Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What character customization features do you want?

GaluxGalux Member
edited July 2021 in General Discussion
A very important feature for any MMORPG is the character creator. It's what you will start fiddling with the moment you log in for your first time and i believe it's a very strong feature to get a person more immersed and hooked into the game. Being able to express your character in as many ways as possible be it for roleplay activities or to reflect parts of you into your character, a well kitted character creator is in need.

We all have our fair share of ideas for how our perfect fantasy character should look, so to fullfill that what would the character creator need according to you?

Ashes Wiki for Character Creator

Personally i love to utilize tattoos/body paint for most of my characters. I haven't played a single game of which i can recall it having a very good customizeable tattoo/bodypaint section, it's usually your standard pretty generic war body paints on your face & upper body / shoulder area (they are of course good in their own way)

I'd love for an advanced section for tattoos/bodypaint where those who want can delve deeper and place them exactly where they want them, from the top of the scalp to the bottom to of your feet. Also re-scale & lengthen etc.. Your pretty standard editing tools.

Instead of the standard 1-2 tattoos total just increase that number significantly to leave room for creativity & so we can avoid having a character that looks unfinished.

Add a glow slider option for tattoos/bodypaint, perhaps a Warlock has green/purple glowing veins on his arms.

And of course let us choose between the Whole color wheel

Glow example (may it be a little crazy looking but it's just for the general idea).
MLYVjRx.png
Multiple combined tattoos example
wjVyNAu.jpgZJoU2kP.png
A more metallic color for tattoo
tzohJTP.jpg
8DGfGVF.png

Comments

• GaluxGalux Member
    Oh! And a similar glow slider for eyes would be cool as well :)
    8DGfGVF.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    Depends on how the armor is designed. Also depends on the lore.
    Not much incentive to have tattoos that a player can place anywhere when the vast majority of players will have 90% of their body covered by armor.

Also, RPGs are going to want to restrict tattoos to reflect the cultures of in-game races - which includes where and how tattoos are placed on the body, in addition to the designs.

Expect the finished character creator to use features from UE5 MetaHuman Creator.
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I personally do not care about customizing my character aside from making it the biggest, ugliest orc possible. A while back someone mentioned a penis size slider (but in a way that I think got him banned haha) and I disagree with this style of customization. @Dygz brings up a good point also. We will be mostly covered with gear and cosmetics so at that point, who cares what most of us look like.

As of now I dislike how all of the characters look. Skinny dwarves who do front flips on every jump is just ridiculous imo.

What would be VERY interesting is if our character will automatically dress down into a secondary set of cosmetics that reveal who we are while in a tavern or at home. If this were the case, detailed customization would be interesting.
  • GaluxGalux Member
    edited July 2021
    Khronus wrote: »
    I personally do not care about customizing my character aside from making it the biggest, ugliest orc possible.
    What would it take to make the biggest ugliest orc? What would that look like?
    We will be mostly covered with gear and cosmetics so at that point, who cares what most of us look like.
    I care & i'm positive so many others care as well. I believe it comes down to the roleplaying aspect though which i love & a big reason why i play an mmorpg :)
    What would be VERY interesting is if our character will automatically dress down into a secondary set of cosmetics that reveal who we are while in a tavern or at home. If this were the case, detailed customization would be interesting.
    That's an interesting idea! I would like an automated feature where i can set up an outfit for my character to wear in like a rested area, sounds neat.
    8DGfGVF.png
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Things I didn't know I needed. Dang this needs to be a tavern/house feature somehow. Thanks!
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • GaluxGalux Member
    Body piercings! For nose, ears, cheek, mouth & navel. Could be fairly standard piercings but it'd be cool with piercing inspirations from example Aztec. I'd love for an ear lobe tunnel.
    8DGfGVF.png
  • bo ... *ahem* ... body shape sliders :)

glows, tatoos & facepaints will also be interesting (ppl have been using them quite creatively in Monster Hunter World & Rise), but I believe glows (especially colors) need to be limited in some way, as I'm sure some ppl will get overly excited and decide to run around in rainbow glows pretending to be an unicorn. That kinda ... ruins the game's atmosphere.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A while back someone mentioned a penis size slider (but in a way that I think got him banned haha).

