Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Chapter Thirteen: Taking the Lead

jta13-1920x1080.jpg

Thanks to our valiant defense efforts, the village drives back the siege attackers and remains standing to see another day! As the smoke clears, citizens begin to approach us - impressed with our composure and coordination during the attack, several suggest we should campaign to run for mayor.

What platform do we campaign on?

⚖ Lowering taxes for everyone
🏗 Building new services for the village
community_management.gif

Chapter Thirteen: Taking the Lead 93 votes

⚖ Lowering taxes for everyone
10% 10 votes
🏗 Building new services for the village
89% 83 votes

Comments

• AlvalonAlvalon Member
    edited March 2021
    With these type of mayors... nobody lowering taxes, the game will be a real something... xD
  • more taxes for rich player pls :p
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Build new services. Services can assist all, tax reduction can assist a few.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • AmarAmar Member
    edited March 2021
    Services to find out more about our gem... Services take resources and skilled craftspeople... Resources and skilled craftspeople take money... Money for a town takes taxes... In life, the only things certain are Death and Taxes!!! :D
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Light on information
    What are taxes going in?
    What services are already there and what is missing we need to build?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • amalgamemnonamalgamemnon Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Offering more services attracts more people, increasing demand for services, attracting more people.

Lowering taxes reduces the effectiveness of the government and gives people the cash they need to more easily relocate to somewhere offering better services.

Obviously, provide more services.
  • We shall build new services for everyone!! (and secretly gives all construction contracts to crafters in our party/guild. Tax money, good money.)

... Did we forget about our gem?
  • Alvalon wrote: »
    With these type of mayors... nobody lowering taxes, the game will be a real something... xD

I thought the same THING! Meaningful conflict will be an understatement!
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Lowering taxes is a sure election win, but is worse for the village in the long run.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Jesus, seriously guys? You know that, if taxes are to high, everyone with money will just go find another node to live in? And if taxes in our node are low, there is a greater chance that rich people will come to our village and help build it. Sure, in that case we have to little information, but after all, taxes should be as low a possible. People should be rich, not the government.
  • NeurotoxinNeurotoxin Member, Alpha One
    Building up the node and its facilities is vital for future productivity and defense. If we stick around, this gem's purpose may be revealed through advancement of a facility that can help us identify its properties. At the same time, defenses and fortifications will help when the trade node inevitably returns to try again, and buildings for developing superiors weapons and armor--and the training facilities for all residents to use them--will help them become self-sufficient in assault and defense beyond the walls.

I don't know if this place will serve as a permanent home, but now that we've been recognized for our efforts, it may be worthwhile to consider putting down roots and forming a guild. Aiding in the rebuilding and upgrading process will help us allocate resources for a guild hall, but we've got to be ready to get our hands dirty, especially protecting resource gatherers from bandits, beasts, and other lurking threats.
  • NeurotoxinNeurotoxin Member, Alpha One
    I get the feeling there's no rich people in this town--they already live in the trade town. Raising taxes can be done in ways where the poorest are elevated, while the "wealthiest" can see the direct impact of their earnings going to advancements that will ultimately preserve and expand their earning capacity. Nobody will be taxed out of their home, taxed out of access to food and clothes, and the process of rebuilding and upgrading is a meaningful government-driven employment program that guarantees every resident a dignified job with reasonable wages.
  • ArcaneyArcaney Member
    edited March 2021
    Taxes should be fair and square for everyone. No such thing like rich people pay more. If we low taxes in our village, maybe the rich people from trading village will come, because this will be better place for their business. Then more and more people will come. And then they will be paying for village defenses and thanks for their money our node could grow and become great and shining metropolis. If citizens of the node are rich then also node itself is rich and people can donate money in the time of need, when war is upon us or other danger threaten us.
  • give me the new services!!!
    a34ad54277341e048554a1bf88ee6284.jpg

Heroes Fade but Legends last forever

• Pffffft, "low taxes". How am I gonna get rich off "low taxes"?!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Did we forget about our gem?

Ahem. MY gem!
  • McMackMuckMcMackMuck Member
    edited March 2021
    <Sat down, stuffing some dead leaves into a smoking pipe, lighting it and hoping for the best>

"As the smoke clears, citizens begin to approach us - impressed with our composure and coordination during the attack, several suggest we should campaign to run for mayor."

Ahh, scientific node. <cough splutter!> Note to self, try different leaves next time.

I'm thinking that as soon as they see several butts try to sit in one seat they will be somewhat less impressed with our composure and coordination. Let @Nagash have the position if he wants it; he's already sat down and he's got a knack of getting some of the older members of the local populace to work for free. It's sort of like pulling people out of retirement without needing to pay them or provide healthcare. If he could get them to take residency and vote he could be on to a winner.

If you need me I'll be in the Tav.... ohh <looking around> Hmm, any objections if we build a Tavern?
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Amar wrote: »
    Services to find out more about our gem... Services take resources and skilled craftspeople... Resources and skilled craftspeople take money... Money for a town takes taxes... In life, the only things certain are Death and Taxes!!! :D

Glad someone remembered the plot!
    Forum_Signature.png
  • *flips pages of a dictionary frantically* taxes...yes. Lowering...what? *wheezes in shock, wipes brow*

Services, much better. That way, more people spend more money. More taxes. Then we raise the taxes because there are more services.

Then we lower the taxes for the rich who move to our place, bringing their business to us. Which in turn enables us to build services for those rich people. The poor cannot afford to leave, they rich don't want to. Win-Win-Win. No one loses.
  • Grimfaldra wrote: »
    Then we lower the taxes for the rich who move to our place, bringing their business to us. Which in turn enables us to build services for those rich people. The poor cannot afford to leave, they rich don't want to. Win-Win-Win. No one loses.

Whaaaaat?! We raise the taxes for the rich, and with the money we get, we hire extra guards to stop anybody from leaving!