Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What customization options would you need to make the Tulnar of your Dreams?

TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited May 2021 in General Discussion
Hello Everytulnar,

We just had a really Interesting Conversation in Discord about what Character customization options people would like to see for their Tulnar, and I was asked to make this thread, so here we are.
Wiki Tulnar: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Tulnar

How would you like your Tulnar to look?
Do you wanna go full Big and Bulky, with Hands that have Claws, and a Maw that could take a good bite out of a juicy steak?
Or do you maybe want to be a small Kobold-like creature that loves nothing more than mining and bathing?
Kobold.png

I've barely seen anyone talk about Humanoid Tulnar.
Have you thought about, that a Humanoid Tulnar could be related to Giant-kin, Ogres or even Satyrs?
I personally would be very interested in getting to play something Inspired by the visuals of an Illithid (also known as Mindflayers).
I don't think I've ever gotten to play something awesome like that.
If Intrepid would give us a Character Costumisation Options that allow us to create something that looks visually inspired by an illithid, then suddendly we are in this Interesting position, where no other video game (that I know) offers the same.

f60525d245d080d3575cb08d30f33104--memoir-fantasy-creatures.jpg

Comments

• mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    I'm leaning on the bulkier side. I'd like to be able to have a good size, elongated jaw and impressive tail.
    I'm a big fan of lizardmen from warhammer. The closer i can get to a saurus or kroxigor, the happier i'd be.
    i'd enjoy being a beefy lizard boy.
    2f7283c1b02efeb937a63ebc86376fdd.jpg
  • ViBunjaViBunja Member
    Definitely an agile and fast rabbit, like the rabbitfolk from D&D

EYrP9JrXYAERmoD.jpg

• GoatrekGoatrek Member
    The more monstrous/bestial appearance I can get out from it, the better. Large size is also a big bonus. Wouldnt mind getting features close to what we see in beastmen, lizardmen, skaven etc from warhammer.
  • SmolSmol Member
    I'm looking for something big. Something more beast like, that looks too scary to fight against.

Runeguard_Volibear.jpg

Nasus-y-Renekton.jpg

Nasus_11.jpg

• AsgerrAsgerr Member
    How about an auto-deletion option? Get those filthy Tulnar out of here!

All kidding and crusading aside, Tulnar certainly have a lot of potential depending on what we get.

Personally I would like to be able to create something like a werewolf.

ac880b99f67c6c93642fbe4d3c6612c4-700.jpg
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited May 2021
    It would be nice if I could choose metallic/bright colors for the scales on the Lizard man variant. For example I would want to recreate an old dnd character of mine that started out as a normal lizardfolk fighter but then became the holy paladin of a dragon god, turning his scales gold and his eyes blue.

On the inverse I would love for there to be a wide range of heights and body builds so I could make kobolds like the OP wants.

Ah sweet I found the old pic I used for my boy. The first one is the original picture, and the 2nd one is after he turned into a paladin with some simple photoshop.

Sla'har Odar (Slaughter is kinda the base word). Had so much fun with this character.

87a4e5deaa105074ccfdf152bf137eb8.jpg

med.png?1442096995
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    Not that I would ever play one but I really want to lean in on the dark side of a tulnar and how they lived for so long

20564_PvjPf3Cs2Vy9JOgh_081220164608.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Asgerr wrote: »
    How about an auto-deletion option? Get those filthy Tulnar out of here!

All kidding and crusading aside, Tulnar certainly have a lot of potential depending on what we get.

Personally I would like to be able to create something like a werewolf.

ac880b99f67c6c93642fbe4d3c6612c4-700.jpg

This Wolf look would be perfect. Or maybe a Sarnak looking dragon kin from EQ2.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    Personally, I wish to see options which would allow me to replicate Neverwinter Online's design of Dragonborn, such as this one:

KG1yjnB.png

This mostly includes things like that scaly beard, fins that span across the cheeks, horned eyebrows, and the crest that acts as the "hair". Also, things like various types of teeth would be great. Like long, blunt, short, broken etc.
    Here is an expanded view of potential facial features (imgur gallery of 7 pics):
    https://imgur.com/gallery/bqYFR26
    Very important feature devs should not forget about, is a tail slider. I am sure there are many who hate tails on player models (proven by the popularity of no tail mods in skyrim xD). Would also be very cool if we were able to have claw like hands and lizard-like feet. Ah yes, don't forget colour of the hide. Light Brown and Green are a bare minimum we should have.