Yet, if they charged 25$ per inch to unlock each inch of the penis slider, they would make a ton of money.
    Additionally, they could likely get away with 50$ per cup size on the breast slider...

I get that most people don't agree with it, but damn would it be good income for intrepid.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    To respond to OP's question. I just want a ton of good options.

Aion has something in the order of 50+ hairstyles, and none of them are usable to me. Which is insane. It is not that they look that bad, it is just that I don't like any of them. FFXIV is in the same boat really. There is one hairstyle I like out of every class and race combination right now in FFIXV.

Skin/hair colors and makeup/tattoo colors are often too limiting. Why is it that in 9 out of 10 MMOs I play the darkest hair I can get is a deep gray? Just give us the full damn color wheel. Who cares if a few gnomes get jaundice along the way? Color options are always good.

The only place that I think giving the player more options is bad is when it comes to proportions. See Ark:Survival Evolved for a case study how scaling can go wrong. Sliders are great, but when you can use them to make abominations, it is a problem to me.

I would much rather have to look at a green elf or a blue orc than a guy who's hands reach down to his feet while standing straight up. Sometimes the sliders go too far for me.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • GaluxGalux Member
    edited July 2021
    bo ... *ahem* ... body shape sliders :)
    https://youtu.be/KtVUiS7yAHE?t=4360
    ;)Steven got you

8DGfGVF.png
  • ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    Hmm...

Let's see. When I think of a Dragonborn looking Tulnar, I want sliders at the minimum like Neverwinter does, but at the same time I want the sliders to have a soft cap on the main body sliders so we don't have some out of shape shoulders or hands. There is a limit to everything.

I want body tone sliders so I either have a smooth build or a badass chiseled body tone. Like, basically its an additional slider that affects your tone atop body part size.

For monster races, ie Tulnar, I want teeth sliders so that if I have sharp fangs I want to be able to make them short or long...and perhaps types of teeth as well.

Also for tulnar, a choice between claw like hands, regular, beast like hands/legs etc.

Obviously another thing I want is snout slider. Be it length or actual size.... maybe tongue slider and options as well?

An obvious one. A fucking tail slider and selector. Specifically no tail option. THAT is a must.

Let's not forget Boobs and Ass sliders. Those are a must these days, tho I believe Steven is a man of culture already. Also, at least a crotch slider since no dicks are visible xD. You probably will still be able to see the size of the nut guard

Maybe a choice of racials for each race? For extra uniqueness.

So far all of my ideas.

There's also another option. Bonus animations. Perhaps something like runescape 3 where you can get alt animations to replace your old ones... obviously from store and unlockables.
    Animations like running, jumping, evading, auto attacks maybe? A lot of options
  • JxshuwuJxshuwu Member
    edited July 2021
    I played this game called Code Vein (Single player/co-op, dark souls anime type game) and it had very in-depth character customization! The style isn't for everyone, but you could move scars/tattoo's wherever you wanted and size them to how you wanted etc. There's a few videos on the webs that showcases the customization, but i haven't found anything that details the scars/tattoo's thing specifically.

Also, FAT agree on glow effects with tattoo's etc!! Would love to also see glowing eyes, although being able to earn that cosmetic through an achievement would be cool too.

