Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Bounty Hunting tokens

MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Instead of simply awarding the "quest complete" to the last hitting player, the killed bounty should drop some form of token (ear or whatever).

In turn, this token should be delivered to the local taskmaster or sheriff.

This is in my opinion a much better way to do things than simply giving the bounty reward to the last hitting player.

Comments

• Marzzo wrote: »
    This is in my opinion a much better way to do things than simply giving the bounty reward to the last hitting player.

Why? Your post contains no information really.
  • @Marzzo is this something that's already happening in the pre-alpha? I can't seem to find the info you are expanding off of.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • neuroguyneuroguy Member
    edited June 2021
    Sathrago wrote: »
    @Marzzo is this something that's already happening in the pre-alpha? I can't seem to find the info you are expanding off of.

Based on the recent livestream @ 3:57: https://youtu.be/pH5Yt-UfzyQ?t=237
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited June 2021
    neuroguy wrote: »
    Sathrago wrote: »
    @Marzzo is this something that's already happening in the pre-alpha? I can't seem to find the info you are expanding off of.

Based on the recent livestream: https://youtu.be/pH5Yt-UfzyQ?t=237

ohhhh ok. I mean, yeah I think a token dropping sounds better than the sweaty dude you turn the quest into just magically knowing you actually hunted down the right target. What I wonder is how the game will choose who has ownership of other player's loot when it drops. If it's only ever going to be the killing blow that hands it over, the amount of saltiness and trolling that can happen will be monumental.

Edit: Thinking about it a bit, we could solve this issue at least for bounty hunters, as in, the first to tag the corrupted player marks them with their unique bounty hunter "tag" and they gain the loot when the target dies. However, if the bounty hunter dies before the target does then the tag is removed, or replaced by any other bounty hunter that was vying for the kill at the time. We all know that bounty hunters and mercs aren't the holly jolly type and who's to say they wouldn't kill each other to claim a bounty target? Since they are both "flagged" as bounty hunters, and I assume as combatants as well, this would be a great way for those more pvp centered to go out and just duke it out without fear of attacking a bounty hunter that's a non-combatant.

Add all that to the fact that the bounty drops a token that needs to be turned in, and whoever looted the bounty token is prime targeting by other bounty hunters that wanted to make some extra coin but found the job already done.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The bounty coin should be a player trophy that can be mounted on the wall.
  • This sounds like an awful idea that adds unnecessary complexity. Just add an assist on the kill, it's just like any other form of PvP. You already have to loot corrupted players that may have dropped their gear and you may have conflict with other bounty hunters for that potential loot. Although I suspect similar looting rules will apply here as world bosses (i.e. contribution based). The system already has room for drama, it doesn't need to be over-saturated with it. The bounty hunting system should act as a deterrent for corruption, no need to overcomplicate it.
  • MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    neuroguy wrote: »
    This sounds like an awful idea that adds unnecessary complexity. Just add an assist on the kill, it's just like any other form of PvP. You already have to loot corrupted players that may have dropped their gear and you may have conflict with other bounty hunters for that potential loot. Although I suspect similar looting rules will apply here as world bosses (i.e. contribution based). The system already has room for drama, it doesn't need to be over-saturated with it. The bounty hunting system should act as a deterrent for corruption, no need to overcomplicate it.

Looting a bounty for proof of kill is not complex, nor is it annoying. The opposite, its immersive and fun. Nothing has to stop multiple players from looting a bounty token.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pretty sure it's not in the current design.
    We should probably not add feature creep - already a full plate.
    Also...we'll have to wait until Bounty Hunting is implemented to know how it feels.
    Keep this in mind to revisit once Bounting Hunting is implemented - we can better evaluate then.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    But we can go further...

Bounty hunters hunt Corrupted players.

Corrupted players can probably drop gear. The game can calculate pretty easily which gear is 'most reasonable' for them to drop (least rare of belt, ring, earring, is the easy way), and it has to 'know that the other player is a bounty hunter' already for a certain system (removal of PvP dampening if any).

The Bounty Hunter takes one gear piece as their trophy, and turns that in to the 'Sheriff' as proof (mostly showing, they can keep it). Then some small system allows them to share out the Bounty to some set of people who are also registered as Bounty Hunters (either in the party or designated by the hunter who shows the gear).

Benefits:
    Drama ensues if Bounty Hunters don't want to share a kill or cheat others out of their share, but avoids it and encourages some cooperation between those who choose to work together, without having to worry as much about things like 'doing most of the work, dying at the last moment, and having your Bounty swiped'.

Also, if players can't work out terms, they can just join up and agree to lot on the dropped gear or similar.

The target could 'take off all their rings and earrings and store them' but that just makes it progress to other 'better' gear. If they run around completely naked, dropped item is 'Corrupted Player's Dignity' (for laughs mainly)

The datastructures for this to work are inherent in Bounty Hunting as a system, so the overhead is small. There's already a 'Bounty Issued' data entry on the server, just give that entry itself a 'Token Item' slot that is filled on kill (or on pickup) with the item.

Downsides:
    Came up with it too fast to think of any.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's not in the current design.
    We should probably not add feature creep - already a full plate.
    Also...we'll have to wait until Bounty Hunting is implemented to know how it feels.
    Keep this in mind to revisit once Bounting Hunting is implemented - we can better evaluate then.

I can program this for them in about 10 minutes.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Seems to me, the best way to do this would be to use the same rules they use for looting rights.

It may need slight behind the scenes alterations, but keeping it seeming the same to players (whoever does most damage gets credit and rewards) is probably a good thing.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    I bet you can't - because something has to be designed and implemented for whatever happens when the tokens are turned in. And if nothing happens when the tokens are turned in, there is no point in adding the feature.