Actually...this image shows very well how the body would look like... tho maybe make the arms and shoulders more in scale with the rest of the body:

2eddc67b54f601b862d810ec9a7ee798.jpg

While the appearance looks cool, there is an obvious visible problem of body scaling (neverwinter online is pretty infamous for it).

Now, enough of Dragonborn. What about lizardmen? As @mackstackerson said, Saurians from Warhammer would be an awesome addition to Tulnar. Badass example:
    Nakai.jpg

I think with that, we should also have thickness slider for tail in case there are those who want to be big bulky lizardmen.

So far these are my ideas. Argue, or support as you wish :D
  • AtoriAtori Member
    Whenever I add in my input on the topics of Tulnar, it usually comes down to two things. First, I really would just like ANYTHING that isn't a human + x trait. I don't mind if there's sliders that can bring it close as long as it goes the other way as well. I want them to be bestial, doesn't have to be pretty, just something out of the norm. Something brave that someone will actually put in the extra effort to stretch the humanoid armor to fit for.

I think I remember Steven saying there wouldn't be much in the way of bird options, but heck, raptors had feathers so..

c1cff56af114a0e3cb5f749ad05de56b.jpg

Everyone tends to think Dragonborn because of their sort of dnd-fantasy inspiration, and I'd be totally okay with that. Dragonborn, Kobolds, Argonians, Lizardfolk, Khajiit, Charr, Kig-yar, whatever. Throw it in a blender and surprise me Steven.
  • TulvirTulvir Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think there's a lot of focus on a more dragon-like appearance or a rough scaled lizard, but I would love to see bears, Vi had a good suggestion with bunnies, but seeing something like snakes, insects (maybe spider people with extra limbs), or- and I know it's been said they aren't in the Tulnar race- avian species. Personally I fell in love with design back in Windwaker and I unfortunately you don't see to much variance. Depending on how crazy they wanted to go you could get some cool designs from elephants, rhinos, gorillas (or smaller apes), kangaroos (mostly for legs), and if you go beyond to birds, insects, and sea-life the possibilities are endless.

To be a bit more concise... I'd like to see bears (pic unrelated /s), after launch I'd loooove to see an avian race, an insect variant(s), and for them to really play around with more original designs.
  • SchmukySchmuky Member
    edited May 2021
    d0PlSVafttwqTy70GSIZwehP5L_BtBRkcH1kD2xdJ-Y.jpg?auto=webp&s=be626aa8d5b21a56541bc65b5c9831974a92739d

I would go Leonin or as close as I can. Favorite DnD race of all time
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited May 2021
    Schmuky wrote: »
    d0PlSVafttwqTy70GSIZwehP5L_BtBRkcH1kD2xdJ-Y.jpg?auto=webp&s=be626aa8d5b21a56541bc65b5c9831974a92739d

Ajani Goldmane is such an iconic figure from Magic The Gathering for me. Leonins shall be accepted among the ranks fo the Verran Inquisition. They are too noble a race to mingle with the rest of the Tulnar
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • We need lots and lots of badger Tulnar :D
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • SchmukySchmuky Member
    edited May 2021
    Asgerr wrote: »
    Schmuky wrote: »

Ajani Goldmane is such an iconic figure from Magic The Gathering for me. Leonins shall be accepted among the ranks fo the Verran Inquisition. They are too noble a race to mingle with the rest of the Tulnar

Haven't played magic, but this is how i always imagined my Leonin paladin looking like.

I am quite new to Ashes (said it before, New World refugee after..well, we all know what happened), so i didn't actually know what the Tulnar were supposed to be. To have a one race that could be modified it...brilliant. Like 100% brilliant. Actually made a post about more races and it didn't go particularly well (kinda devolved into a discussion about race change) but this could just take care of that. Balance all Tulnar together and the rest is aesthetics. Fantastic idea. Now let's see if we can actually get all the different variations we imagine

Imagine if (and I say imagine bc it depends on a lot of factors) out of the Tulnar, sub-races start appearing. Dragonborn, rabbitfolk, leonin etc. It would be amazing if the people playing them could add to the lore, on how their life as a sub race of Tulnar was different to the other sub races. Maybe rabbitfolk stayed closer to the surface and interacted with rabbits a lot, Dragonborn were...am..born deep into the earth, next to an active volcano that had fire salamanders (or some dragons) there.

