Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Thoughts on Steam Deck?

TheBlazedAceTheBlazedAce Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited July 2021 in General Discussion
So while not directly related to Ashe's I was wondering what the community's initial thoughts were on the Steam Deck announcement today. Honestly, my first reaction was that it seems like a dumb idea. But the more I read and watched on it... seemed kinda cool, considering the potential it has.

Definitely got me thinking about how dope it would be if I could play Ashe's on it during trips or whatever (mouse, keyboard, monitor, docking station etc. can all be used with it). Not super versed with hardware when it comes to PCs, but some comments online are making it sound like it can handle other MMOs currently out there. And who knows, maybe Ashe's will have decent controller support, though I'd definitely prefer mouse and keyboard.

Any strong thoughts?

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9eihvhM_KE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLtiRGTZvGM

♥ In The Name Of Venus, I'll Punish You! ♥

source.gif

https://instagram.com/theblazedace/

Comments

• VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If I wanted to play games on the go, I would just bring a laptop with me.

That being said, I can see how some people would get value out of something like the Steamdeck. I would never use such a device, but I could see younger family members loving it.

As long as MMO devs don't dumb their games down to fit all the buttons on a console, I am happy.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • DreohDreoh Member
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

That being said, I can see how some people would get value out of something like the Steamdeck. I would never use such a device, but I could see younger family members loving it.

As long as MMO devs don't dumb their games down to fit all the buttons on a console, I am happy.

Well from what I've played and seen of ff14 it's just as, if not more, complex as classic WoW and it is cross-play/cross-save playable with PS4 and is fully playable with a controller.
    I've never done it with a controller but apparently it's fully viable.
    Dreoh wrote: »

Well from what I've played and seen of ff14 it's just as, if not more, complex as classic WoW and it is cross-play/cross-save playable with PS4 and is fully playable with a controller.

I never said anything about FFXIV in this thread, but since you bring it up. From what I understand, FFXIV has the 2.5sec GCD to accommodate old consoles like the PS3. In addition, the direction FFXIV has gone in with skill rotations having less skills, but stricter rotations is a result of wanting the game to work on both the keyboard and controller. It is like they design each jobs rotation to work on a controller with a set number of buttons. Which would explain why things like gear "on use" abilities don't exist and situational abilities are so limited in FFXIV.

There are very few abilities outside a player's rotation that need to be on your bar. Basically Sprint, Pot, Knockback Immunity, interrupt and LB (Outside of savage/EX none of this is really needed). Yes, there are some group buffs and CDs in some jobs, but they are limited. It just seems like the game has been striped down to be on a controller.

This all works fine, but I can't help but think there would be more skills per job if it was not designed to work on a controller first. Like I said, there is nothing like gear with "on use" abilities in FFXIV. There are no legendary with "on use" abilities or set items that change the way classes work. There is very limited ways to play each job in FFXIV. I feel like this is done to accommodate controllers.

Classic WOW was simple because it comes from a simpler time. Yes, FFXIV is more complex than classic WOW. I would say on average, a retail WOW class is more complex than a FFXIV job. More so when you talents, gear, and spec customization into the mix. All things FFXIV lacks.

This is all just my opinion from having played both games. I don't think there is a problem with the direction FFXIV has gone, but I do think there would be more skills and buttons per job if FFXIV was PC only.
    TVMenSP.png
  • DreohDreoh Member
    edited July 2021
    @Vhaeyne I completely agree with all of that, as it does make sense, but I don't know why you said this
    I never said anything about FFXIV in this thread, but since you bring it up.

after I was replying directly to the context of this

I was obviously using it as an example in the context you created
    @Vhaeyne I completely agree with all of that, as it does make sense, but I don't know why you said this
    I never said anything about FFXIV in this thread, but since you bring it up.

after I was replying directly to the context of this

I was obviously using it as an example in the context you created

I was not talking about any game specifically with my first post. I had ESO in the back of my mind, but no one could possibly have known that. Specifically, the way healer targeting worked in that game when I played it. Heals just magically went to the party member with the lowest health. Clearly a pro-controller design choice in my opinion. That is all an aside.

You brought up FFXIV here, responding to me. When I first read this, it made me feel like you thought I was talking about FFXIV specifically, which I was not.

No worries, though. I think we agree.
    TVMenSP.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Well from what I've played and seen of ff14 it's just as, if not more, complex as classic WoW

This isnt saying much.

You are basically saying that a fairly simple thing is more complex than a very simple thing.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    I can already play Steam games from a mobile device using the Steam Link app. I don’t get paying a fortune for a new device to do this. (The device is already pricey at retail, and now with shortages who knows how much you’ll have to pay the price gougers who hoard them.)

Hhak63P.png
  • DreohDreoh Member
    Noaani wrote: »

Well from what I've played and seen of ff14 it's just as, if not more, complex as classic WoW

This isnt saying much.

