Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Never RP-ed in online video game but how do I start?

I have played D&D for years so I’m familiar with RP but how does one start with a video game community? Especially since the game isn’t out yet?

Comments

• Options
    CelebrimborCelebrimbor Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You start with an idea for a character that you would like to RP I guess :D I only played GTA SA RP a long time ago!
    I am the bright lord!
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    One of the most important things I've noticed in successful long term RP-ers (people who don't get together for a specific limited RPed session with a known group) is to know how you plan to convert real life obstacles, and game mechanics, into 'flavor text' for your character's motivations. As a D&D player you probably already know how to do the second.

Basically 'how long can you hold a conversation that is similar to a RL conversation without actually breaking character'. This helps you to stay immersed in your character, and that, in turn, helps the other roleplayers around you.

It can be as simple as a Fighter who needs to log off for the night in a town, telling others (or thinking of it) as 'my character has to go report to the barracks for inspection'. "I can't be around for the Guild's defense of our node next Friday" could have a bigger explanation, in your mind. You don't even have to talk about it a lot in the RP itself, just mention it with the 'flavor text' and if anyone else picks up and runs with it, good.

Helps fill the downtime in group RP while you're waiting for other people to type out their stuff. VOIP roleplay can be trickier, but that's closer to D&D anyway.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.