Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Which nodes will prosper?

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
If a node is only in close proximity to one or two other nodes and/or at an edge of a land mass, then would it have different chances to prosper than a centralized node that can make trade in all directions.

Will its capacity to fullfil objectives be better served if it is near water or near a mountain?

Can a node be self autonomous and not require relationships with other nodes to prosper?

Would a node on an island likely have a different culture to a landlocked node?

Monday muse

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The other thing to keep in mind with coastal nodes not having as many nearby nodes is that this means they will have fewer vassal nodes. Since vassal nodes will contribute experience, I wouldn't go betting on a coastal node in a race with a landlocked node.
  • PercimesPercimes Member
    edited June 2021
    Considering almost all major cities on Earth are coastal there must be some sort of advantage aside from the view.

Naval travel and commercial trade routes could offset in part not having as many vassal nodes. "Safer" and bigger caravans?. Better access to resources through trade? Harder to set sieges to? Less surrounding nodes meaning the ones there are can grow faster because there is less competition?
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Remember that we must think three dimensionally, since there will be under-realm nodes as well, which will influence the nodes around and above them.

I suspect that the nodes will be roughly equidistant from each other, so there will be nearly equal opportunity for vassal nodes with the exception of the nodes on the edge of the map, which will have fewer vassal opportunities.

I also suspect that the economics of caravans will make a node that sends out more caravans wealthier, amplified for Economic nodes. So I doubt that self autonomous nodes will prosper as quickly or as much as nodes which have active relationships with others.

Being near water/oceans/mountains will probably make a difference in a couple of ways. One will be the resources that they have access to. Mountains might mean more minerals and raids with mineral related drops such as diamond jewelry, Oceans more fish and (speculating here) raid drops of ocean resources and jewels of pearls, etc. Nodes near rivers might have more and better farms and crops. The other difference, the one which I think will be the most important to node success, will be Population Throughput. WTF do I mean by that....?

Population Throughput will be the natural flow of players into and out of nodes based primarily on geography and (eventually) by population density on the map. Starting area location and geography will naturally channel players into certain nodes when the game opens. These nodes will tend to develop faster. These likely will be nodes more central to the map, so the nodes that are remote (including nodes on the edges and on islands, perhaps in the under-realm) will naturally develop more slowly since they are more remote. People can wander into a central node from 360 degrees. A node on the edge will only have 180 degrees of access, one in the corner will have less than that, far fewer players happening by.

Other factors which will have smaller impact on early node development will be things such as:
    - Perceived attractiveness of the location. Players may be drawn to waterfalls and maple trees more than to deserts and prickly pear cactus.
    - Types of nodes. Crafters may gravitate towards Economic nodes, PvPers towards Military nodes. The varying proportions of players who seek different types of nodes is something we can only guess at.
    - Natural geographic routes. Players will tend to use mountain passes. Players will tend to cross oceans at narrow points. Players will tend to hunt in open areas with good fields of vision rather than congested areas where they can be 'snuck up on'. All these factors will benefit the growth of nodes in these areas.

So I will make a speculative prediction about the impact of Population Throughput on the first six months or so after release. Nodes towards the middle of the map will develop first and these nodes will have a tendency to cluster. As a result, there will be a competition for vassal nodes and conflicts between the fast developing nodes prior to the metropolis stage. We will have some nice conflicts due to proximity.

Also the edges of the map will be less well populated. This will give us areas of 'Wilderness' beyond the pale of the developed cities. Groups/guilds can organize themselves into communities on the frontiers of civilization to avoid the powers that be in the central cities.

I think that all of this will be wonderful.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    For me, Node Type is more important to me at the moment than location.
    I think, next, I would hope to find a region that seems to fit my race.
    I think what really makes Nodes prosper is how many people want to participate in the progress of the Node - I'm not sure trade with others makes much difference other than general cooperation vs competition.
    The danger of being self-autonomous is not having help against a Siege.

I would expect a Node on an island to have a Naval culture.
  • Despite any other factors, yours truly will be in-support of Scientific Nodes. Not all servers will have it, but I want to know that the effects of my gameplay are going towards supporting the "airships" that will only be around if there are 2 Scientific Nodes that are at Metropolis level.

If I never own a flying mount, I at least want to see the world (and grab screenshots) from way up high, without having to be standing atop a mountain.