Anyways.. something i'd really like to see in character customization is a wider variety of accessories that fit the games tale and aesthetic. Like elves can get elven decorations/accessories, but not just limited to face like most games, but also accessories on your hands for example.

f3fa0ec3b279e1b942ba0ffd16d91e27.png

I'd also really like to see an OPTION for how to wield certain weapons on idle and when moving. For example, i'd want to choose if my blade is on my back or hanging next to my waist.

d5b27eadf7e26f562e8242779d614b21.png
  • For me the biggest aspect of cosmetics is the ability to have defining silhouettes. An example would be hair styles that actually go past the shoulder, or expand out into giant curls. Another would be having scars the have visible gouges instead of just a 'scratch' on your cheek bone. Or when there's a body slider, you can make a male slender, barrel chested, or have a beer belly without having to adjust 20 different sections.

Options I would also like to see are:

-Limb prosthetics (wood to start, could upgrade it in story?)
    -Nail options (Claws or Long beauty nails)
    -Ability to have armor toggle to invisible (Head, Gloves, Cloak)
    -Large bushy Eyebrow options alongside the eyeliner eyebrows that are always default :'(
    -Post character creation unlockable traits (Glowing, Guild Tattoos, Battle wounds)
    ✦ Concept Artist who enjoys MMORPG's ✦
  • i want them all
  • GaluxGalux Member
    So many cool ideas y'all! Making me very excited :D

@Conrad "For monster races, ie Tulnar, I want teeth sliders so that if I have sharp fangs I want to be able to make them short or long...and perhaps types of teeth as well"
    "A fucking tail slider and selector. Specifically no tail option. THAT is a must"

Oh yes! The tail one especially. Why does it feel like so many games forget about the tail? The tail is important so let us have some fun customizing it! :D

@Jxshuwu "something i'd really like to see in character customization is a wider variety of accessories that fit the games tale and aesthetic. Like elves can get elven decorations/accessories, but not just limited to face like most games, but also accessories on your hands for example"

The accessory in the image provided was beautiful. I too want more body accessories for all races, both that fits (as you mentioned) the games tale and aesthetic but also the fantasy of the race it self.

@KeeperBrGO "i want them all"

Yes, gimme gimme gimme!
    8DGfGVF.png
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    It’s an innocuous detail, but I like that I could change the pupil shape in BDO to give my warrior Witcher eyes. That would be awesome in AoC.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • RamirezRamirez Member
    edited July 2021
    Age slider, i want to be able to so an old looking caracter, i hate that in all mmorpgs you must of the times you need you can only build young and perfect man/women
  • MerekMerek Member
    I'm all for the ability to layer tattoos, but, fluorescent tattoos are a bit much. This isn't Cyberpunk 2077.
  • I love the customization in Black Desert Online
    I realize not everyone cares but for people who do, it cannot hurt to have more options. I dislike the bland options that New World has.

• GaluxGalux Member
    Shinozuka wrote: »
    I love the customization in Black Desert Online
    I realize not everyone cares but for people who do, it cannot hurt to have more options.

"The goal is to have a character creator that is on par with if not much better than what BDO provided"

By the sounds of that you're probably going to be very satisfied with the Customizations :)
    8DGfGVF.png
  • VeyrahVeyrah Member
    Conrad wrote: »
    Hmm...
    *Tulnar options*
    I agree with all your tulnar options.
    Also I hope the reptilian tulnar look basically like the DnD dragonborn race, albeit with a tail (kind of like an argonian).

And for this example i would love if we had full color control for the fur/scales. Preferably 2 colors or more to pick, like main scale colour and also one for details like eyebrows, chin, belly+front of neck etc.

• ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    veyrah wrote: »
    Hmm...
    *Tulnar options*
    Also I hope the reptilian tulnar look basically like the DnD dragonborn race, albeit with a tail (kind of like an argonian).

And for this example i would love if we had full color control for the fur/scales. Preferably 2 colors or more to pick, like main scale colour and also one for details like eyebrows, chin, belly+front of neck etc.

Hence the tail slider / toggle. I personally hate tails on dragonborn since it would be a detriment to mobility and just another weak point on the body, also, get your tail chopped off without having regenerative capabilities and your mobility will be affected since your body is used to being supported by the tail.

