Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Class System, does it need Overhaul?

2»

Comments

• DreohDreoh Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    I'm kinda interested on where in the wiki OP found the info used in his original post or if he just straight up misunderstood what he read there....
    As am I.

For someone to be that wrong, they usually have a piece of information in their head that they got from somewhere and they just assumed it was right (usually Reddit). Intil that piece of information is identified and corrected, they will continue to have the wrong idea.

Since I couldn't figure out how the OP got as misinformed as they did, I didn't see a point in trying to correct them. Rather, the best thing to do was (and still is) on my opinion to let them know they have it wrong so that they can identify why they are so far off.

I thought of the possibility of incorrect information on the wiki.
    As did I.

If I saw something on the wiki that looked like it could have been where the OP got the wrong info from, I would then have had something to correct. Problem is, the OP was wrong on almost everything they thought about the class system.

Trying to correct people when you can't see how they got to the conclusion they got to is much harder than just saying they got to the wrong conclusion and leaving them to work out the why part of that

Since the OP already made it obvious that they were happy to try and look things up for themselves, I saw (and still see) no point in doing more than pointing out that they are misinformed - made even more true by the fact that there was a direct question asked as to whether they were misinformed or not.

Others may offer up more than that, and good for them. I'm one to let people at least try and find the correct info themself - especially when they have made it obvious that they are willing to do that. If someone is looking for information themself and is on the wrong path, pointing out that they are on the wrong path is all that should be needed, imo. They can then go back and try and find that right path.

Even with others telling him what it is that he got wrong, the OP will still no doubt have spent several hours on the wiki looking at what information is there - exactly the same as he would if my reply was the only one to this thread.

Maybe people would think it less of an issue if I used a smily face or some shit.

Aka, being a dick
  • edited April 2021
    I'm kinda interested on where in the wiki OP found the info used in his original post or if he just straight up misunderstood what he read there....
    As am I.

For someone to be that wrong, they usually have a piece of information in their head that they got from somewhere and they just assumed it was right (usually Reddit). Intil that piece of information is identified and corrected, they will continue to have the wrong idea.

Since I couldn't figure out how the OP got as misinformed as they did, I didn't see a point in trying to correct them. Rather, the best thing to do was (and still is) on my opinion to let them know they have it wrong so that they can identify why they are so far off.

As did I.

If I saw something on the wiki that looked like it could have been where the OP got the wrong info from, I would then have had something to correct. Problem is, the OP was wrong on almost everything they thought about the class system.

Trying to correct people when you can't see how they got to the conclusion they got to is much harder than just saying they got to the wrong conclusion and leaving them to work out the why part of that

Since the OP already made it obvious that they were happy to try and look things up for themselves, I saw (and still see) no point in doing more than pointing out that they are misinformed - made even more true by the fact that there was a direct question asked as to whether they were misinformed or not.

Others may offer up more than that, and good for them. I'm one to let people at least try and find the correct info themself - especially when they have made it obvious that they are willing to do that. If someone is looking for information themself and is on the wrong path, pointing out that they are on the wrong path is all that should be needed, imo. They can then go back and try and find that right path.

Even with others telling him what it is that he got wrong, the OP will still no doubt have spent several hours on the wiki looking at what information is there - exactly the same as he would if my reply was the only one to this thread.

Maybe people would think it less of an issue if I used a smily face or some shit.

Hm i understand your point of view and how you approached the post's question, it seems reasonable even tho it wouldn't be my method. Everyone has their own modus operandi and is entitled to their own opinions.
    Some misunderstandings happens, as expressing intent through letters can be quite difficult sometimes.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dreoh wrote: »
    As am I.

As did I.

Aka, being a dick

Question; am I misinformed about this thing?
    Answer; yes.

Where is being a dick in that?

You seem to have forgotten, the OP specifically asked if they were misinformed, I answered that question in a way that leaves no ambiguity at all.

A dick is the kind of person that would claim someone that just gave a direct answer to a direct person is being a dick.
  • PalagosPalagos Member
    edited April 2021
    Thank you all for your help. It's obvious that you all try to help in your own way and I appreciate it a lot.

@JamesSunderland I tried to find the page from the wiki but I couldn't find it, I am not sure if I simply misread or it was stated in another page on the wiki other than the class page.

