Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Unique Player Titles

Would there ever be chances of players being able to receive unique player titles? I know of the existing titles and roles like Mayor and Bounty Hunter but could there ever be unique titles that can only be obtained by one player? An example of this could be like the title of "Unrivaled under the Heavens" which was given to the samurai Shinmen Munisai in history. It could create an interesting dynamic and another goal for players to reach for at the end game, as for requirements to obtain said titles, something historically significant could be cool, such as for "Unrivaled under the Heavens" the player would have to win 61 duels without being killed, as a reflection of MIyamoto Musashis 61 undefeated duels.

Comments

• This is more of question I didnt mean to post it in discussion
  • sounds cool, and sounds like u want this title --> "Unrivaled under the Heavens"
    idk the answer to ur question though :D
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited June 2021
    In past threads I have advocated for titles for those who perform certain tasks first on the server.

You slayed that one raid boss before anyone else? Bane of X title to you.

You crafted the first master crafted item on the server? Father of the forge to you

Were you the first to die by another player's hand? First of the fallen for ya.

You were the first to beat 100 players in PvP? Butcher of [insert your node's name] awarded.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Personally, I hate all the made up titles in games. I actually turn titles off because its just screen clutter.

If the titles were simple meaningful titles like: "Lord Vheayne" because I own land or "Mayor Vheayne" then I would keep titles on.

All of these achievement related titles with long names are not my cup of tea. Some of these games get lists of titles so long that man of them sound forced and stupid.

To each their own, I guess.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • agreed, i would use "lord" and "count", those are my favorites
  • VeralordVeralord Member
    edited June 2021
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Personally, I hate all the made up titles in games. I actually turn titles off because its just screen clutter.

If the titles were simple meaningful titles like: "Lord Vheayne" because I own land or "Mayor Vheayne" then I would keep titles on.

All of these achievement related titles with long names are not my cup of tea. Some of these games get lists of titles so long that man of them sound forced and stupid.

I completely understand where your coming from but the thing is all these titles would be from real historical people, nothing particularly “made up” about it

Also a reminder that these are unique player titles, so only one player would be able to obtain it, wouldnt clutter the screen.

• VeralordVeralord Member
    edited June 2021
    szelesbt wrote: »
    sounds cool, and sounds like u want this title --> "Unrivaled under the Heavens"
    idk the answer to ur question though :D
    Nah bruh Id never be good enough to do something like that, and of course thats only an example, others could include Lu Bu or Li Guangs “The Flying General”, Alexander the Greats “Conquerer of the World” or Attila the Huns “Scourge of God”
  • Asgerr wrote: »
    In past threads I have advocated for titles for those who perform certain tasks first on the server.

You slayed that one raid boss before anyone else? Bane of X title to you.

You crafted the first master crafted item on the server? Father of the forge to you

Were you the first to die by another player's hand? First of the fallen for ya.

You were the first to beat 100 players in PvP? Butcher of [insert your node's name] awarded.

Yeah I think its a cool and interesting way to give players an easier way to stand out as good players. Of course said system isnt needed because even if the titles arent in the game good enough players will make a name for themselves anyway, as can be seen in many games.
    edited June 2021
    Veralord wrote: »

I completely understand where your coming from but the thing is all these titles would be from real historical people, nothing particularly “made up” about it

Also a reminder that these are unique player titles, so only one player would be able to obtain it, wouldnt clutter the screen.

The made up titles I am referring to are things like: "He who has slain the big bad Vhaeyne" or "Vhaeyne the guy who did the thing". Obviously, I am being cheeky here. I just don't like these long, annoying accolades for just playing the game attached to characters names.

I am perfectly content with the simple titles like: "lord","King","Baron","Mayor". For players who actually hold status in the game world.

But that is just me.
    TVMenSP.png
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2021
    I always found achievement related titles extremelly boring. I always turn them of if there is an option.
    I like it when games allow players to create their own title (if they belong to a guild and have rank priviledge).
    Some foul language here and there, but other than that they are funny or cool.
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »

The made up titles I am referring to are things like: "He who has slain the big bad Vhaeyne" or "Vhaeyne the guy who did the thing". Obviously, I am being cheeky here. I just don't like these long, annoying accolades for just playing the game attached to characters names.

I am perfectly content with the simple titles like: "lord","King","Baron","Mayor". For players who actually hold status in the game world.

But that is just me.

I see what you mean. Though to clarify they wouldnt be “for just playing the game” they would have to be things that are notable and not something your normal player could do
  • I always found achievement related titles extremelly boring. I always turn them of if there is an option.
    I like it when games allow players to create their own title (if they belong to a guild and have rank priviledge).
    Some foul language here and there, but other than that they are funny or cool.

Even if it were only for a select few players? Say 10 titles in total for only those ten players, once acquired they could only be passed on if the account holder wanted to pass it on, its not required and its not something that most people would even be able to do, as well as it being endgame content thats just available if you chose to try and achieve it. I believe I'm aware of the achievement titles your speaking of, and correct me if im wrong but would it be something along the lines of “so and so has killed 10 slimes they get the achievement and title “slime killer” or something along those lines?
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I just never cared for the titles that the game rewards players with.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    TauTau
    --> Server LardAss <--

Yeah, I like this idea.
    edited June 2021
    I see what you mean. Though to clarify they wouldnt be “for just playing the game” they would have to be things that are notable and not something your normal player could do

I feel ya,

There are a handful of titles that are meaningful in many MMOs. Some of them drown in a sea of pointless hand out titles. Then the hard titles that become easier over time to get. Effectively making them hand out titles.

I actually don't like riding mounts or wearing titles from nerfed content. It just feels dirty to me. Even if I did earn the thing when it was hard to get. I don't want anything to do with it when everyone has it because gear trivializes the content needed to earn things. I am not a completionist, I guess I am more of a show-off...

