Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Honor Thy Mayor

Hey Intrepid team! Very much looking forward to starting my adventure in ashes of creation!
just wanted to pitch an idea on your already ambitiously complex game, relative to the mayors of node systems.
was thinking it would be awesome to see an honor system for mayors. i.e. if someone does a good job as a mayor they have something on the lines of a statue for the divine, a plaque in libraries for scholars and banks for merchants, or the mayors' weapons on display for military. and if sieges are successful in conquering the node the history of the mayors are lost forever.
i think this would be a good incentive to have the mayors do good for their node, and the citizens of the node to fight harder in the event of a siege. this can also keep honored mayors relevant to the community of their node if say the mayor took time off. they can come back and not feel to out of place. especially how this game is very community based.
can also add achievements for trophy hunters. i.e. be an honored mayor. be an honored mayor of each type of node. be an honored mayor for 10 nodes. be an honored mayor in 10 of each type of node. etc.

regardless of my idea, thank you all for building this game in advance!

Comments

• tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    How would you define dong a good job as mayor? Local politics, diplomacy, population growth, economic health, development of religion, guilds, roleplaying, raids, health of outholdings and taverns, breeding of mounts, lack of drama......so many things that a good mayor can influence!
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Take time off and the Node has been razed.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    Take time off and the Node has been razed.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Immortalized forever as: "The mayor who abandoned the Node"
    B)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I love the Mayor concept, however with that being said their power should not be overwhelming, we have learned from games like Archeage how Hero's which lasted the same amount of time 30 days, could destroy castles, and sell their accounts to opposing factions.

This absolutley ruins the game for all the players who have worked so hard tying to improve their town/faction. Possibly some kind of way to impeach the mayor where there people could vote them out if was needed.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What I really think needs to be considered relative to op's point is what effect objective based pvp should have on such 'rewards' and how they should be integrated into things like the caravan system.
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • CruelCrusaderCruelCrusader Member
    edited June 2021
    tautau wrote: »
    How would you define dong a good job as mayor? Local politics, diplomacy, population growth, economic health, development of religion, guilds, roleplaying, raids, health of outholdings and taverns, breeding of mounts, lack of drama......so many things that a good mayor can influence!

it would be a type of leaderboard kind of system, local politics and diplomacy would be one of the same in its own catagory, population growth with breeding mounts would be one the same in economic health but it would be a 80/20 influence. the "drama" can tie to pvping and seiges and would be in the opposite scale of diplomacy. you can have religion tied cultism for nodes that get involved with the npc seiges.

Also you can add an npc in the nodes that talk about the greatest mayors of all time throughout all the seiges that wiped their names from their thrown rooms.

you can also include worst mayor as an example of someone who brought down the economy, diplomacy, terrible shot caller (for pvp), and before his term abandons the node. and that mayor can have a plague on the way to the dungeon or celler of the castle. not anywhere as prestigious as say the greatest wartime mayor. or greatest diplomatic mayor. or even the hopeful mayor for those who keep their citizens moral up.
  • Santanico wrote: »
    I love the Mayor concept, however with that being said their power should not be overwhelming, we have learned from games like Archeage how Hero's which lasted the same amount of time 30 days, could destroy castles, and sell their accounts to opposing factions.

This absolutley ruins the game for all the players who have worked so hard tying to improve their town/faction. Possibly some kind of way to impeach the mayor where there people could vote them out if was needed.

this is not any kind of buff, its just a leader board system that is specific to the mayors of nodes. they can be specific to the node type that is being governed by that mayor or all of them can have the same.

personally if this is implemented id like to see them specific to each node type. that would give people a reason to visit and govern different node types beyond just getting the achievements.
  • JustVine wrote: »
    What I really think needs to be considered relative to op's point is what effect objective based pvp should have on such 'rewards' and how they should be integrated into things like the caravan system.

im sure their will be guilds settled in nodes that offer protection to caravans, that can tie into diplomacy for the mayors honor ranking.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Seems to me that different Node Types would have different criteria for what is a "good" Mayor.
    Memorial type should probably depend on race/culture or Node Type.
    And seems like it should be something that citizens vote on - if it's going to be based on what players think is good.
    Seems likely it would be more of a plaque than a statue - since I don't think the devs would create a statue of a player - especially not multiple statues of players.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes, what is good for one type of node won't be optimal for another type.

I'm not convinced we need a game-designed leader board for mayors because reputation in-game will do the same thing. Word will get around. The mayor of Hobbiton might be known for making self serving decisions. Players may encourage their friends to move to Rivendell because ol'Gandalf there does a great job as mayor.
  • id think the scientific nodes would get a plaque, unlike the military node, you'd find their weapons. merchants node may have a shop respective of each rewarding behavior, religious nodes could have a mosaic window of the mayors archtype.
    it doesn't necessarily need to be player vote based. and it may be a bit early to start saying what the good behavior can be cause we dont know 100% yet how much influence mayors will have in the final production of this game.