You are basically saying that a fairly simple thing is more complex than a very simple thing.

Maybe for rogue, but wow classic casters have almost too many abilities to fit on their bars
  • Steven has said they aren't planning on any cross-platform support. IF it can be used with keyboard/mouse, then it might be viable, but otherwise use a laptop like Vhaeyne said.
    tK6oEvp.png
  • AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Steamdeck is just a computer. no more no less.
    Computer with controller built in.

If AoC get a controller interface like FFXIV have i think it will be fine
  • TheBlazedAceTheBlazedAce Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Aerlana wrote: »

That's why I'm genuinely curious about its potential for AoC! Every button is customizable and able to be binded to whatever you want... looks like 16 possible key bindings (or more) with its current design, plus the joysticks and trackpads… could be great for the casual grinding or resources and crafting in AoC. I guess we will see!

source.gif

• ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    edited July 2021
    As a Linux gamer, I hope it gets adopted. It's about time we get pre-installs in the PC world.

Other then that. I love my Switch, because I can take it with me. Now I'll have my Steam library with me, which I love. I could just bring a gaming laptop, of course. But these tend to be quite bulky and expensive. This price seems reasonable, at least to me. And I'm not limited to gaming.
    The Steam Deck being based on SteamOS, so it'll come pre-installed with drivers and Steam itself. All one needs is to install Lutris, and you have at your fingertips Emulators from the atari 2600 to Playstation and up.
    Those old games you own from your childhood? That's right, you can play them with ease. And with the controller build in, it's even better.

Yea, I'm excited for it :)

That's why I'm genuinely curious about its potential for AoC! Every button is customizable and able to be binded to whatever you want... looks like 16 possible key bindings (or more) with its current design, plus the joysticks and trackpads… could be great for the casual grinding or resources and crafting in AoC. I guess we will see!

You're forgetting combos. L1+X for example.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

ariatras wrote: »

You're forgetting combos. L1+X for example.

Yep

for those who don't know how controller works on FFXIV :
    One stick to move, one stick for camera.

L2/R2 allow you to change the current skill bars you see

When you see bares you see 2 group of 2x4 button. one on left and other on right

You need to press directionnal key or cross/square/circle/triangle AND L1 or R1 to do a skill (so L1 for the 2x4 button on left, R1 for right)

just have to put more skill bar that already needed to allow player to add button to go to different menu (character, back pack, etc).
    Also for menu, BDO did just build an interface fitting controller. can be nice also, but needs far more work.
  • bigepeenbigepeen Member
    edited July 2021

AoC isn't going to be on Steam. They are hosting their own servers and skipping out on the 30% steam fee.

As for my opinion on Steam deck, I think it's decent. It's like a very compact version of a laptop. Surely it's more comfortable to play on than a laptop when you're not sitting at a desk, but it'll probably only be good for certain games like racing games or platformers. I don't think that AoC is one of those games, because it's a very social game that you probably will have to type a lot in chat, and MMOs typically have too many skills for controllers to comfortably use.
    edited July 2021
    bigepeen wrote: »
    AoC isn't going to be on Steam. They are hosting their own servers and skipping out on the 30% steam fee.

No need for the game to be on steam to be playable on steamdeck. it is a computer optimized around steam. but it remains a computer where you can add other games.

Also, it is a linux (steamOS) using proton. but some anticheat program are not linux-friendly. This could be the limit for AoC (i don't know what the devs will use)
    and MMOs typically have too many skills for controllers to comfortably use.

FFXIV is played a lot with controller. just read my message just over yours to see how it works, you will understand you can go up to 32 skills with no problem.
    Many people for FFXIV (tab-targetting system) find it far easier to play with controller than keyboard+mouse.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    I expect people with Steam Deck would be communicating via discord, rather than typing.
    Toggle for tab v action might be challenging.
    I expect some players will give it a shot.
    edited July 2021

FFXIV is played a lot with controller. just read my message just over yours to see how it works, you will understand you can go up to 32 skills with no problem.
    Many people for FFXIV (tab-targetting system) find it far easier to play with controller than keyboard+mouse.

Yeah, but FFXIV does feel more like a console game than an MMORPG.

Not saying that is a good or bad thing, but when I played it briefly, recently, I just got the feeling I was playing on a PS3.
    Because it was developped for PS3 and PC... The menu was thought for PS3. (on PS4 you can play it keyboard+mouse, but PS3 you couldn't)
    *remember the wonderfull apologies from Yoshida that he couldn't add a feature because "PS3 limitations" :') *

I took FFXIV as example because we have a game that can have more than 16 skills (and the system allow to see 16 skill at the same time on screen, they had to find way to see more)

BDO recently got also a way to play it with controller, i know most people had hard time playing their classes with the controller (the combos, and the direction + input to do skills is not always easy with the stick)

Because one MMORPG managed to do it decently, i think we can totally hope others to manage it...
    Me, i don't care, i am a keyboard-mouse lover :p
  • bigepeenbigepeen Member
    edited July 2021
    Also, it is a linux (steamOS) using proton. but some anticheat program are not linux-friendly. This could be the limit for AoC (i don't know what the devs will use)

You better hope for a Linux port then. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Steven has said anything on the subject. Typically multiplayer games are difficult to run on Linux through proton specifically because of anti-cheat, as you mentioned.

