Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Big name streamer servers

WarrantyzWarrantyz Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I’m curious, would you rather play on a server with no big name streamers or one with big name streamers, and why?

Comments

• i'd be fine with any besides asmongold, not because i dislike him but because of his community...it's like one giant cod lobby in his chat
  • Most of the big streamers will probably congregate on one server which makes it even worse tbh. I wouldn't mind having one or two big name streamers but all of them is just gonna be perma drama and followers brigading and whatnot. So nah
  • LBCLBC Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would watch out for servers that mega guilds go to. Streamers don't impact the server as much.
  • Asgerr wrote: »

This was much more on-topic and entertaining than yours truly was expecting!

Ultimately, I don't give a crap if I'm on the same server as a streamer, or not. I probably won't purposefully avoid such servers, but definitely won't be seeking them out.

• OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The fact that I know Asmongold will be given the most legendary loot possible, that he'll be one of the few with a dragon mount, and that he'll be assassinated randomly, but then get the best gear and pwn his adversaries as he trash talks them...

It would be ok.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I plan on making a spreadsheet of the largest streamers I can find that intend to play Ashes and choosing the server with the least amount of streamers on it.

I have nothing against streamers. I just don't want to minimize the server congestion I have to deal with.

I did joke in a past thread that a server with mandatory nudity would solve the issue(To be clear there is no nudity in Ashes to my knowledge). A suggestion that makes more since for Mortal Online 2, but I would gladly deal with a bunch of excess human anatomy over long load times...
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • RamirezRamirez Member
    edited May 2021
    If was full drop loot on death i would for sure pick asmongold server, would be a free walking chest in the wilds... But in aoc will for sure avoid streamers servers
  • xephitaxephita Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited May 2021
    I would try to stay as far away as possible from so called content 'creators' and the mostly ridiculous communities that surround them.

On that note have they all been given free access to the earliest of alphas yet?
  • Warrantyz wrote: »
    I’m curious, would you rather play on a server with no big name streamers or one with big name streamers, and why?

None. I think the whole "streamer" nonsense is way out of control and utterly pointless. Why people get off on watching other people play games, is beyond me.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I plan on making a spreadsheet of the largest streamers I can find that intend to play Ashes and choosing the server with the least amount of streamers on it.

I have nothing against streamers. I just don't want to minimize the server congestion I have to deal with.

I did joke in a past thread that a server with mandatory nudity would solve the issue(To be clear there is no nudity in Ashes to my knowledge). A suggestion that makes more since for Mortal Online 2, but I would gladly deal with a bunch of excess human anatomy over long load times...

Please do share that when the time comes! Could be a valuable resource!
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Vhaeyne I would also like access to this list. If we are going back in time to a game that is community based, talk to other humans, get to know your friends and your enemies, blacklisting players, creating true arch rivals, building up your surroundings, making friends, and celebrating huge accomplishments as a team.....then I would like to do this the same way it was done long ago....without massive streamers that have 10s of thousands of chat spamming REEEEEEEEEEEE screamers.

I understand that gaming has evolved with the internet and in many ways it is great. Streamers definitely have potential in the industry to help build the community and bring out the best in people but unfortunately this is not often the case. I can't even stand the chat while watching the monthly livestreams from Intrepid. If that is who our community currently is, we have a long road ahead.
  • Main character, no. A heavily roleplayed alt that ignore/deny anything out of Verra, maybe.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • BrianDaddyBrianDaddy Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

Once you make that google doc I would love a link to it!
    xU7tJe6.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I turn old when I see streamers in MMOs.

Back in my day we .....
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Hemlocked @Khronus @BrianDaddy

Assuming people don't consider such a list to be a form of Doxing I don't think I would have a issue sharing the list. If people are opposed to such a list being public I would consider doing a server "forecast" based on the numbers I came up with for "Server congestion", and leave it at that.

We got a few years out on this still, I just want to be able to make a good decision on what server to play on.
    WOW Classic was a mess for my friends and me. We had to reroll on a new server at level 35ish because streamer congestion was so bad. We actually lost a friend in the process (Kind of funny, but true).