Personally, if a Dragonborn... let's say from Neverwinter Online (since its the coolest design) was possible, I would be as happy as it genuinely is possible. I only worry that the Tulnar customizations will be too limited to recreate the dragonborn. Too much expectations usually just get blown to bits
  • Hello All!

I have been following this game for a while now and I have played many MMO's over the last 20 years. Also, this is my first post on any AOC forum. The most important thing to me is to be able to see my character in game. While watching the alpha, the toons looked small to me. One thing I've noticed while watching the New World Beta is their interface is VERY clean and their toons are large on screen with plenty of detail. What immerses me into the game is being able to see my character BIG with detail. It's why I loved to play Orcs in WoW:) I really hope this game is successful and I can't wait to play it on release. Good luck to the Dev team!
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The toons look small.
    It's a camera thing...
    ...and Alpha One.
  • AzvdoAzvdo Member
    edited July 2021
    I'm a kind of player who likes to play with a dual swords, so I was thinking about if we can get this into the Ashes Of Creation universe, this would be very cool and I'm pretty sure that everyone will love.

main-qimg-dcb04d558544eb1a44142970859c1da4
    b76825ea1afe064f196df552fd2c1ccc.jpg
    jp_dual_sword.png
    akamanah_dualsword.png

• I would like a coloring system like Warframe, where you can change the color of certain parts of your armor. The way I would change it from Warframe would be that you can change the color for EACH piece of armor instead of the full set.
    Future Tulnar Archwizard

For me, the only good day is one filled with study and explosions.

-Archwizard Slizard
  • knickiiknickii Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Lots of hair and beard options. And a place to change them...get a shave and haircut, and maybe a dye job. And hood up/ down option for cloaks
  • Arthus DawnbreakerArthus Dawnbreaker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    Glowing eyes would be a fun feature especially for Mages and magic users and Tankers that have rage ;)

I see a lot of people say they dont care about character features because they can't see them, but most of them play zoomed out. People need to realize you can change the camera zoom when you play so if you want to see more detail of the world and your character all you have to do is ZOOM IN the camera!

another feature that would be cool is glowing appendages for example
    Ninja_multiple_view-1024x576.jpg
    more feature options id like to see:
    Scars, tattoos, hair that moves when your character moves ( i hate when games make hair static)

• VeyrahVeyrah Member
    edited July 2021
    veyrah wrote: »
    Hmm...
    *Tulnar options*

Hence the tail slider / toggle. I personally hate tails on dragonborn since it would be a detriment to mobility and just another weak point on the body, also, get your tail chopped off without having regenerative capabilities and your mobility will be affected since your body is used to being supported by the tail.

Personally, if a Dragonborn... let's say from Neverwinter Online (since its the coolest design) was possible, I would be as happy as it genuinely is possible. I only worry that the Tulnar customizations will be too limited to recreate the dragonborn. Too much expectations usually just get blown to bits

The tail could serve purpose, aiding in swimming, combat (whacking with it) and in feline tulnar in balancing for some examples. Also, dragonborn sometimes were born with a tail but they considered it a birth defect.

I can't imagine feline/canine tulnar without a tail btw, it wouldn't be the end of the world if the reptilian ones had it. But a toggle for tail in general might be possible.
  • VeyrahVeyrah Member
    Azvdo wrote: »
    I'm a kind of player who likes to play with a dual swords, so I was thinking about if we can get this into the Ashes Of Creation universe, this would be very cool and I'm pretty sure that everyone will love.

main-qimg-dcb04d558544eb1a44142970859c1da4
    b76825ea1afe064f196df552fd2c1ccc.jpg
    jp_dual_sword.png
    akamanah_dualsword.png

I get it's popular in modern fantasy settings but two sword looks very clumsy to me. What does the second sword add? I would rather have a shield (can also be used offensively), or just use a 2h sword or preferably a 2h spear/pike for the nice reach and speed.