Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

July 9th No NDA

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I recall New World Dev`s discussing how they partly held back a build while trying to achieve particular testing objectives, so was wondering would the July 9th build that commences the No NDA period likely be an iterative update or a new build?

Comments

• TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Well if Intrepid can't get the ghost AI bug solved I'd say there's a good chance that the July 9th no NDA doesn't happen.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • DreohDreoh Member
    ghost AI bug?
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The bug is causing rubberbanding in areas of high activity.
    As I understand it, it seems to be related to mob behaviour AI somehow, but we don't have great insight :wink:
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Dreoh and @maouw the bug Talents is referring to is caused by how unreal engine deals with mobs when they die. The details are a little complex but the important part is that when players kill mobs, there is a "ghost" left behind that degrades server performance. The more mobs are killed, the more ghosts appear and this eventually crashes the server.

This is a flaw in Unreal Engine that Intrepid are working to fix.

volunteer_moderator.gif
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Seems to me that we've been getting slightly better builds.
    More NPCs. NPCs with appearances not yet available in the character creator. More quests.
    Friday was the first time I had seen the Siege Armor vendor, but maybe I hadn't been to high enough level Node before.
    Rubberbanding is not as bad as it once was.

I think July 9 might be a decent jump forward in someways because Steven is hoping to have the new character creator options revealed on Twitter in by then.
  • DreohDreoh Member
    Ah so just a typical memory leak issue

I thought you were saying ghost enemies were having some critical bug like aggroing from miles away or something lmao
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dreoh wrote: »

I thought you were saying ghost enemies were having some critical bug like aggroing from miles away or something lmao

It's not a memory leak per se, more a flaw in how unreal engine handles certain objects. It works fine for single player games but not so well in an mmorpg where players are killing hundreds of mobs a minute.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • DreohDreoh Member
    Dreoh wrote: »

It's not a memory leak per se, more a flaw in how unreal engine handles certain objects. It works fine for single player games but not so well in an mmorpg where players are killing hundreds of mobs a minute.

Not to start an argument on semantics, but that is exactly what a memory leak is lol