Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

I Made a Quarrior! (Pangolin + Sculpey)

voxovvoxov Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited June 2021 in Community Creations
I made a Quarrior, using a toy pangolin, epoxy putty, sculpey clay, glue, leather, and paint. I think it came out pretty neat.

Happy to hear your thoughts/feedback. Can post progress steps if anyone interested in seeing how it came together.

https://youtu.be/TFAA7msJXo4

Comments

• Oh my gosh this is so quardorable! <3<3<3 he's goin' on a little adventure!

Would love to see your progress pics/steps as well!
    community_management.gif
  • voxovvoxov Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2021
    Oh my gosh this is so quardorable! <3<3<3 he's goin' on a little adventure!

Would love to see your progress pics/steps as well!

Many thanks for the kind words, and sure! This is a bit wordy, but maybe helpful to others interested in trying this kind of project. It's very accessible, so anyone who feels inspired should give it a shot!

(It didn't occur to me to photograph anything until some steps in, but here was the basic process:)

1) I used a figurine as a base, then applied epoxy putty to create definition and make/reshape scales as needed. I used tiny bits of masking tape and some markers to plan it out ahead (the putty/paint cover marker, so it doesn't do harm).

2) Once cured, I put a base coating of enamel paint down. I tried to make the nose, eyes, and scales more glossy than the body, but made the claws a bit metallic, since I imagine quarriors dig through hard minerals and need the reinforcement.

01.jpg

3) Once dried, I repainted scales for detail and shading effects.

02.jpg

4) I took a sheet of aluminum foil and smashed it down into the basic shape of the backpack and sword. This base ('armature') isn't as important for those simple shapes, but still helps give structure. (no picture, it's just some bits of aluminum foil).

5) I made the ornaments out of basic, white sculpey clay. There are a number of tricks to clay, but for this, I basically just rolled it into flat sheets, and then cut/rolled/layered it as necessary. (just avoid air pockets, as they can cause uneven heating and cracking when baking).

03.jpg

6) I created improvised paint stands with more aluminum foil, and attached the ornaments with bits of tacking putty (not epoxy putty!). This is a cheap and simple way to make very versatile stands, and won't damage the clay.

7) I'm not experienced in painting with enamels, so I was experimenting and learning. My main concerns were separating glossy and matte areas, and making effective use of metallic highlights. Two things I found that worked well: 1- for the blanket, I rubbed bits of leather 'dust' onto it. I had already scored the clay so it was very rough, and the leather settled into the tacky paint and gave it a really cool, textile texture. 2- for the bag, I wanted the leather to have a sheen, but not be so glossy. So, I pressed my thumb into the drying paint. This breaks up the glossy surface, while also adding a bit of texture. I don't think the photo/video I took really captures either well, but it's a nice effect. I'll have to watch some tutorials and learn more about these paints.

04.jpg

8) While drying, I was trying to find a thin leather strap. I didn't find any that I liked, so I took the thinnest available, and cut it in half with a razor, one millimeter at a time... Not the most fun step.

05.jpg

9) I used a hot glue gun to put it all together. The backpack has functional straps, so it's not glued to the quarrior; it slides on over the arms and head ^_^.

Finished!

It's a very slow process due to drying time between steps, but it's not too difficult. I hope to make a more detailed video guide for a full project of the next creature in the future!

Thanks joining me on this adventure~!
  • DiuraDiura Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Aww I think this is amazing! Really well done! Look forward to seeing your future projects ^^
    8st3lhnx21to.png
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    That's awesome! Great job.
  • voxovvoxov Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Diura wrote: »
    Aww I think this is amazing! Really well done! Look forward to seeing your future projects ^^

Thanks! I'm making the next model as a full video, so other people can follow along.

I'm also (slowly) working on a Ashes parody webcomic, "Antics of Creation" — the storytelling starts choppy, since it switched from a monthly gag to a continual story, but smooths out considerably and features improved art as it goes forward:
    http://www.aoccomic.com/
  • ZeshioZeshio Member
    I saw this on reddit first but really appreciate you showing all of your process pics! Really frickin' cool looking!
  • DiuraDiura Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    voxov wrote: »
    Diura wrote: »

Thanks! I'm making the next model as a full video, so other people can follow along.

I'm also (slowly) working on a Ashes parody webcomic, "Antics of Creation" — the storytelling starts choppy, since it switched from a monthly gag to a continual story, but smooths out considerably and features improved art as it goes forward:
    http://www.aoccomic.com/

Yes I follow your comic!
    I only noticed you were the same person aha ^^ Such a talented individual!
    8st3lhnx21to.png