Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Next Live Stream + Q&A Submission - Friday, April 30, 2021 at 12PM PDT

Comments

• Half Tilt GamerHalf Tilt Gamer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Will corrupt players be able to change gear? I think it would be best if as a corrupted player you couldn't swap gear until you became normal again. This would add a lot more risk to going corrupt unless you pre-meditated your PK spree.
    Find me on Youtube and Twitch as Half Tilt Gamer!
  • My question is : There will be, by any chance, skill quests? For example, a Bard find a lost song that he can learn as a skill. A mage learn a ancient spell from a Ifrit on a secret dungeon. An old swordsman veteran who now lives in the woods teachs u mount skills.
  • Will the game incorporate dragon eggs for starting players to nurture until their dragon hatches? and will each dragon be unique unlike anyone else’s?
    Would love to see this making everyone stand out and not having the same dragon model.
  • ValoxValox Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2021
    Throughout your videos I see that you interact with npcs and objects with "E", will we be able to right click on those objects to interact with as well incase I want to bind a skill to "E"?
  • two questions
    1. Is there an updated timeline for alphas/betas?
    2. Is the combat developed enough where we might be able to see a comprehensive video on some of the different classes?
  • froustysnomanfroustysnoman Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hola! I understand that freeholds are limited to 1 per account, but if you get married ingame, could you get a larger combined freehold with your spouse ? i would definately have more attachment to a shared abode than if we had seperate ones, in seperate places
  • avoxiaavoxia Member, Alpha One
    I have a question about Guild structure, what will the officer ranking system inside an Ashes guild look like? What are the ranks and how many people can I assign to those ranks?

Example: Leader > 2nd in command > Officer ect..
  • Sago65Sago65 Member
    edited April 2021
    I really liked the disintegrating to ash animation we saw last stream, looks amazing for a first pass.
    My question is: Do all living things on Verra disintegrate to ash upon dying?

Edit: In regards to Dreoh's response, yes all the players are blessed by the goddess of life, but wouldn't that also apply to every other living creature on Verra too? I guess another way to word my question is what creatures don't disintegrate to ash, given that everything besides the corrupted (and maybe tulnar?) came from the goddess of life?
  • WillyG wrote: »
    Will the game incorporate dragon eggs for starting players to nurture until their dragon hatches? and will each dragon be unique unlike anyone else’s?
    Would love to see this making everyone stand out and not having the same dragon model.

Dragons (sometimes referred to as Wyrms or Wyrmlings) are able to be used as mounts, others will serve as NPCs: Some will be bosses or monsters that players can fight.

Dragon mounts are classed as royal mounts (tier 3) that are capable of true flight when utilized by Mayors of metropolis nodes or Kings and Queens of Guild castles.

Royal mounts are 3 or 4 times larger than gliding mounts (tier 2 mounts).

Certain tier 2 mount skins can be upgraded to tier 3 skins to accommodate the size difference.

Dragon eggs can also drop from legendary world bosses. These will be temporary mounts that exist for a limited duration.

We reserved it to very very few people per server, which is also going to make it a lot more meaningful when those flying dragons come into play for certain events. – Steven Sharif

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Royal_mounts

As stated in other content, you can expect about 10 players to have a flying mount on the server at any time (that is out of 10.000 concurrent players at launch).
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited April 2021
    Kerik wrote: »
    I know that there is going to be a race that lives underground. I know we've been told about general map size, but how big is the "under realm" going to be compared to the overworld? Will there be nodes underground as well?

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Underrealm#Underrealm_nodes

The Underrealm is estimated to be 100 km2 in area.
    The underrealm is not contiguous across the entire map. There will be areas that are obstructed by chasms or other features.

The location of Underrealm entrances throughout the world is focused around natural geographic choke-points that exist above ground. This provides alternate subterranean routes that can be used by caravans, raids, and other player activities.

Not all entrances to the Underrealm will be open at the same time. This can shift dynamically (based on node states) that cause different routes to open up, which may be more or less advantageous than other routes.
    The expansiveness of the Underrealm itself is quite large. It does persist across across a lot of the playable game area that's above ground. So there are alternatives in the Underrealm for passages and traversal throughout the world. – Steven Sharif

We've also talked about node states affecting what openings are open and what things are closed. So not all entrances to the Underrealm will be open at the same time. So that configuration can shift and different routes will open up and be more advantageous than other routes. – Jeffrey Bard

Underrealm nodes and nodes directly above them are considered adjacent but do not exist in the same ZOI.

There will be "bleed over" between underrealm nodes and surface nodes in terms of influence and interaction.
    There may be visual queues above ground that indicate influence from underrealm nodes in that area.

That might be a little bit of a departure from our design in the past. I know originally you know like two-plus years ago we were discussing how those would be independent of each other, but I think as we further defined the layout of the world map itself you know it made more sense for those to have some interaction and influence that's combined.– Steven Sharif
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • SoggyBandaidSoggyBandaid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Just wanted to give a general thanks to @Asgerr for answering so many questions, and citing the AoC wiki for reference. AoC is an evolving game with an evolving community. I found it helpful to see some questions answered in real time. Thanks!
  • Wondering if there will be a role for someone that just wants to roam the world - a nomad type. Not completely tied to any one node; but may have connections with several. Someone that could earn the trust of a node by providing a service or trading. Maybe fight for different nodes based on opportunity, etc. Maybe that nomad could earn a monster coin and be called to fight for the node when needed. There is a book by Peter Brett called The Warded Man that could fit this well. Just a thought as I am not that interested in PVP or battles, etc. I just like to wander and explore - the animal breeding sounds interesting to me.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2021
    When projectile weapon users attack with aimed action combat moves that use arrows. Will we need to compensate for gravity by aiming in an arc or will the arrows fly straight to where they are aimed?
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Just wanted to give a general thanks to @Asgerr for answering so many questions, and citing the AoC wiki for reference. AoC is an evolving game with an evolving community. I found it helpful to see some questions answered in real time. Thanks!

