Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Open World PVP

Veteran gamer since diablo 1 and WoW. Played every single mmorpg ever.

End game, I want to be able to HUNT and BE HUNTED as a solo player or with a friend. Open world is fun and dangerous, awesome for end game. Always a threat of coming across a hostile player. Forcing players to venture out into the open world to farm stuff to craft epic gear or to find rare epic drops or doing trade pack runs is key. Take caravans further into enemy territory for greater rewards. Risk vs reward. The longer the trade journey the more gold u get. Choose to be a bandit or a bodyguard to other players. Hide on trade routes and jump out and surprise people.

Hostile Players can become like a roaming Boss mentality. Hunting. Corruption system is key. Yes I can choose to hunt innocent players for some honor points or something relevant to progression for gear, but i also will make the game harder for myself by being flagged.

Enter BOUNTY HUNTERS. Don’t want to be a bandit? Ok. Progression can also come from ACTIVE BOUNTIES on the map. Maybe a bulletin board that has a list of player names on it that have high corruption and their last known location someone saw them at auto fed to the board. Makes bandits want to stay hidden and creep around. If you are flagged and someone sees you, expect some bounty hunters to flood into that region immediately. No camping possible this way. Constantly being hunted and hunting. Bandits chasing players, bounty hunters chasing bandits. Players always in motion.

Of course even the bandits need to farm mats to improve their gear. Everyone is always vulnerable at times.

Pve players can progress how they want and just do dungeons or raids or world bosses or farming. Pvpers can progress how they want and do open world pvp on many levels.

MUST have ways for solo players to do open world pvp. Not just big sieges and battles. SUSPENSE is key. OPEN WORLD SUSPENSE. Risk vs reward. play how you want. Be a fisherman. Or be someone that steals fish from fisherman. Etc

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like you'll enjoy Ashes.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    The corruption system is there to discourage Player versus Non Combatant, but it won't impact on you if you choose to play Corrupted vs. Bounty Hunter because the corruption negatives don't apply vs. Bounty Hunters.
    I know a percentage of the community know all this, but just in case someone wants to know more...
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Corruption
    https://ashes101.com/pvp#corruption
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2021
    Ashes doesn't have an endgame.
    Ashes is PvX and we will be doing the same gameplay at max level that we were doing before max level.
    The focus of PvP is objective-based group PvP.
    And it's also balanced for 8-person group with rock/paper/scissors trinity, so you can't really guarantee consistent solo 1v1 PvP wins.
  • Options
    Well the most likely place for you to hunt and be hunted is PvP zones. Corruption system actually as it is presented without augments is designed to prevent ganks or Open World PvP.

There will be PvP zones if you have enough of them they can mimic Open world pvp. Or one huge pvp zone were people that love to hunt to be hunted can go will also mimic Open World PvP

But strange as it sounds technically there will be no Open world pvp In Ashes of Creation instead the open world (not pvp zones ) will be under the Corruption system which in theory is designed to detter ganking
    which is the key element to Open world PvP. No ganking no Open world PvP simple as that.

So we have Corruption instead of open world PvP and everyone will be flagged for PvP basically Everywere. Does this make sense to anyone.

Node vs Node Event

Caravans dependent on if you find one and if there is one to find.

Guild vs Guild Event

Castle Sieges Event.

Just to be cear while you are out and about questing and farming the chances of having Open World PvP is going to be pretty low if they make the Corruption system work as intended. There is the bounty hunter system but that does not compare to true open world PvP or a true open World Pvp Game.

So lets say the experience that games like Battlestar Galactica Online had to offer or Eve Online will not be present. Just to be even clearer let say Battlestar Galacticica Online Had a corruption system with pvp zones around PvP objectives like outposts and around pvp resources like planetiods adn lets say asteriods and every else there would be a corruption system that hindered the hunt and be hunted gameplay sounds pretty weird right.

Posted about this in another post. If people really want true open world pvp then they are going to have to ask for it and see if the devs will give it to them. Which means no corruption system.

Really do not see the point of flagging everyone on the server for pvp then punishing them if they do with the corruption system.

Maybe what they are trying to do is Red team (corrupted players) vs Bounty hunters and Green Team I really do not know. Do see how this is better than red team vs blue team.

Just to be even clearer if per say there was a day and there no ganks in the corruption zones then as it stated by Ashes of Creation this would be Perfect Cause they do not want ganking in corruptions zones.
    So no Open World PvP in Corruption is the way they want it. Ashes of creation as stated by Creative Director wants no ganking in his game which is key element in open world pvp.

So it is going to be Events and PvP zones.

Plus have not heard any thing about large scale instance pvp either.

May sound outrageous but that is the simple truth about the game mechics in this game.

Of course the PvP Zones will be out in the open world but that is just a technicality.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    Maybe read the PvP page before writing a book. Open world PvP will be a thing and will be tons of fun.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/PvP
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    This guy wants cyrodiil. To run around pointlessly.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the information and links on the PvP/ Flagging system guys. I get it now and I'm impressed. I have no idea if it will work or not but its the best system I have ever seen in all my years of MMO's that seems able to deter ganking, allow for retribution and keep the game intense. No PvP gets dull. All open world PvP gets too damned stressful. This seems like a good balance.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    It will work. It works since 2003.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In the Alpha testing today I saw I couple examples of it working.

When the siege was delayed, I saw a fair amount of consensual PvP, with both players turning purple. I also saw some non-consensual PKing that resulted in a couple of players going red. White players who were nearby (not all of them, but enough of them) quickly gave the red players a dirt bath. Both of them gave some good drops, too.

I remember in L2 that people would say, 'Reds give the best drops in the game!'
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    consultant wrote: »
    Well the most likely place for you to hunt and be hunted is PvP zones. Corruption system actually as it is presented without augments is designed to prevent ganks or Open World PvP.
    [...]

if you didnt, read the first answer to this post, but... i will insist a ltitle ;)

Corruption is only when a "combatant" PC attack a "non combattant" PC. The whole world is PvP area, you want to attack anyone, yes there is corruption system to avoid some bad behaviour we all saw so much on so many different mmorpg. Like... waiting your target at the exit of the place where he respawns, kill him, wait again, kill again. And if you think people wouldnt do this... you are cute to have faith in humanity so much ;)

The whole world will be PvP area, you can kill people who are not pvp flagged, but there is risk. you can also fight pvp flagged people as much as you want.

If you hoped a world with no laws, except law of the jungle. kill before be killed, yes. AoC is not the game for this.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Corruption is only when a combatant kills a non-combatant.
  • Options
    open pvp is always a headache for those that don't care for it, I just hope I get something when I have to swat away a few flies.