Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What happened?

So I recently just rewatched some old gameplay footages about a mage running around in Verra (2017). It felt like the direction of the environment and overall art has changed. In the old footage I see deep forests, dense grass, dark places where the mage had to use the "lighting orb" to see properly. I can't to see these kind of things nowadays.
And also the mage there looked like a complately different mage compared what we see in the streams nowadays (utility skills like slowing down the falling, summoning a wall), it feels a lot more "mage likely" to me. Overall it was promising more than we can see today.

I'm just wondering...will we see those kind of skills and environments in the future, or the game just going in a different direction? What do you think?

Comments

• neuroguyneuroguy Member
    edited June 2021
    Currently, they are working heavily on the 'tropical' biome which is what ~all of the new footage is in and what most (I think) of the alpha map will be in. I suspect this is to have lots of nearby water to test/develop water content too. We will get lots more biomes like the forests we saw before.

That mage skill is still planned for in game, but it is meant to "Reveal secret passages and magically hidden terrain around you". The lighting stuff relative to the dark environment in particular was something IS was playing around with to test their capabilities and see what they could do with it. For example would it be fun to have to take a torch into dark caves? (read the little bit on the wiki about darkness https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Environments#Darkness ) So some of the dark lighting and the density of the forest were things that were being played around with, we don't really have any updates on how much darkness and lighting will play a role in the game though last I checked. Would make a great question for the Q&As though!
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It is probably notable that none of the new footage is actually using the game's intended day/night cycle. All new videos are in 'full daylight'.

I've been underground in the Alpha-1 Preview. It can get darker, but currently not 'I need a spell to see' dark.

It's definitely still in the builds though, if you go underwater it gets pitch black quite quickly as you dive.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Azherae wrote: »
    It is probably notable that none of the new footage is actually using the game's intended day/night cycle. All new videos are in 'full daylight'.

I've been underground in the Alpha-1 Preview. It can get darker, but currently not 'I need a spell to see' dark.

It's definitely still in the builds though, if you go underwater it gets pitch black quite quickly as you dive.

TRUE!

At the moment I have no fear of the water because I KNOW they haven't put anything creepy in the water yet.
    As soon as they do, I'm noping onto dry land.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Tenaciel wrote: »
    So I recently just rewatched some old gameplay footages about a mage running around in Verra (2017). It felt like the direction of the environment and overall art has changed. In the old footage I see deep forests, dense grass, dark places where the mage had to use the "lighting orb" to see properly. I can't to see these kind of things nowadays.
    And also the mage there looked like a complately different mage compared what we see in the streams nowadays (utility skills like slowing down the falling, summoning a wall), it feels a lot more "mage likely" to me. Overall it was promising more than we can see today.

I'm just wondering...will we see those kind of skills and environments in the future, or the game just going in a different direction? What do you think?

Pretty sure the footage you are talking about was precreated assets in the engine. It's stuff that's available for any developer using the engine. More of proof of concept or a this is what our initial concept for gameplay will be. Not an accurate description.

I could be wrong though.

From what we have heard from Intrepid, Ashes will have a strong focus on class utility and story elements. They might not end up being what was in that footage but every class will have unique utility that will create a demand for a diverse party. Examples of this are trap finding or finding secret areas/treasures for rogues but the game is really far out and none of this has been implemented. I could very well see magelight or something similar being implemented.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Despite it being day in the videos, the OPs concern is somewhat valid. During its alpha or beta. WoW's Duskwood zone was supposed to be similar, incredibly dark. Almost requiring people to carry a lantern (which I love, it's super immersive) Obviously this never saw the light of day. Remnants are still in though, like guards walking around at night with lanterns.

Anyway, like the OP. I really hope it hasn't been forgotten are cancelled, and that these things still happen. Especially when going out and about where there should not be artificial light.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ariatras wrote: »
    Despite it being day in the videos, the OPs concern is somewhat valid. During its alpha or beta. WoW's Duskwood zone was supposed to be similar, incredibly dark. Almost requiring people to carry a lantern (which I love, it's super immersive) Obviously this never saw the light of day. Remnants are still in though, like guards walking around at night with lanterns.

Anyway, like the OP. I really hope it hasn't been forgotten are cancelled, and that these things still happen. Especially when going out and about where there should not be artificial light.

I wouldn't be concerned about this getting canceled. Steven likes Pathfinder way too much for this to get canceled. I would be concerned if he was into 4e but he has a pretty big interest in story telling and allowing the use of utility/non-combat skills.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • MerekMerek Member
    Reminds me of Darktide, the first trailer gave off a specific atmosphere. Then the second released and it was a complete 180. I doubt we'll see anything that drastic with Ashes, we all hope, but I can agree, not a fan of the biome they consistently show off.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
  • Would have to agree that the game looks much better now, than it did in 2017.

Yes, the character models back then were okay, but they had a much more default-UE mechanical way of movement, in addition to lower detail in textures.

Also, a welcome custom change for IS was detailed in one of the dev updates late last year, in which they completed a long effort for custom lighting in the game world (not that default UE lighting is bad!). I'd felt this was an un-necessary step - but it shows how much they'd like AoC's game world to look and feel unique, over other games on the same/similar engines.

Not worried at all here about them rushing an un-polished game to market!

• KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Azherae wrote: »

There is also a mechanic in place that darkens your screen as you enter dungeons and caves. Like....it gets DARK and then once you pass the doorway, it gets as bright as outside again. This may signify something like the OP was looking at. Maybe we will need some form of light from a spell or an item to go into a dungeon. This would be pretty awesome imo.
  • CriminalCupcakeCriminalCupcake Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Im just gonna say....

Subject to Change?
  • I hate having to turn up the brightness on my monitor in order to see what it is I'm doing.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/