Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Corrupted Tree Raid idea

So the March 26th 2021 livestream gave me an idea for a possible world raid boss and hopefully with enough feedback, we can see it someday.
First off, looks like a normal big tree at first but due to the nature of corruption in the area it has "evolved" into a malevolent entity that must either be purified or destroyed. Unwitting players trigger it by coming too close to its proximity.
Upon awakening this tree it lashes out vines to grapple and pull players into its mouth where the players will drop down into the root system. Here, rot grubs and other venomous insects will start attacking. You must fend them off and do some significant damage to the roots to be launched back out to the outside.
Meanwhile, outside has its own problems to contend with. The branches act as massive cudgels, steadily waylaying the adventurers seen as the most threatening, as it shakes - the roots cause an earthquake-like effect that knocks unsteadied combatants to the ground temporarily, the hulking center mass then falls over and rolls 360 to crush all those unable to escape. Its trunk starts glowing more vibrant just before it unleashes a bark explosion that deals some damage to surrounding melee and possibly putting a dot for corrupted or disease damage upon them.
As you cut and break branches off, they act as mobile mini treants that start going after ranged and healer players, as well as centipedes and other venomous and diseased insects pour out of the trees wound.

Resistance to earth and fire due to the corrupted nature
Vulnerable to holy or radiant damage

Might be able to use the drops to create interesting weapons and shields

Still need names and other suggestions to round it out. (Throttler, Barker, Tim-Short-for-TImber, The Taking Tree, Poison Ivan, Rooty, Fall and Oaks, Sickamore, and Phil)

I think this would be an interesting way to fight back some of the corruption.

Would love to hear any feedback!

Comments

• WoodOxWoodOx Member, Explorer, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sounds like a crazy fight, reminds me of the womping willow in Harry Potter. I'd call it The Bloodsoaked Oak.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If not killed, and if it eats enough players, it could drop acorns. Acorns, in a bit of time, grow into baby saplings...which in turn grow into monster trees. Over the course of some months this would become a blight which the nearby nodes will have to unite to overcome, lest the area becomes uninhabitable.

In other words, good idea.
  • tautau wrote: »
    If not killed, and if it eats enough players, it could drop acorns. Acorns, in a bit of time, grow into baby saplings...which in turn grow into monster trees. Over the course of some months this would become a blight which the nearby nodes will have to unite to overcome, lest the area becomes uninhabitable.

In other words, good idea.

I love that. Goes perfectly with their risk vs rewards concept they have going!