It would be nice to see Linux compatibility, but we shall see.
    Because one MMORPG managed to do it decently, i think we can totally hope others to manage it...
    Me, i don't care, i am a keyboard-mouse lover :p
    To me, a game hasn't managed to do it until they have managed to make the keyboard and mouse experience as good as a game designed exclusively for the PC, while the controller experience is as good as if the game were designed exclusively for a console.

No game has done this yet - none are even really that close.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

You better hope for a Linux port then. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Steven has said anything on the subject. Typically multiplayer games are difficult to run on Linux through proton specifically because of anti-cheat, as you mentioned.

For now there are no ports planned. It has been stated in the past that the game is developed in such a way that ports should be possible, as the code is designed to be cross-platform compatible. But no support for Mac, Linux, or any console has been announced or planned.

Here's a link to an old discussion on one of the nuked discussion boards from days of yore:

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/38748/is-there-going-to-be-a-mac-version

(By the way, how ironic is it that Intrepid keeps deleting the forums in a sort of digital apocalypse and making us go to new ones like refugees in a strange new land?)

Hhak63P.png
    edited July 2021
    You can support Linux without supporting Linux.

WoW doesn't support Linux, for example. Not officially. What that means is technical problems regarding the game won't be helped with. Blizzard does however, make sure their in-house anti-cheat doesn't flag Wine/Proton. Allowing Linux users to play the game.

FFXIV works similarly.

It's specific anti-cheat software that is the culprit. Easy Anti-Cheat and Battle-Eye. And considering Intrepid is going to make their own anti-cheat. They can with very very minimal work, ensure wine/proton doesn't give a false positive. Which is actually what I've asked for a few times, in both the old forums, and the new ones.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

As said by ariatras. The only problem is EAC and Battle-eye (didnt know for it, thank you @ariatras )

You can play ANY game with proton (or wine, but for steamdeck, will be with proton) if the game doesn't use EAC/BE

i already tried it with different game and never had any problem...

This is why steamdeck can run linux also (because we are far from all steam games having an officiel linux support).

So just
    1) having other anticheat than those two
    2) a good enough controller support
    edited July 2021
    Linux has better controller support than Windows most of the time. @Aerlana
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

If someone really wanted to run a game that uses EAC on a Steam Deck, they always have the option of installing windows on it...
    If someone really wanted to run a game that uses EAC on a Steam Deck, they always have the option of installing windows on it...

Bit late, but I'm not all that active. But, why would anyone in their right mind want to install windows on the handheld? Windows isn't at all optimised for the input, to not even mention the stupid amount of bloatware.

Besides, six clicks with the mouse is all it takes to enable support for Proton/Wine. No development time needed, no official support needed, there is no cost associated with it, except for the minute or two it might take to enable it in EAC's dev portal.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

Bit late, but I'm not all that active. But, why would anyone in their right mind want to install windows on the handheld? Windows isn't at all optimised for the input, to not even mention the stupid amount of bloatware.

Besides, six clicks with the mouse is all it takes to enable support for Proton/Wine. No development time needed, no official support needed, there is no cost associated with it, except for the minute or two it might take to enable it in EAC's dev portal.

Six clicks and three esoteric commands typed into terminal...

I jest, I actually really like linux and have high optimism that the steam deck will make linux support more common.

With any luck, a few years from now, photon support will be so powerful I will never have to run windows again.
    TVMenSP.png

This thread - and the post you quoted - are from before Epic officially supported Linux with EAC.

When this thread was active, attempting to get games using EAC to run reliably in Linux was non-trivial. Since people are not going to buy a hand held computer to tinker with getting it to work (pre-support), that is why someone may have wanted to run Windows on one.

If someone wanted to tinker with it, they would do so on a desktop. If someone is buying a handheld, they just want it to play games.

Now that these reasons have changed, it is obviously less beneficial to do so.
  • TheBlazedAceTheBlazedAce Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

You, sir/madam, stand guilty of Post Necromancy!

Lmao this thread is old. But good to see @Noaani bringing up valid points regarding EAC. Cant wait til i get my steam deck lol.

source.gif

You, sir/madam, stand guilty of Post Necromancy!

Lmao this thread is old. But good to see @Noaani bringing up valid points regarding EAC. Cant wait til i get my steam deck lol.

I stand accused, but as the poster above you pointed out. New information has come to light. Which reminded me of this here thread.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif