Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Multi-Player Crafting

As the title suggests, a system of certain items that require multiple people to create. An example would be mochi, with an associated correctly timed button press for the hammer user and the flipper.

I saw this on Reddit and I'm split on whether this is a good idea or not. Any thoughts?

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    If it was on Reddit, it is probably not a good idea.
  • Like Thor and Groot
  • Honestly in the cooking profession I hope that we need to use alchemist products and viceversa to increase the trade between artisans, could be cool.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2021
    interdependencies between artisans is in the plans.

As for ACTIVE cooperative crafting, the sentiment has been that they don't want to mini-game the crafting system. If they do, it'd be for niche items. That sounds like a big system for a small set of items.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • RintaRinta Member
    Penguinos wrote: »
    As the title suggests, a system of certain items that require multiple people to create. An example would be mochi, with an associated correctly timed button press for the hammer user and the flipper.

I saw this on Reddit and I'm split on whether this is a good idea or not. Any thoughts?

Some kind of direct collaboration between crafters (more than just buying other crafters' items off market) would be so cool!

In one of earlier discussions about guildmember retention, I was talking about guild achievements for smaller / non-combat-oriented guilds, and my thoughts went in a similar direction of potential for crafter guild to have a collaborative project (that is impossible to do with just one character), that would be branded with guild name instead of individual crafter name.
    But this does sound like a cool feature even outside of guild context.

It doesn't have to be a mini-game specifically (although I do like the idea of crafting mini-games):
    - It could be an automated collaboration - two (or more) crafters of specific professions / with specific profession skills click on the same piece of equipment, and the game automatically plays an animation of them collaborating (same as solo auto-crafting, but with more players).
    - It could be a quest-based collaboration - few crafters register for the quest together, and then the sequence of crafting by each of them is defined by quest logic, with quest NPC responsible for passing items around.
    - It could be an enhancing mechanics where you craft a base item, but to improve it further - you must have another crafter do something to it (for example, a smith makes a base dagger branded with their name, which only they can improve, but to make it into a Wondorous Dagger of Dragon Steel - they first need an alchemist to boil it in the Dragonsteel Solution of Bravery)
    The potential is infinite B)
    In all of these examples the idea is that people would have to coordinate with each other, which makes it into direct collaboration.
  • Well, to craft a lot of things in this game will require all sorts of different professions that one player will not have the time to level. Think of a caravan, it needs wood planks from lumberers and wood workers, door hinges and other metal bits from miners and blacksmiths, animals that come from animal husbandry. So in a way the professions are multiplayer focused, but not in the sense that 5 people need to be together at the same time to craft one thing.