Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Suggestion for an Open World Arena

I've been running guilds/communities since 05 in WoW and a simple system I and others got loads of fun out of was their empty Arenas out in the world - where anyone who enters is flagged for pvp and can team up with people in parties. Not suggesting any rewards be tied in or anything like that. Just having access to something like this in the game would be great for player driven events/interactions.

Just for example, I've of course done many tournaments using these arenas, Free For All battles, crazy stuff like 2v2v2v2 or 4v4v4v4, something we called Pokemon style battles, and last man standing fights for huge player donated gold prizes. I've also used instanced arenas for tournaments and streamed them out so people can watch, but there's nothing like being in the audience seating of the arena itself while these spectacles take place.

In AoC, I think these arenas could be something that are built within a city of a certain level (or maybe they scale in grandeur based on node level). I think they could also be used as Queuing locations for the game's intended Ranked Arena (which I assume will be instanced).

Anywho, big fan, A2/B1/B2 tester one day!
Katrell

Comments

• GrihmGrihm Member
    We had this in Age of Conan, and we usually took a spot in the world, and the word spread through the gamers, and there was always fights there to be had.

Pick a good spot, and i´d say you will get a good rush of customers.
  • For sure, but I'd rather see it be a structure itself. Rather than a street brawl lol.
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    I am sure there will be old ruins etc you can use. Just make sure not to claim a questing area or so ;)
  • No doubt, I'm sure we'd find a way and deal with whatever is given, but that's why this is a suggestion. I think it works very nicely into the node progression system. ;)
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2021
    Small random arenas around the world, where you are flagged for combat inside them, and you dont get xp debt upon death should be IN EVERY MMORPG.
    And ofc, the best mmo so far, L2, had them.
    An npc just outside should heal mp/hp for non combatants so that players can always be rdy for a duel.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This could even work as a freehold option - but honestly, it sounds way cooler if it's a designated place in the wild.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • @George Black and @maouw

I like the healer npc idea for sure! I'm thinking too big an arena for a Freehold option, I'm also thinking it would fit nicely into being a queue entering spot for Ranked arena.. which I would expect to find in a city.

Random around the world or "in the wild" seems counterintuitive to the core system of the game though. Seems to me something like this would HAVE to be found in a progressed node, built by players, in order to fit into the idea that Verra is essentially barren outside of what players develop. That said, a single special, ancient arena that could be found is a neat idea. But for me, only in tandem with the original thought.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Katrell wrote: »
    @George Black and @maouw

I like the healer npc idea for sure! I'm thinking too big an arena for a Freehold option, I'm also thinking it would fit nicely into being a queue entering spot for Ranked arena.. which I would expect to find in a city.

Random around the world or "in the wild" seems counterintuitive to the core system of the game though. Seems to me something like this would HAVE to be found in a progressed node, built by players, in order to fit into the idea that Verra is essentially barren outside of what players develop. That said, a single special, ancient arena that could be found is a neat idea. But for me, only in tandem with the original thought.

You are not wrong. Personally I would prefer them to exist a bit further away from a lv3 node or higher.
  • I think that would be part of the beauty of it right? That to find that smaller crowd for it.. you'd want to go find that smaller village, town, etc.. that happened to build one and find some fights there. Then, if you intend to use what I picture to be a coliseum sized arena in a metropolis.. you'd better have the muscle/numbers to dictate the show. @George Black
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If they let you build it in a node, it should be really expensive so that it only ever gets built if the demand for a huge arena exists.

I'm not keen on an empty colloseum with 5 people sparring in it.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • @maouw Absolutely! It may not be what one metropolis prioritizes. Your servers arenas might only be found in your smaller nodes. BUT, if you happen to have that metro that DOES want that big arena, it's possible to do. like I suggest too, I think it would be neat if this was the only way to access ranked arenas as well. So, if a metro wants access to that for its people, they'd want an arena. But, could still be found at smaller nodes where the cost wasn't as high.
  • maouw wrote: »
    it sounds way cooler if it's a designated place in the wild.

This. The old ruins of one big Colosseum. Same map location on every server, unrelated to node progression, unrelated to quests, just some ruins with nothing inside.

I don't know what would be the best way to deal with the PvP inside the arena, but hopefully FFA with no experience debt or corruption.

Either way, I can't think of any major downsides to having this, maybe making the real state around it more valuable.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There is a structure exactly like that on a beach north of Mist mire. It's hella cool. Would be a cool place to hold duels. I wish I had screen shots.
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • Just want to resurrect this suggestion and welcome any further discussion on it!
  • Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited January 16
    Taverns could serve as the starting point for a brawl mode. Inside a tavern, you could consume any alcoholic beverage, giving you 5 minutes timer letting you start the special action for brawling. Activating it within the tavern initiates the brawl mode for 5 minutes. The brawl mode would not be confined to the tavern's limits; participants could fight inside the bar and continue it into the streets

Freeholds could have similar similar feature, which would be particularly fun in guild meetings
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Katrell wrote: »

I remember " Southshore versus Tarrens Mill " in WoW, in good ol' Lordaeron. 😁

But aside from a "few Arena's" in like Feralas, or Stranglethorn and so - there were never really Places where we could have Fun-Fights like in a little Fight-Club, right ?

Nothing against People creating these Spots to meet and bash each other's Faces in themselves, though.
    0blpmydr0qkc.png
  • Aszkalon wrote: »
    Katrell wrote: »
    But aside from a "few Arena's" in like Feralas, or Stranglethorn and so - there were never really Places where we could have Fun-Fights like in a little Fight-Club, right ?

There are actually many throughout WoW. STV, like you mentioned, Blade's Edge and Nagrand (in TBC and WoD), Val'sharah (Legion), Azure Span (Dragonflight), and there is one at the Darkmoon Fair. Potentially more that I can't recall off the top of my head.

I'd like to see legit "arenas" for this player driven content. It's a lot cooler when you host one of these deals designed for an audience, as opposed to just some random spot. I like both my original thought of a potential structure that could be built in a node city tied to instanced pvp queues that doubles as a FFA arena AND the notion of an ancient arena hidden somewere in the overgrowth of Verra.
  • Sounds like something that could be part of a military node, like a "training ground"