You're very welcome my brother/sister/wet adhesive bandage @SoggyBandaid
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Darkfuria wrote: »
    Big HI to all the team :-).The bosses in raids ,will always have the same abilities ,or if we facing them on a high progress node they can have more skills or maybe some new phases ?ty

Yes
    The nodes that are influencing the dungeon/raid the boss is in, determine what type of skills the boss has.

This is from 2017/2018 Livestream where Jeff and Steven discussed it.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • DreohDreoh Member
    Sago65 wrote: »
    I really liked the disintegrating to ash animation we saw last stream, looks amazing for a first pass.
    My question is: Do all living things on Verra disintegrate to ash upon dying?

They said when they showed it that the lore is that the people immigrating from Sanctus who have been blessed by the goddess of life are the ones who do it.
    Which now makes me wonder about Tulnar
  • Having played games like WoW, when I see chat boxes above the characters head, it seems more convenient and the game seems more alive because of that.
    Will there be live chat boxes above online players heads, or will chat just be designated to a box in a corner of your screen?

Thank you,
    Buttchubb
  • Justin wrote: »
    Having played games like WoW, when I see chat boxes above the characters head, it seems more convenient and the game seems more alive because of that.
    Will there be live chat boxes above online players heads, or will chat just be designated to a box in a corner of your screen?

Thank you,
    Buttchubb

Chat bubbles will be able to be toggled on or off by players. There will be options to manage the bubbles to reduce visual clutter.

We do want to include chat bubbles. We do want to include a host of options that will allow you to manage those bubbles so you can turn them on, you don't see just a field of bubbles. – Jeffrey Bard

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/In_game_chat
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • RavenHeirRavenHeir Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What are the plans to handle profanity/slurs? I'm assuming toggles for chat filters and player block are straightforward; however, what gets punished and how server the punishment.

For more specific categories:
    untargeted profanity/slurs in chat (not attacking anyone),
    targeted profanity/slurs in-game (gamer words dished out in 'serious' drama)
    continual harassment on other platforms (Discord, Reddit, etc.)
  • KeggerKegger Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2021
    When a player dies, what options do they have to get back in the game and what deterrents exist to counter respawn camping?
  • For Guild Leaders that are granted a Guild Freehold, will they be able to use there Freehold Cosmetics on the Guild Freehold as well as there personal Freehold?
  • With regards to damage types and resistances:
    Will each monster have its own, individually assigned, set of resistances and vulnerabilities or will the game feature specific 'types' with their resistances and vulnerabilities which would then be assigned to each monster?
    I.e., will you do it the D&D way or the Pokémon way?
  • LyonLyon Member
    Would you consider making a community contest for us to enter suggestions for mobtypes/names for the game and the coolest 10 get some alpha or beta keys?
  • What use have stables, when your mounts are an item in your inventory?
  • K1ng0fW4r wrote: »
    What use have stables, when your mounts are an item in your inventory?

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Stables

Stables in Ashes of Creation refer to:

An area used to breed animals within the Animal husbandry profession.
    A building for housing mounts.

Also:
    Royal mounts must be mounted in a royal stables in order to fly.

The royal mounts will be the only class of mounts that can fully fly in the world; and they are will be needed to be mounted while in a royal stables. Royal stables are a building that can be built in a node if elected to be built by the mayor and supported by the community building it up through the quests to do so; and castles come with a royal stable as well. So once you have a royal stable and you become that Mayor or King or Queen, you may then mount the creature there and then take it wherever you wish. – Steven Sharif
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Will there be customized NPCs for players to group/party with, customize the armor, the look, and have them take on a class/profession to develop?
  • My understanding is that PvP marked player can be killed no matter what with no penalty. If a player is marked for PvP, what keeps that player from being griefed by higher level players?
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited April 2021
    FastLoaf wrote: »
    My understanding is that PvP marked player can be killed no matter what with no penalty. If a player is marked for PvP, what keeps that player from being griefed by higher level players?
    (Extra relevant bits are bolded)

There are three levels of flagging for world PvP in Ashes of Creation.

Non-combatant (green)
    • All players start as non-combatants.
    • Non-forced attacks (such as AoE) will not hit non-combatant players.

Combatant (purple)
    • Non-combatants entering an open world battleground are automatically flagged as combatant and remain flagged for a period of time after leaving that battleground.
    • Players are flagged as combatants if they attack another player when carrying out a forced attack. If the attacked players fight back, they are also flagged as combatants, otherwise the attacked player will remain flagged as a non-combatant.
    • Non-combatants who heal, buff or otherwise interact with combatants will be flagged as combatants.
    • Non-combatants who attack a player using combat pets (or any other player-controlled entities) will be flagged as combatants.
    • Non-combatants will not be flagged for looting bodies.
    • Players can kill combatants without repercussions, and are encouraged to do so, since dying while a combatant has reduced death penalties.
    • Players are not able to manually set their flagging status to combatant.
    • Players remain flagged for a period of 90 seconds following their most recent attack on a non-combatant or another combatant.
    • Players cannot log out while flagged.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_flagging
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • GrandSerpentGrandSerpent Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Will a larger enemy creatures in the open world, such as a buffalo, have a longer time-to-kill and more rewards, or will it be more efficient to defeat multiple smaller enemies, and can you give an idea of the time-to-kill you have for a large creature like that?
  • How many Siege Abilities will there be per archetype and what are some examples of some in development?