Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

how do you get a pre alpha key?

DarksignDarksign Member
edited July 2021 in Support & FAQ
how do you get a pre alpha key?

Comments

• GrihmGrihm Member
    Here basically is where you can get any sort of access
    https://ashesofcreation.com/shop

But are you interested to play, or to test. That´s the question you should start with.
  • I would very much love to help test this game but access price is just a tad steep for me. I miss the old days where testers were selected and had no problem testing the hell out of a game and submitting bugs/feedback. When you start charging people to test....their expectations and behavior changes.
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    Khambhat wrote: »
    I would very much love to help test this game but access price is just a tad steep for me. I miss the old days where testers were selected and had no problem testing the hell out of a game and submitting bugs/feedback. When you start charging people to test....their expectations and behavior changes.

I feel the same. I am sure the Dev´s have a good reason for doing it this way, but i agree, the cost is a bit rough. I have been thinking about going for the 75$ one, but i´m not sure as of yet. It is an investment that will save you some game time, but yeah... i would also love to get into the testing, especially now during Covid with so much time to spare here and there.
  • CriminalCupcakeCriminalCupcake Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Grihm wrote: »
    I would very much love to help test this game but access price is just a tad steep for me. I miss the old days where testers were selected and had no problem testing the hell out of a game and submitting bugs/feedback. When you start charging people to test....their expectations and behavior changes.

I feel the same. I am sure the Dev´s have a good reason for doing it this way, but i agree, the cost is a bit rough. I have been thinking about going for the 75$ one, but i´m not sure as of yet. It is an investment that will save you some game time, but yeah... i would also love to get into the testing, especially now during Covid with so much time to spare here and there.

To answer both of you, they'll probably do this when the game comes closer to launch and is in layer Beta phase. Sure, some games hand out alpha invites, but some dont.
    All we can do is hope they can do it. Right now, they kinda have a cap of how many people can be in the servers without issues, so having access limited to people who pay, as opposed to invites sent out and hopefully responded to, leads to different outcomes.
  • I would love to help test Alpha however I currently work a TON of hrs and honestly I probably wouldn't be as much help as many others due to that. I'm planning on showing up when Beta 1 hits so hopefully by then my work situation has changed and I have more free time to play.
    Big Banana
  • Sabrina LancasterSabrina Lancaster Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021

Something you can draw from this is that it changes literally nothing. People show interest and get selected and you have no guarantees they are people who are interested in the sustainability of the game. There were a lot of people throughout various betas for games, I'm going to reference WoW primarily here, got into beta and did nothing but think it was early access and play around with the new classes because they were considering rolling one. I.E the Wrath beta where almost everybody was playing a Death Knight and bug testing the leveling phase of TBC which was out for two years already, a lot of them didn't bother enough to get to the higher level Wrath zones because the fun of playing DK early wore off and they went back to the live game. Another good example of this was back during 2012 with WoW leading into MoP where you got beta access guaranteed for paying a 12 month subscription, or agreeing you would sub for 12 months and keeping it rolling with one months, etc. However, when this happened a lot of the testers they got were people who were more interested in meme dueling outside of Temple of the Jade Serpent so a lot of bugs made their way into the launch of the game.

People who throw money at something and get alpha/beta access you can question, but you can't deny now they have a monetary incentive that the game actually pays off and work to make it worth that investment. Additionally, you have people like me who threw money at Kickstarter when it first went up because they were very invested in the vision of the game and wanted to support the development. I put money to the Kickstarter because I want the game to succeed, I love the entire philosophy behind it. It's safe to say the majority of people who knew about the game before Kickstarter were in a similar boat. As opposed to people who learned about it later. I am not saying players who learned about the game later aren't as invested, the point I'm trying to get across by mentioning that is WoW is on life support at the moment, 9.1 bombing didn't help them. A lot of people are looking for what the next big MMO is going to be and can viewed of as fairweather friends and be fairly close to accurate. People like that are more about the hype train than putting in the effort to help something be truly fantastic that it ends up being the new hype game to play. So you'd mostly get people more interested in metaing out their start to have an early advantage instead of searching for bugs and trying to figure how things work so there's not as tough of a learning curve early on for other players that would possible dissuade them from playing. Alternatively you can see a New World type scenario where testers by complete randomness that were on the hype train didn't like the vision and demanded it be changed to their belief rather than "I like what this game wants to accomplish, that sounds cool, I want to help them make that vision into reality."

Feel free to disagree with my assessment, I feel it's pretty logically sound, however, I am always willing to be wrong. That's the point of discussion and putting out your viewpoint on things.
  • MerekMerek Member

Having to pay to test an MMO puts the game at a better chance of getting testers that understand the end goal and original vision of the product. If they allowed anyone to test, and this goes for any MMO, you'd get a game closer to a triple A knock-off than something that can stand on its own. If you truly want to 'test', you'll put the money forward.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hi Darksign

It looks like the others have already pointed you in the right direction to get a pre-order pack, so I'm going to move this thread to the support section and close it now. If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out again.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
This discussion has been closed.