Sometimes games make the titles something that can only be earned during the patch or expansion that the content is relevant. That helps to preserve the integrity of these types of unlocks. People seem to get really upset by these things.

So when I say: "Just playing the game", I guess I mean: I don't like titles that you can casually obtain. We both agree that we don't want titles for things that normal players can do.

At the end of the day as long as I can turn them off I guess I am happy. The titles that are a mouthful are cool in game of thrones when some one of note enters the throne room and their titles are announced. I would never want to see:

"Vhaeyne of the House Ebonscale, the Ninth of His Name, The Badass, King of Verra, The bane of the Tulnar, King of Underdark, Big dong of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Lord Regnant of the 118 Nodes, Breaker of Games and Rider of Dragons"

On my screen. Even if I did eventually do all that crap. XD
    TVMenSP.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm personally happy for any titles to exist in the game as long as there is no way players can see what titles you have other than the one you are showing, and there are several options players have in relation to turning them off - turn all off, turn off any that are more than one word etc.
  • tautau wrote: »
    TauTau
    --> Server LardAss <--

Yeah, I like this idea.

Server titles pog
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »

I feel ya,

There are a handful of titles that are meaningful in many MMOs. Some of them drown in a sea of pointless hand out titles. Then the hard titles that become easier over time to get. Effectively making them hand out titles.

I actually don't like riding mounts or wearing titles from nerfed content. It just feels dirty to me. Even if I did earn the thing when it was hard to get. I don't want anything to do with it when everyone has it because gear trivializes the content needed to earn things. I am not a completionist, I guess I am more of a show-off...

Sometimes games make the titles something that can only be earned during the patch or expansion that the content is relevant. That helps to preserve the integrity of these types of unlocks. People seem to get really upset by these things.

So when I say: "Just playing the game", I guess I mean: I don't like titles that you can casually obtain. We both agree that we don't want titles for things that normal players can do.

At the end of the day as long as I can turn them off I guess I am happy. The titles that are a mouthful are cool in game of thrones when some one of note enters the throne room and their titles are announced. I would never want to see:

"Vhaeyne of the House Ebonscale, the Ninth of His Name, The Badass, King of Verra, The bane of the Tulnar, King of Underdark, Big dong of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Lord Regnant of the 118 Nodes, Breaker of Games and Rider of Dragons"

On my screen. Even if I did eventually do all that crap. XD

Oh god cant handle those type of titles either. It really gets annoying when you see players that have just started the game having cool titles for no reason. Although most of these titles would have requirements for player interaction, as so much of the world of Ashes has, so the it wouldn't really get nerfed in that sense. Also I understand what you mean with the long title that you show at the end but just a reminder that these are unique, only one player can obtain it and only one title can be held by a player at a time, I wasn't really planning on splurging here but this is a really fun discussion so Ill just give a quick summary of what I had in mind

"Unrivaled Under the Heavens"- obtained by beating X amount of unique max level players without dying a single time, to anything in the world. The amount of players is an X variable right now because I'm not sure exactly how it would be balanced in scale of difficulty to other unique titles, it could be 61 to have more historical accuracy, or 64, and each player you need to defeat needs to be of a different class.

"The Flying General"- obtained by successfully defending or attacking X amount of castle sieges in a row without dying as a guild master, with a certain amount of participation in the siege itself, in order to remove the chances of a player simply playing super safe the whole game, a certain amount of kills or assists would need to be reached to be eligible for it to count towards the achievement, it can also include a merit based system where other players participating on your side would have to vote for eligibility. While this title could be dominated by mega guilds or mafia guilds, that makes it even more historically accurate, I mean its not like the people that Li Guang conquered wanted to be defeated, he just happened to have more and better troops, and was a better leader.

"Conqueror of the World"- obtained by successfully winning guild wars, with similar eligibility as "The Flying General"

"Lord Protector"- obtained by being a mayor or some other political position for a long time, due to my limited knowledge of how all that works, this is a rather ambiguous title and I havent put much thought into it.

"Scourge of God"- obtained by being a corrupted player, having killed an X number of bounty hunters, as well as not having reduced corruption at all or dying in the world. I could emphasize more on this part but this was only supposed to be a summary and I have talked way too much at this point.

That being said, all these are obviously just things that I thought would be interesting to create player uniqueness, I mean, imagine being one of the only 5 players on a server holding one of these titles. Also, titles are already going to be a thing in Ashes as rewards for castle sieges so I suppose it really doesnt matter that much.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Scourge of the Ancients??
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My idea for a custom title would probably be:

"X, the Lord of the Fallen": the unlock requirements would probably be finding an event unique monster and doing a 1 person only quest. Or something... im more of a name maker than a requirements maker 🤣

Other titles:

"Dragonlord X": Complete the Dragonflight event? 🤔

"X the Crusader": Successfully complete a crusade.

"X the Legendary Swordsman": Kill 10000 enemies using Sword type weapons

"X, the Gatekeeper": Kill 10000 players while defending the gates.

"X the Armageddon's Blade": Trigger an Apocalyptic PvX event.

"Lord of Winter X": Defeat the Lord of Winter in the Snowy Mountains. (That is if there will be such a boss)

"X of the Hood": Kill 1000 red flagged players and return their possessions to their rightful owners.

"Hope of the Lands X": Defend Green and Purple players from Red player raids.

OK, I dunno why but I kept going haha...
    Well my examples lol. Most of my examples are 1 player per server
  • There should be unique titles and be introduced after launching by 6 month or something, while you're playing the game a new quest appears to everyone at the same time and the first (1~10)k players will complete it will claim this unique title.
    MySign35.png