Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Chapter Fifteen: Professional Ambitions

jta15-1920.jpg

Construction of our new local blacksmith is now underway! While we wait for our fellow citizens to gather and donate resources, we decide to brush up on some of our artisan skills - so we can be better prepared to make use of our precious gem.

What profession should we focus on?

🗡 Weapon smithing
🛡 Armor smithing
community_management.gif

Chapter Fifteen: Professional Ambitions 130 votes

🗡 Weapon smithing
58% 76 votes
🛡 Armor smithing
41% 54 votes

Comments

• NeurotoxinNeurotoxin Member, Alpha One
    edited March 2021
    Weapons. Armored citizens and guards are great, but if they can't defend themselves, it is pretty worthless in a battle. Meanwhile science weapons open up a wide range of equipment that can help making sieges extremely deadly to attackers before they've even reached the walls. We can probably recruit apprentices from among the community to start learning the basics and producing simpler armors while weapon tech will be much more advanced.
  • OkkeOkke Member
    Without good weapon your armor is only ballast.
  • Let the leather workers and tailores focus on armours.
    The best defense is a good offense and remember "speak softly and carry a big stick".
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Can't stabby stabby with out a good sharp sword.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Wanna see those science weapons :wink:
  • Why not both? The legendary swordsmith Nagasone Kotetsu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagasone_Kotetsu) started as an armorer, but became a master swordsmith later on.
  • Without good armour, weapons cannot be used because you will be dead from long ranged attacks.
  • GodIsHereForUGodIsHereForU Member
    edited April 2021
    armor is too inefficient to make with our relatively new town, even though every building is a blacksmith. spears, bows and arrows are top priority, shields are nice too but as long as we stay in our walls and fire volleys keeping them at a distance there will be no need for shields on the wall. save the transmog competitions for later.
  • AmarAmar Member
    I'll take a nice high quality bow or crossbow at range thank you... and i like light armor anyway to move fast...
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You need arms before you can be useful in armour, WEAPONS FIRST!
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • stamosstamos Member, Explorer
    Considering that we will be able to customize (some) stats on the gear pieces it would make more sense to focus on armorsmithing as it will enable us to wrap the gear around our playstyle/preferences.
    Additionally, the lack of base stats will make combat more inefficient. Low stamina or armor or agility (you name it) will minimize your uptime & survivability, hence disabling a good weapon from performing up to its full potential.
  • Not My Amore beat the Attacks , its my Sword.
  • Weapon smithing first, armor smithing later. :*
    lOdSqVw.png
    Are you looking for an amazing community with lovely people? Join the Aurora Discord now and chat with us!
    We are recruiting!
  • McMackMuckMcMackMuck Member
    edited April 2021
    "I fight with words, I defend myself with words, if I need more then things have gone wrong!"

<jumps up onto soap box>

"I have read a lot of history books, in many languages, giving different sides of the same battle and different experiences. I have read of brave heroes. I have read of despicable villains."

<clearing his throat and looking around, like classical actor playing with the crowd's anticipation...>

"I have read of battles won by superior tactics only for the war to be lost to superior strategy.
    I have read of battles won through superior weapons or through superior armor.
    I have read of battles being won by combatants without armor.....
    BUT.....I have never once read of battles being won by combatants without weapons, unless we are including diplomacy and negotiation.
    So, I conclude, the history books teach us that for military success we must first arm ourselves with weapons. Armor is a secondary requirement.

I would also like to propose that we put a tavern freehold somewhere on our 'to do' list."
    Forum_Signature.png
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    To many people fighting not to lose instead of fighting to win.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Both. Weapon variety is a must and amor variety add such a quality on character creation and ambiency.
  • GreevzGreevz Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    I expect both should be the focus, I don't want to have to be on the cash shop every time I want new armour designs or weapons, but I do enjoy finding different weapon designs over armours.
    1.png
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Neurotoxin wrote: »
    Weapons. Armored citizens and guards are great, but if they can't defend themselves, it is pretty worthless in a battle. Meanwhile science weapons open up a wide range of equipment that can help making sieges extremely deadly to attackers before they've even reached the walls. We can probably recruit apprentices from among the community to start learning the basics and producing simpler armors while weapon tech will be much more advanced.

What if every citizen decided to dual wield shields like some of these dorks have suggested? lol
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Khronus wrote: »
    Neurotoxin wrote: »

What if every citizen decided to dual wield shields like some of these dorks have suggested? lol

They're not dorks! :o

They're mistaken :p
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    I would prefer to see that people could defend themselves properly, instead of dying in the wilds while loosing that expensive and masterful crafted weapon.

I assume we have enough animals in the area to hunt, tan the hides, roast the meat, and when we eaten, we make protection to go on hunts in the darker and deeper parts of the forests.

( Then again being a RL leathercrafter, i may be a bit biased )