Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

So everyone here is Pro mount I take it...

I will say this first I am Pro mount. MOUNT UP

But I normally see posts about every new game
" Mounts suck"
"Mounts ruin immersion"
" I like walking everywhere" Ok I made that last one up Hah

When I saw Ashes of Creation had a mount system I was happy. It only took about 5 minutes the first time I played to see people on horses.

In the New World Beta there are no mounts. Holy pooberries , the fights on Steam about mounts and the game is not even out. I think when a MMO is on Steam and you do not have mount system, you will have impulse buyers who assume there are mounts. Then they say in chat 5 minutes into playing " Sooo when do I get a mount?" Then when they find out there is no mount they get log out and apply for a refund.

Thing is I appreciate the scenery like most people. But I don't want to run everywhere .

Comments

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Fortunately Ashes is built with mounts in mind. It's really large. The scenery feelings aren't particularly lost when mounted either.

If you want to find the equivalent of those around here, put 'flying' in front of 'mount' and enjoy.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Mounts have been in the game for quite a long time. Does it matter if I am pro mount or not?

Trying to understand the point of this discussion. Is this about why New World sucks because they don’t have mounts or is anyone suggesting AoC should not have mounts?

I happen to think the mounts in AoC are very well done, which to me shows that someone on the development team has a passion for it.
  • AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mount or not mount on [insert MMORPG]

The mount must have its place. Imagine BDO without mount for example.
    While Aion/GW2 didnt have in release and was perfectly fine with it. Both having enough "fast travel" or even teleport.

In AoC, travelling will fast need 10 min, 15 min ... for close place. with mount.

For new world, if there is some fast travel enough, mount are not needed also.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The Secret World was an MMO with no mounts. However, they did have different sprint speeds. You can only sprint out of combat. So basically, it was a mount in all but appearance.

Then later they added mounts; motorcycles, scooters, jetpacks (which don't let you fly you just hover inches off the ground), and then actual horses.

But really, they did show (at least at first) that you can get rid of mounts without losing any functionality.

Hhak63P.png
  • MarcetMarcet Member
    edited July 2021
    I would like if mounts were a little bit harder to get... like you have to do a long quest to aquire a mounting license, you know some kind of important thing you have to do at lvl 20 or whatever. And then have mounts upgraded with more levels and quests for tier 2 licenses so you can have abilities, etc
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dunno what we will be doing with Animal Husbandry without mounts.
    I don't think pets, alone, will cut it.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2021
    I dont care for mounts.
    I will use them to close distance, but I am afraid it will make the game much less dangerous.
  • im playing the New world beta right now, and i'd sell all my fancy 17th century shoes for a sickly donkey. It takes forever to get anywhere.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • MerekMerek Member
    I'm pro mount but not with their current implementation. One feature I think would work well with Ashes, especially with how mounts will be unique and have their own stats, are physical mounts. Similar to how BDO's mounts work, they're actual entities in the world instead of a vehicle you call in via a hotkey, which is heavily featured within your average themepark MMO. And that works because people literally have a bestiary up their ass in those games.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Sathrago wrote: »
    i'd sell all my fancy 17th century shoes for a sickly donkey.

This is your new sig, @Sathrago. 😆

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not anti mount.

I am however very anti-flying mount.

I am not mad about the current limited use of flying mounts, but I would kind of prefer no flying mounts.

As far as open worlds and travel goes. I have always felt that Darkfall online had the perfect world size and mount speeds. There is a balance between how big a world is and how long it takes to get anywhere that I don't feel very many games get right. No game with flying mounts gets it right IMO.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.