Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Daily/weekly instance run limitations?

Extremely common in Asian online games, I would be dismayed to find limited run numbers in this game. Can anyone confirm if there will be any such limits on runs for instances/dungeons/raids? (e.g. can only run dungeon twice per day).

Even if caps are implemented for reasons of economics/scarcity, I feel hard caps are not acceptable, and lazy design. A limit of X# of runs means that players are strongly disincentivized from trying new approaches, helping weaker characters, and playing with other people. (e.g. a friend asks for help, but you already used your runs, or want to save them for higher difficulty level, so you can't run with them).

If drop scarcity is an issue, it's much better to have a system where you can run as many times as you like, but only receive a limited number of drops (and even that is frustrating).

Comments

• I believe they said there wont really be instance dungeons it will be attached to the world not alot of information has been released considering its still in Pre-Alpha!!!

But I think they don't want the whole instanced base ( not to say their wont be any Again Pre-alpha )

Raids Will be available for multiple Lvl Ranges

I hope this helps!
  • limiting the number of dungeon runs is basically ticking off a large portion of the PvE base, which is bad for the game. They restrict it in a rather unusual and actually a good way- the dungeons are linked to the nodes, and are progress locked. this means there can only be so many dungeons.
  • Theres no instance in this game besides housing and possible arena.

Everything else is open world. Strange for me because other parties can join in on the dungeon you started.
  • @Shirikuryu that sounds intriguing; pardon my ignorance of that system. Do you know where I can read/hear more about this? I've watched the recent streams and read over a few of the transcripts and FAQs, but haven't come across anything about dungeons, instances, or the system you described yet.

Either way, if such a system were successfully implemented, I would certainly consider that feat to be a crowing example of their ability to re-define the genre and eliminate stale tropes. I suspect it will be something that requires some iterative balancing at the very least.
  • There are themepark repeatable stocking fillers, but they are not the main aspect of the game.
    Including instances.
    Most of the content is dynamic one off and story driven.
    Its an event triggered content system.
  • <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/dailyweekly-instance-run-limitations/#post-30103">Rune_Relic wrote:</a></div>There are themepark repeatable stocking fillers, but they are not the main aspect of the game.
    Including instances.
    Most of the content is dynamic one off and story driven.
    Its an event triggered content system.

</blockquote>

That doesn't really address the question at hand; you can have a limited number of event triggers or other time gates, whether they're instanced or otherwise. Same goes for the concern other people have brought up with repetitive daily quests.

Whether the location is instanced or simply the objective objects, the base concern is a question of how scarcity is being addressed, and whether players will be prevented from running repeatedly with various groups.
  • That doesn't really address the question at hand; you can have a limited number of event triggers or other time gates, whether they're instanced or otherwise. Same goes for the concern other people have brought up with repetitive daily quests.

Whether the location is instanced or simply the objective objects, the base concern is a question of how scarcity is being addressed, and whether players will be prevented from running repeatedly with various groups.
  • That doesn't really address the question at hand; you can have a limited number of event triggers or other time gates, whether they're instanced or otherwise. Same goes for the concern other people have brought up with repetitive daily quests.

• Your points don't really address the question at hand; you can still have a limited number of event triggers or other time gates, whether they're instanced or otherwise. The same goes for the concern that other people have brought up with repetitive daily quests.

Whether the location is instanced or simply the quest objectives, the base concern is a question of how scarcity is being addressed, and whether players will be prevented from running repeatedly with various groups.
  • This doesn't really address the key question of limitations; you can have a restricted number of allowed event triggers or other time gates, whether instanced or otherwise. The same goes for the concern which other people have brought up regarding repetitive daily quests.

No matter if the location is instanced or simply the target objects, the base concern is a question of how scarcity is being addressed, and if players will be prevented from running repeatedly with various groups.
  • This doesn't really address the key question of limitations. You can have a restricted number of available event triggers or other time gates, instanced or otherwise. The same goes for concerns which other people have brought up about repetitive daily quests.

No matter if the location is instanced, or simply the target objects, the base concern is a question of how scarcity is being addressed. Many games (especially from Asian publishers) have done this by preventing players from running repeatedly with various groups, so I would ideally like to confirm that this would not be the case here.
  • @VoxoV

Hm... I can't really direct you, but the information was scattered throughout all the Q&As.

Instance housing is pretty easy. They talked about the three types of housing, freehold, node housing and instance housing. Pretty much they want housing to occupy a physical space in the real word, but they added in instance housing for players that can't find real estate.

Arena was talk about in the 26/05/2017 Q&A and a little before in other Q&As. Seems like it will be somewhat instance, considering they are talking about the idea of server vs server battles.

As for OWdungeons, this was inferred mostly from speculation on how they talked about the game. They want everything to be open world with no loadscreen and very few barriers. I would consider dungeons to be part of this system. They did show a video of a mage exploring and traveled into a dungeon. This makes me believe that dungeons will be open world. You can watch this video via their youtube channel as one of the mage gameplay.