Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Next Live Stream + Q&A Submission - Friday, April 30, 2021 at 12PM PDT

Comments

• Will there be quests or amount of resources to gather which help you buy play time?
  • Will you add a long list of Achievements for the try-harders such as reveal/visit entire map of Vera on foot? :D and you get to put a badge to your name for others to see - Globetrotter
  • Dranion wrote: »
    Will there be a way to customize your Interface for Healers or show a heal/dps meter for feedback on my own performance ?

My decision is not to allow DPS meters nor add-ons. I feel we have adequate measures in place to prevent a majority of potential third party trackers. I know this subject has passionate voices on both sides and I respect the various opinions and positions many of you have expressed.– Steven Sharif

Addons and DPS meters will not be allowed.

The developers don't want addons/mods to be necessary to experience the game.
    • The design of the game API is still under consideration.
    • There will be integrations available for streaming services such as Twitch and a few other services, but it's not something that will be exposed through an API just yet.
    • The developers believe that parsers (DPS meters) can have negative effects.
    The idea is to make a one-stop-shop from the company when it comes to in-game systems... We don't really want to have addons in my opinion.– Steven Sharif

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Combat#Addons.2F_DPS_meters

There are currently discussions on the matter in the General Discussion section of the forums. Good way to have your voice and opinion recorded.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited April 2021
    Wrennardx wrote: »
    What tools (if any) are you planning to have to help facilitate group making? I understand that you're not adding an automated LFG dungeon tool, but will there be ways to advertise groups and select players?

Bulletin boards

Bulletin boards are available within nodes and player taverns.
    • A market UI lists the current items available for sale in the node and in the same economic region.
    • This includes items for sale in player stalls and auction houses.
    • Players can't purchase directly from the market UI. Instead it gives the location of player stalls where the items may be purchased.
    • Encourage localized grouping.
    • Enable posting of jobs.
    • Quest sponsorship.

Bulletin board jobs

Job types include.
    • Dungeon delving.
    • Quest related.
    • Gathering.
    • Task oriented.
    • Unlocked story arcs.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Group_dynamics#Group_finder
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Seisure wrote: »
    Will there be sometime in the future, the idea of an underwater playable race? the existence of a radically different race is very exciting!

Though no specifically aquatic race:

Tulnar is a playable race in Ashes of Creation. The Tulnar fled to the Underrealm to escape the Corruption that befell Verra.
    • The Tulnar is a combination of four major races and many minor races that were left behind on Verra after the apocalypse.
    • This was previously stated to be three different races.
    • Tulnar stands for "the forgotten".
    • Tulnar are not restricted to the Underrealm (there are no factions).
    • Tulnar eat many things!
    • The Tulnar religion is a combination of religious beliefs of the major races as well as pagan beliefs of the minor races that evolved over time as they coexisted together in the Underrealm.
    • Tulnar are not a result of corruption.
    • The Tulnar have souls and these souls act as conduits for The Essence.
    • The Tulnar do not have avian characteristics. The sentient avian races (such as the Sladeborne) did not take refuge in the Underrealm.

Were the Tulnar a result of corruption in their creation, or was it purely a kind of you know crossbreeding between the multiple minor and major races that existed in the Underrealm during the after the apocalypse? They are not a result of corruption. So there is no corruption that was that was taken into account during their creation.– Steven Sharif

Tulnar is the only race with the capability to adjust racial appearance in a significant manner.
    • Tulnar race does not have sub-types, instead, players will be able to customize the appearance of Tulnar characters.
    • Players will have dials to adjust the reptilian, mammalian, humanoid, and other attributes of their Tulnar character in the Character creator.
    • Mammalian Tulnar may have snout features, fur and inverted knees.
    • Reptilian Tulnar may have more circular eyes and head shape, and scaly skin.
    • Tulnar do not equal furries.
    • There are bestial components that can be scaled up when creating a Tulnar character.

Tulnar do not equal furries, but there are definitely some bestial components that you can scale up when you're creating your Tulnar character, so you could max that setting I guess. Whether or not that would give you what you would think of as a furry, I guess it's going to be up to your interpretation of what a Furry is.– Steven Sharif

Q: Will character creator allow us to make Tulnar that might look somewhat like Kobolds from Pathfinder or DnD?
    A: I wouldn't say exactly, but there's definitely elements of Kobolds that you could incorporate in a character creator with the Tulnar, yes. – Steven Sharif
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited April 2021
    Seisure wrote: »
    If 2 plots of land are acquired by 2 different players, will they be able to build so close to eachother that a huge mansion is built on 2 plots of land (to be able to walk through the house unhindered through the plots limit)?

