Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

There are not going to be main citys? (Not made it by player)

I know we the players can make citys through the node sistem, but I want to know if there is not going to be big citys for the main races of Vera who wasn't made it by the players.

A example take it from WoW: Humans have stormwind or dwarfes have Ironforge or Orcs have Orgrimmar.

Comments

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The current story implies that all the races left Verra a long time ago and their cities would be ruins.

So, any 'main cities' that are not made by players will probably be archaeological sites.

Maybe you can have a pilgrimage.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Cities will be player made, as the nodes progress, they go from settlement, to village, city, and onto metro. Your examples from WoW would basically be the metro equivalent, and these are not "set" so every server potentially will have their major metros in different locations.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cities

The names however are from a pre-selected list, so we don't end up with "Bonerville" or something.

There are race specific architecture, so orc dominated nodes will have a certain orc flare to them, elves, humans, and so on. I could see a certain city being the "orc city" on a server, but there's not going to be essentially a "race capital" like there is in WoW that's set by the game.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    No, there will not be "main cities".
    nI17Ea4.png
  • ErdunErdun Member
    ty all for the info.
  • I remember hearing there will be small communities of friendly AI that belong to the races that survived on Vera and you can buy things from. Also, there is a very high chance that the first human made cities out of the gateway will belong to the races that spawn at the gateway, since every race will initially spawn at a specific gateway (but then can choose to spawn at a different gateway).
  • This does kind of beg the question about the proximity of the starting areas to the actual, build-able Nodes. So far the discussions and monthly updates seem to indicate that all 5 starting areas will be "close" or "adjacent" to Nodes - but the exact amenities of the starting areas are still a little shrouded in mystery.

However, from everything we know so far, ALL areas of the game will fall into the influence-sphere of a Node; There will be no exempt areas.

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As of now, the starting area on the Alpha Island appears to be part of the 'Winstead' node there, making it almost always the first to level up unless people specifically try to 'win the race' for one of the others.

It is reachable on foot, without overwhelming danger (but some) within 5-7 minutes of running.

The starting area near the portal has basic amenities of Guild master, Siege people, Merchant, Blacksmith, Alchemy area.

Most likely, depending on the number of early quests available, the equivalent 'nearest node that actually contains the portal' will level fastest, which is intended.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    IIRC, the density of node in Verra will be greater than the density that we see in Pre-Alpha. Nodes will be closer together, so probably some will be closer to the starting areas.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There are certain areas of the world map that fall outside the node system as a practical matter. The starter areas are one. People will not be sieging and destroying the portal areas or Tulnar starting camp or leveling it up. They will provide a static experience for new players entering the game to become acclimated. There are also planned POI in the world that are static and unchanging. They may still be in a node, they just don't get destroyed when the node settlement does. As others above have mentioned, don't take too much from the Alpha Map experience. Many things were changed to hit performance marks they wanted and will be changed yet again. And again.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Karthos wrote: »

The names however are from a pre-selected list, so we don't end up with "Bonerville" or something.

Bone City my friend BONE. CITY. perhaps boneroplis. its a necromancer HUB hahahahaha ooo that would be fun though... maybe one server is aloud to be the wild west and custom names? wouldnt that be fun.
  • Surely there should be Underrealm cities, since the Tulnar have been scurrying around down there for so long? Or, have they not figured out yet how to build things? They're waiting for an elf to come along and show them?

@bloodprophet
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Burrows, rocks and the gnashing of fang and claw is all TRUE Verrans need.
    Remember what your mommy used to say. Sticks and stones can break many bones but Elves can never hurt me.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Karthos wrote: »

Bone City my friend BONE. CITY. perhaps boneroplis. its a necromancer HUB hahahahaha ooo that would be fun though... maybe one server is aloud to be the wild west and custom names? wouldnt that be fun.

A city of bones. Sounds like my type of city
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • One feature of the Dunir city could be that instead of being adorned with fancy looking gemstones, the throne is a large gemstone.
  • To my understanding, the Divine Gateways on the Verran side will be in the ruins of the races' old capitals.

Not sure if I saw this somewhere, or if it was something I was taking for granted, given the lore established by the Wiki regarding the ancient racial capitals. Anyone know?

• If would be kind of cool if there was a ruined city large enough and intact enough for it to count as one of their biomes. Rather than only tucking ruins into the other biomes and having destroyed buildings in the forests or deserts.
  • The gateways are pretty much across the world from each other based on the maps they gave. There is roughly just about 1 for every continent and biome. Though some gateways lead to different parts of similar biomes at times. I just don't know how high the levels are going to be baseline for those areas compared to the actual gateway for the biome.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If would be kind of cool if there was a ruined city large enough and intact enough for it to count as one of their biomes. Rather than only tucking ruins into the other biomes and having destroyed buildings in the forests or deserts.

Oooh, this would be cool!
    But I think the biomes and the map have already been decided - plus if you ever saw someone running through the sample dungeons in A1 - they were HUGE (and I hope they become mazes with multiple entrances >:D)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A very large haunted city biome would be very cool. Narrow passages and choke points. Like a more brutal version of Stratholme only larger and open world.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • If would be kind of cool if there was a ruined city large enough and intact enough for it to count as one of their biomes.

That would indeed be awesome. The Toren capital, maybe?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/