of the game if you don't know anything about it? I find the concern understandable. Unlike nodes, sieges, corruption, dungeons and raids, pve, and crafting—almost nothing is known when it comes to the lore of Ashes.

So, I decided to compile a list of questions (getting input from multiple people) that would be considered "foundational". Not asking them to spoil any part of the overarching story/narrative—but instead asking questions that would give us a peek into the things we should already know stepping out of the portals. Not about the secrets of the world, but common knowledge to the races!

-How long has it been since our ancestors left the world? "Thousands of years" has been stated, anything more specific?
-Name(s) of the world?
-Where did the races go/return from?
-Did they go to multiple dimensions, or just one?
-It's been said that the disaster that drove our ancestors from the world wasn't recorded aside from legend—What are those legends? Do different cultures have different legends?
-Are there names for the areas/regions of the world?
-How do the portals work?
-What are some famous cultural stories/figures?
-What caused the original four races to split into different sub-races?
-General stereotypes/outlooks of races from the perspectives of outsiders?
-What are the lifespans of the races?
-What sort of cultures do the different races come from? How are their societies structured?
-What are the gods and their focuses?
-What's the lore behind the classes?
[5-17-2017 Additions]
-Do all the races share a similar language or do they each have their own, or both?
-What kind of technology will we have access to? (Steampunk? Magitech?)

Comments

• Bumping this. We've been promised lore since before the Kickstarter and haven't really gotten.... anything. Except about a paragraph each for the subraces. I understand y'all are super busy, but c'mon. All the questions about mechanics are things that are super-niche; All I want is something broad and informative about the the world that I'm about to throw my characters to the mercy to. Hell, I don't even know what race I want to play except based purely on aesthetics and past MMO experience; I may actually play a dwarf if their lore is compelling and intriguing.
  • We are discussing what we can share. Will update soon(tm).
  • *Throws glitter and attempts to hug Yaviey and the Devs*
    Thank-you.

Personally I'm interested in what any character might have been doing prior to stepping through a portal, I hope that this lore actually makes it to the game as an 'intro' level.

Were each race alone?
    Will we have met the other races before the world was deserted?
    If so, who should each race hate or admire?
    Etc etc....

[Insert promo flyer for local band Yaviey and the Devs here]
  • I think you need some music in here!
  • [quote quote=24247]We are discussing what we can share. Will update soon(tm).[/quote]

Possibly in a stream? Not trying to be the bull in a china shop....

Ox
  • The world name would be a good start.
  • Glad that mine made it on the list! \o/
  • Ohh this is nice!
  • Yes please. I very much would love to support the kickstarter as well, but I am hesitant to do so for a game that doesn't have a well-formed lore. The world in which we are going to spend our time is at least equally as important as gameplay mechanics... if the IP is not engaging, it won't matter what the mechanics are (at least to me, and I believe fellow lore-travelers).

We get the concept of building our own civilizations, but what are the antagonists? What is the nature of the world in which we find ourselves? Is it divine-bestowed powers, is it tappable magic, is it innate magic, is it ancient mysticism, shamanism, druidism? What is the high fantasy culture that is described?

To be honest, without anything other than "high fantasy world" mentioned by Steven, we have nothing to go on. Is the lore and compendium expected to be fully fleshed out by release, and an incapsulated world like established IPs, or is it going to be a growing lore world that evolves with updates, events, quests, and characters that we find through exploration?
  • This was in the Unreal article released today.. maybe a little more info than we had before..

Q: What can you tell us about the game’s story? Is there a central antagonist that all players will ultimately be attempting to tackle?

Long ago, the world of Ashes was besieged by a great calamity. Your ancestors were forced to flee their world through these great divine gateways, seeking refuge in a place void of magic. The gateways dimmed shortly after this exodus, and were buried under the rubble of countless conflicts over vast periods of time. Centuries turned to millennia, history into legend. After all this time, the people have forgotten the stories of their past. Until now. The gateways have once again begun to move, what was buried and forgotten, has now risen to the surface. The nations of the world have begun to send expeditions through these portals, to re-discover their past and explore this great new world.

In Ashes of Creation, you start out in the world having come back through the Great Divine Gateways. You come from a non-magical world, where many nations and races exist. These pioneers have different goals and objectives. You have arrived to rediscover, rebuild and repopulate this world of your origin. Ancient treasures await those who dare to disturb the darkness, remnants of the evil that decimated your ancestors.

In Ashes, we have an overarching story that players participate in as both an individual and a member of your server’s community. Your choices influence that narrative. This narrative includes a group of central antagonists that drive the action, but you’ll have to play the game to find out more about them!

Maddstone
  • <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/non-spoiler-lore-questions-for-intrepid/#post-27744">Maddstone wrote:</a></div>This was in the Unreal article released today.. maybe a little more info than we had before..

Q: What can you tell us about the game’s story? Is there a central antagonist that all players will ultimately be attempting to tackle?

Long ago, the world of Ashes was besieged by a great calamity. Your ancestors were forced to flee their world through these great divine gateways, seeking refuge in a place void of magic. The gateways dimmed shortly after this exodus, and were buried under the rubble of countless conflicts over vast periods of time. Centuries turned to millennia, history into legend. After all this time, the people have forgotten the stories of their past. Until now. The gateways have once again begun to move, what was buried and forgotten, has now risen to the surface. The nations of the world have begun to send expeditions through these portals, to re-discover their past and explore this great new world.

In Ashes of Creation, you start out in the world having come back through the Great Divine Gateways. You come from a non-magical world, where many nations and races exist. These pioneers have different goals and objectives. You have arrived to rediscover, rebuild and repopulate this world of your origin. Ancient treasures await those who dare to disturb the darkness, remnants of the evil that decimated your ancestors.

In Ashes, we have an overarching story that players participate in as both an individual and a member of your server’s community. Your choices influence that narrative. This narrative includes a group of central antagonists that drive the action, but you’ll have to play the game to find out more about them!

Maddstone

</blockquote>

Thanks for posting this! Really appreciated. I'm excited to hear more of the history. I love that the future is not set in stone and we can carve our own destiny but I also adore that there is history to be discovered ^^ Really is magical :3
  • <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/non-spoiler-lore-questions-for-intrepid/#post-27744">Maddstone wrote:</a></div>This was in the Unreal article released today.. maybe a little more info than we had before..

Maddstone

</blockquote>

Thankyou for posting this :3 Really appreciate it :D I love that the future is not set and that we can carve our own destiny ^^ I also adore that the history is there to be discovered :D Really is magical :D

Maddstone

</blockquote>

Really appreciate this post! Thankyou so much :D I love that the future isn't written and that we can carve our own destiny but the history is still there to be discovered. Really is magical - despite the world is trying to destroy us xD
  • ^
    Since cookiepost monster won't let me quote you @Maddstone

Really appreciate this post! Thankyou so much :D I love that the future isn't written and that we can carve our own destiny but the history is still there to be discovered. Really is magical - despite the world is trying to destroy us xD
  • Cookiepost monster felt bad about swallowing all of your posts so it gave them back