(Bolded the most relevant part)

Freeholds may be placed anywhere within the ZOI of a stage 3 node (or higher) so long as they are not in close proximity to any of the following:
    • Pathing routes (Roadways).
    • Dungeons and other points of interest (POIs) regardless of advancement.
    • Spawn areas.
    • Other freehold plots.
    • Hard terrain features, such as mountainsides or cliffs.
    • Freehold plots will require a certificate from the parent node in order to place the plot.

The more advanced a node is, the more freeholds can be built within its ZOI.

Ample space will be available to place freeholds in the ZOI of a village node.
    Collections of freeholds placed together are considered part of their parent node and do not become a separate node, other than via roleplay.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Freeholds#Freehold_placement
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited April 2021
    Seisure wrote: »
    What happens to a player that starts destroying another player's house from a plot outside the town?

Freeholds may be attacked by any player for a period of two hours following a successful siege against its parent node.
    • Players and their allies may defend their freehold for this period of time.
    • Structures and guards may be obtained to defend freeholds during this period.

After the two hour period of open combat following a successful node siege, any remaining freeholds will exist under a grace period for roughly 1 week where another node may take over the zone of influence of the freehold.
    • The freehold owner will be required to undertake a quest process to have their freehold adopted by a new node if one exists.
    • At the end of the grace period, if the freehold does not reside within the ZOI of a stage three (Village) node or above, it will be destroyed.
    • Players who are registered as a defenders of their node cannot loot their own destroyed freeholds.

If a siege is successful, then the Node is brought down to Level 0, and anyone who was a citizen of that Node is no longer a citizen. Freeholds within the Zone of Influence are subject to a period of vulnerability. These Freeholds can be destroyed by other players during a period of roughly 2 hours after a successful siege. Destroyed Freeholds are subject to material loss, and blueprints for them are mailed to the player to utilize for future placement in order to allow the player to keep their Freehold’s layout and structure. Once the vulnerability period is complete, any remaining Freeholds will exist under a grace period for roughly 1 week where another Node may take over the Zone of Influence of the Freehold.– Margaret Krohn

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Freeholds#Freehold_destructibility
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Seisure wrote: »
    Will there be quests or amount of resources to gather which help you buy play time?

Players who refer and invite new players can receive 15% of their account purchases back as Intrepid Bucks.
    • This only applies to purchases made with an applicable payment method. Purchases redeemed using Intrepid Bucks are not eligible.

Intrepid Bucks

Intrepid Bucks earned through the Referral program can be used to:
    • Purchase Embers.
    • Purchase in-game items from the Cosmetic store.
    • Reduce subscription costs (to zero).
    • Obtain cash rewards on a quarterly basis after Ashes of Creation has launched.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Subscription_model
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited April 2021
    Phew... lots of answering questions. Hope people will see the answers
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • ZenceZence Member, Alpha One
    A question for the team:

With systems furthering in development, what feature are you most excited for and why?
  • SunScriptSunScript Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Will mining precious gems be a cool and engaging experience, or will they be a random chance of acquisition when mining something else?
    Bow before the Emperor and your lives shall be spared. Refuse to bow and your lives shall be speared.
  • GrilledCheeseMojitoGrilledCheeseMojito Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Will there be a universally high respawn rate of gatherables, or will it matter by material, and be possible for a mine to just be 'out' of something?
    Grilled cheese always tastes better when you eat it together!
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Does a driver lose 100% of their caravan goods upon caravan destruction, or are they also given an opportunity to recuperate some in the same ways that others can pick them up?
  • It was said ‘’We’re going to be breaking up what is traditionally called ‘questing’ into three different categories: Narratives, Events, and Tasks.’’
    Will all the 3 types of ‘quests’ be given by NPCs or is there a specific location for each of those. e.g. a notification board in town for ‘tasks’, some sort of announcement for ‘events’ and NPCs for ‘narratives’.
    signature.png
  • Magic Man wrote: »
    It was said ‘’We’re going to be breaking up what is traditionally called ‘questing’ into three different categories: Narratives, Events, and Tasks.’’
    Will all the 3 types of ‘quests’ be given by NPCs or is there a specific location for each of those. e.g. a notification board in town for ‘tasks’, some sort of announcement for ‘events’ and NPCs for ‘narratives’.
    • Some quests will be given by NPCs.
    • Some quests will be given by Bulletin boards
    • Players can sponsor quests via said boards
    • Mayors can initiate quests that players will see via some Node interface
    • Certain social groups (thieves' guild, etc) can offer quests for people of having joined them
    • Certain legendary items dropped from mobs can trigger a questline (be it lore related or not)