It depends on what the story for the Tulnar actually will be and how in depth we can modify them
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • grendalloffengrendalloffen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Fennec fox kinda. I'd like that in a weary traveller sorta look. Kinda, old Obi wan as a fennec fox or more like... Not necessarily old, but worn out from the time on the road, ragged. Fox tulnar thingy. Wanderer kinda look. Ya kno? I really like foxes. I'm bad at describing it.
  • grendalloffengrendalloffen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    unknown.png
    Something like this
  • Something that looks like a cross between "Lizard" from Spiderman and a Fimir.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fw0.pngwave.com%2Fpng%2F538%2F97%2Fmarvel-avengers-alliance-dr-curt-connors-spider-man-karnak-marvel-comics-lizard-png-clip-art.png&f=1&nofb=1

?u=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-XZls0_8LYL0%2FVZa7BIcCMCI%2FAAAAAAAAC1A%2FzRiwKX5DGGE%2Fs1600%2F03%252BFimir1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    Just want the ability to make a half dwarf/half orc. That's all, nothing greater on my end needed.
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    AntVictus wrote: »
    Just want the ability to make a half dwarf/half orc. That's all, nothing greater on my end needed.

Thats not what the tulnar are for xP
  • ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    The Tulnar kind of remind me of the Trollocs from the wheel of time series.

• VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Don't y'all tell the inquisition thread this...

I never considered that the Tulnar could be Illithid. I will main Tulnar if I can be an Illithid.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    Given each race has to have armor altered to fit, I don’t think we’ll end up with a huge variety, sadly. In an ideal scenario though, I’d probably look for something like the Yuan-Ti from DnD, with plenty of scale pattern options. I know body types will be kind restricted, but for the love of god give me some pattern variety and not just five or six presets. I wanna pick the base color and the fur/scale pattern and the color of that pattern, within reasonable hues.

I’ll be honest I really don’t want neon fursona colors to be options at all
  • ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    i wanna play a seagull
  • SubZSubZ Member
    Hope we can change the scale color and eye color
  • AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    Conrad wrote: »

Except...that kind of are. Granted the "race" as a whole is comprised of a lot of other races...it's more of a faction than a race really. Who's to say a dwarf didn't get snu snu'd by an orc.
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited May 2021
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Don't y'all tell the inquisition thread this...

I never considered that the Tulnar could be Illithid. I will main Tulnar if I can be an Illithid.

Yeah but that would assume the mindflayers are in control or pretending to be good for survival. I cannot imagine a good mindflayer, hell I cant even imagine a neutral one.

Sure they "Work well with others" but that's because they love to brainwash people into working for them!
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • ViBunjaViBunja Member
    Conrad wrote: »

Technically, he is not wrong.
  • ViBunjaViBunja Member
    edited May 2021
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Given each race has to have armor altered to fit, I don’t think we’ll end up with a huge variety, sadly. In an ideal scenario though, I’d probably look for something like the Yuan-Ti from DnD, with plenty of scale pattern options. I know body types will be kind restricted, but for the love of god give me some pattern variety and not just five or six presets. I wanna pick the base color and the fur/scale pattern and the color of that pattern, within reasonable hues.

I’ll be honest I really don’t want neon fursona colors to be options at all

That's only for the in-game armor though. Looking at the player crafted items, it says that players can influence how the armor would look, so yeh! The armor you find in game will be locked for species, but player designed armor will look different.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Yeah but that would assume the mindflayers are in control or pretending to be good for survival. I cannot imagine a good mindflayer, hell I cant even imagine a neutral one.

Sure they "Work well with others" but that's because they love to brainwash people into working for them!

TO me depends on the DM...

"DM Vhaeyne" will bend the stars for his players if they have a plausible backstory to explain why their Illithid is no longer evil. Likewise, if they come at me with some nonsense I can't imagine I would not allow it.

In general, I agree with everything you said. It would take a hell of a backstory for me to allow a player to play a non-evil mindflayer.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.