There is a lot to think about here. If such as list had a lot of eyes on it. The list could have the opposite effect. I am not 100% sure what I will do. These are tricky waters to navigate.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    After playing on Faerlina (the designated streamer server on WOW Classic), I'd rather not play on a 'streamer server'. There's good and bad things about them. They're typically good if you are looking for content outside of what the game normally provides, like events organized by the streamer. That isn't to say that community events NEVER happen, its simply easier for them to happen when there's a leading voice behind them. It does harm the overall community of the server, though.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Assuming people don't consider such a list to be a form of Doxing
    If these streamers make their intentions public in terms of what server they will play on, then no reasonable person would think this.

That said, the internet is full of unreasonable people.
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »

Assuming people don't consider such a list to be a form of Doxing I don't think I would have a issue sharing the list. If people are opposed to such a list being public I would consider doing a server "forecast" based on the numbers I came up with for "Server congestion", and leave it at that.

We got a few years out on this still, I just want to be able to make a good decision on what server to play on.
    WOW Classic was a mess for my friends and me. We had to reroll on a new server at level 35ish because streamer congestion was so bad. We actually lost a friend in the process (Kind of funny, but true).

There is a lot to think about here. If such as list had a lot of eyes on it. The list could have the opposite effect. I am not 100% sure what I will do. These are tricky waters to navigate.

It's not doxxing. I understand the caution that it might have an adverse effect, but I think the communities around many of the streamers we can expect to play the game are big enough that it's highly unlikely.
  • KriddonKriddon Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't mind either way. I once thought that having some on the server would make it more interesting and with Classic at least that wasn't quite the case at least not for long. Since most of them moved on or at least started playing it a lot less due to various reasons. I also don't entirely get why such big problems playing on streamers servers. If you don't like the streamer or the community they bring I could see that. But as for advantages is their much they can do that a leader of a large guild can't do? I remember Steven mentioned his guild once had 10,000 members. If 3000 of them roll on a server. Its very likely they will run the server or at the very least be a major player on the server.
  • Lordhavok69Lordhavok69 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Honestly ill roll the server with the rest of my guild, streamer or not i plan on treating them as friend or foe just like everyone else. Maybe get free stuff out of it with the randoms who will join just to follow them around and have no idea on the mechanics or layout of the game.
  • I would rather avoid that like the plague. Asmongold is a mega guild and he'll likely have 10 slave guilds under him completely determining if a server lives or dies. That said I wouldn't mind it if he didn't stream all of the time. I probably won't have to worry about it anyway since all of the streamers usually live near California.

The annoying part comes from having to compete vs them when they have an entire 10 guilds setup from day 1. So it ruins the community progression of a server. So you gotta run in another direction than streamers goes in to be able to play the game legit.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I just find streamers fanbases annoying thats why I avoid them like holy magic
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Nagash wrote: »
    I just find streamers fanbases annoying thats why I avoid them like holy magic

Who knew that steamer fanbases where Clerics with the spells Turn Undead and Toll the Dead. Life is a real RPG hahaha
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • MerekMerek Member
    edited May 2021
    Every 'streamer' wants the rules catered to them so their 5 man viewer base doesn't get offended or they don't get banned from Twitch. They single-handedly ruined New World, FiveM and other games, don't see it being a positive experience here except Intrepid sucking in more customers from the publicity.
  • RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would prefer to play on a server without a big streamer.
    2PXdm1m
  • Depends on if the streamer is whiny or not. The hive mind attitude of streamers and their followers really annoys me sometimes.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Kriddon wrote: »
    Since most of them moved on or at least started playing it a lot less due to various reasons. I also don't entirely get why such big problems playing on streamers servers.

You answered your question before you asked it.

Servers have a limit of around d 50,000 players in total. If 20% of that is a streamers community, and they move on from the game (which, since streamers make a living off of content, they will do) then you are left with a low population server.
  • Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    While obviously the devs can't force them to do anything it'd be nice if they'd designate a single server as the "streamer" server to try and corral the largest ones whose own activity affects the population.
  • LentLent Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021

Doxing is making private information public; it's quite public (or will be within minutes of streamers going live) what server streamers are on, so I can't imagine there being any legal issues with this.

As to having the opposite effect - nah. All the same information is available publicly, a sheet like this would just make it easier to find. People might avoid a/all streamer(s), or might flock to them. They might also ignore the sheet altogether (and the accuracy is dependent on the curator). IMO the sheet is unlikely to have *any* effect other than to save any viewers time - they're going to likely make the same decision they were going to make before seeing the sheet (avoid/flock).