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Quests
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Bulletin_boards
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • GoDDeathpactGoDDeathpact Member
    edited April 2021
    Name Pronunciation:"God"-"Deathpact"

Question: Will AoC have an "enrage system" on Open-world mobs, essentially giving the aggro'ed mobs stat buffs if a player is unable to kill them within a certain time-frame?

Example:
    e.g You aggro 8 Mobs and have to kill them within a 30 second time-frame. If not killed they enrage (regardless of Mob type), and make the combat more challenging.

Reasoning:
    1. This would prevent players from Over-tagging so as to ensure other players in the vicinity are also able to find mob spots.
    2. Make grinding more engaging, challenging, and mindful - MMORPGs already suffer from monotonous grinding, this system could potentially alleviate that general consensus if done right!

I also believe this falls within AoC's desire for the game to have an overarching Risk v Reward scenario. It could potentially tie in very nicely with the lore of corruption in AoC. A player would now have to decide if they have bitten off more than they can chew, and then either fight or flight response would kick in!

In the same situation above, lets say you pull 5 mobs and are able to kill them within that 30 second time-frame, hence the enrage mechanic would not kick in.
  • Asgerr wrote: »
    Magic Man wrote: »
    It was said ‘’We’re going to be breaking up what is traditionally called ‘questing’ into three different categories: Narratives, Events, and Tasks.’’
    • Some quests will be given by NPCs.
    • Some quests will be given by Bulletin boards
    • Players can sponsor quests via said boards
    • Mayors can initiate quests that players will see via some Node interface
    • Certain social groups (thieves' guild, etc) can offer quests for people of having joined them
    • Certain legendary items dropped from mobs can trigger a questline (be it lore related or not)

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Quests
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Bulletin_boards

Ye I'm aware. The question is rather about whether there's a specific location for each type of quest. So If I'm looking for tasks, do I check the bulletin boards etc. Thanks for the answer anyway tho
    signature.png
  • On the Audio side, will we have a sound adjusts slider for Footsteps Volume?
    In general it would be nice to have different volume adjustsments so you can adjust it to ur liking. Just like in ESO.

Example: I like to hear the hooves of my horse running loud and clear, but i want the spell and sound effects to be low, while the Ambients volume is at max. :)
  • MarvoMarvo Member
    I am excited for it :D

ldhl5mgmn4tn.png
  • Hello again frands - thank you for stopping by and sharing your questions with us here in this thread! Q&A submissions are now closed, and we’ll see you at 11AM PDT tomorrow for our live stream!

https://www.twitch.tv/ashesofcreation
    community_management.gif
  • What are you going to do when a streamer or anyone with a big following tries to monopolize the node system or one of the five castles in the world?
  • When will we get to see the node system in action? Would love to see how players interact with it.
  • KyonsuppKyonsupp Member
    edited April 2021
    ¿How much specialization in builds will i have in my character in comparison with other players of my same class? ¿Are there some gear system which can make my build feel something unique? Something like gear sets or enchants which provide specific benefits for specifics skills and circumstances.
  • Is there a chance for an updated sheet of Tulnar concept arts ? Would be really cool to work on a character fantasy in the future.
  • GodawfulGodawful Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    How do you plan on structuring quests in AOC? Are we going to see the same tasks throughout all the levels just with a different narrative? Or could we expect some thought provoking puzzle quests as seen in games like Zelda, or MMOs like "The secret world"?

(Also, is there a place we can submit some written spec quests to you all?)
  • Kaizen StravaKaizen Strava Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Will there be any kind of terraforming in this game or modular housing?
  • Eternalknight7Eternalknight7 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The in-game marriage system sounds fun. Will there be NPCs (i.e. at home or companions) that can engage in the same systems? For example, SWTOR has awesome romance with NPCs!

It would be a really cool addition to homes, imo!

Thank you :)
  • KhorneKhorne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In the wiki it states that we can have to up to 30 hotkeys would this be exclusively a combination of weapon skills, primary and secondary archetypes that would add up to this amount ?
  • How high will we be able to get our skill level up to in artisan classes we don't plan to master?