@Noaani I appreciate your help but it's honestly hard to know you were helping from your first comment. Your reply didn't contribute in any way, since I said I read on the wiki it was a certain way and you said it was wrong, I was unsure if wiki was wrong and where to find information. Also I asked other questions which you didn't contend with in any way. You can answer any way you want but because of that initial minimal answer you have written almost an essay explaining yourself, might just be faster to go the extra step next time but judging from your answers you don't want to, and that's fine too but this might happen to you again.

Edit: Spelling error
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Palagos welcome to the community.

Next month the NDA will be lifted and with a bit of luck there might just be a gradual shift away from quoting and miss quoting and counter quoting of what the wiki or Steven and/or what Tom, Dick and Harriet believe they know or don`t know on the forums to some visual diversions and more vibrant discussions.
  • McMackMuckMcMackMuck Member
    edited April 2021
    @Palagos Welcome! I only discovered Ashes 6 months ago and I also found some elements of the community to be a little cranky. I pop in here every few days to see what is being discussed.

MY OPINIONS...
    I (try to) ignore comments I don't find helpful and just thank those that are helpful. That way I don't spend valuable minutes of my life unproductively wading into a mud slinging matches against random people on the internet.

If anyone is missing information on the game then I wholeheartedly recommend...
    1) reading up on:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
    https://ashes101.com/
    I found that Jahlon's videos are quick way to absorb information as he's pretty direct; other official content creators are available! Search around and see which format you prefer. Within a couple of months, depending on your spare time, you should have caught up with the basic concepts.

2a) Ask QUESTIONS in the official Ashes of Creation Discord \ Questions channel.
    There are a number of very responsive and well informed people there that will get you up to speed with the current state of the game development. There's no such thing as a dumb question, although knowing exactly how to ask the question so that it can be easily answered can sometimes be tricky (for me, at least!).

2b) Ask QUESTIONS in the Forum using "Ask A Question"
    It doesn't seem to be as easy to find the Question creation as it should be, but I don't use this method so maybe I'm missing an easier route.
    "CATEGORIES at the top of page, NEW DISCUSSION on the right hand side with 'Ask a Question' as a drop down box".
    I think some elements of the (forum) community get a little annoyed when people use DISCUSSION to ask a question that shows they haven't done their research. They don't always stop to check if the poster is new or not before criticizing. I'm in favor of just pointing people at the above links.

I think it's healthy for us to focus on the common goal of seeing Ashes of Creation released with the best guidance/feedback we can collectively offer. It helps if you know the current state of the game development before starting discussions in the forum, otherwise some people may pick holes in your comments.

I hope this helps everyone that takes the time to read it!
    Mack
    Forum_Signature.png
  • @Palagos Welcome to the community bro. I recommend lazypeons video on ashes. He gave a nice overview of the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s82xJnx1EY
  • @Tulima @McMackMuck @akabear
    Thank you all for the welcoming! Super excited for this game. I will definitely check out all the resources you linked!
  • Palagos wrote: »
    Thank you all for your help. It's obvious that you all try to help in your own way and I appreciate it a lot.

@JamesSunderland I tried to find the page from the wiki but I couldn't find it, I am not sure if I simply misread or it was stated in another page on the wiki other than the class page.

You're welcome mate, any questions just ask, if unable to find in the wiki, and please make sure to report any future inconsistency in the wiki if possible.

6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Palagos wrote: »
    @/Caeryl If you look at OP you can read that I was initially misinformed regarding the class system, for example I thought there would be no skill tree at all. With that "knowledge" I decided to post this thread in order to either give my opinion on why skill trees are necessary and to learn more, or simply just to learn more, which I did.

You can also read that I literally just joined the movement for this game, so I don't understand the hostility coming from you at all. I am just excited for the game and want to know more/help make it better mate, and that's why I created the thread, no evil motives.

Edit: Sentence structure

Hostility and exasperation aren’t in the same ballpark. Clearly you know better now that you’ve done some shallow research, so it’s all a moot point anyway.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hi @Palagos and welcome to the Ashes community. As others have said, please feel free to ask whatever questions you like.

To everyone else in this thread, I'd like to remind you all that asking a question isn't a crime, nor is it an excuse to be dismissive or unfriendly to fellow users. If you think someone has broken the rules then please use the report function, and if another user is annoying you, you can always use the "ignore" function by clicking on their name, then clicking the little person icon on their profile.

Anyway, since the initial question has been answered, and there doesn't appear to be any other useful discussion happening here, I'm going to close this thread now.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
This discussion has been closed.