Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Collective Topic: Inflation

AsraielAsraiel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
i fear that without many good systems in the game the ingame curency "gold" will face a inflation due to not enouth systems to get money out of the game.

currently in alpha there aint any big system to take money out of the game and about every monster dorps a item that can be sold. on what i have seen on housing and crafting theres also not much to get money out. so i start here the topic to collect ideas that may help counter a inflation. as i have seen so many in almost every game i played and that ruined the trademarket and game in the end specialy for new players.

lets hear those ideas

regards Asraiel

Comments

• CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited July 2021
    I’d suggest you read about the systems already planned.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

https://ashes101.com/

You can always search the forums too. We’ve been yakking about this game for years. 🤪

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • AsraielAsraiel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    - upon buying a house, appartment or Freehold a rent is placed on them to keep them
    - if players can have storrages at 3 or more nodes (wiki says a character can have 1 house and 1 apopartment as well the account can have 1 freehold) so by adding additional buyebla or renteble storrages in other nodes. and then by adding a limitation to the backpack so only a certain amount of gold can be carried around that would lead to reductions if nodesiges were sucsessfull.
    edited July 2021
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I’d suggest you read about the systems already planned.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
    https://ashes101.com/
    You can always search the forums too. We’ve been yakking about this game for years. 🤪

im sorry but can u link more directly thoise links doesnt give direct answers. i did my research on wiki and i never seen a game yet that didnt had that problem. so setting up a system that realy works is hard and imputs are always welcome.

i think you wanted to link
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Economy
    it has some systems in even it does list
    unknown.png
    it says gold sink but the page lists item sink

you primarly get gold by selling items to npc's and you may need some items to keep repairing your gear and farming tools but you will keep making more money than you loose to keep the gear intact so it leads to a decreas of the curency value even with some mechanics that pull gold out again its hard to do it so it doesnt happen cause not every player will own a house or use a vendor shop and so the money in the game will increase.
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    What I can find so far is that there will be a listing fee for selling items with a tax as well. The tax will go to the control of the mayor for city upgrades; but, the mayor can only use the tax for city upgrades which effectively removes the gold from the player economy.

Assuming that players generally buy materials to repair most gear, then the tax on the transaction will turn that into at least some amount of gold sink.

While there will not be fast travel (instant), there will be faster travel (such as flight paths) that are presumably paid by giving gold to NPCs.

This is part of the info:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Taxes#Auction_houses

The rest of what I said was information that I'm aware of and can cite if needed.

I do agree that more gold sinks rather than less is probably better for the long term economic health of the game.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Any game that has an actual, viable use for gold manages to keep inflation somewhat in check.

It is games like WoW where gold really isn't needed for progression at all, and is only ever for things that are "nice to have", that inflation really kicks in.

While I don't advocate the exact system, Archeage is a good example of a game with a great economy in terms of reducing inflation.

If a player had gold, they were probably going to use that gold to regrade an item in order to try and improve it. Since there was a good chance this would destroy that item, it meant people were constantly crafting new items to try and regrade higher and higher, using more and more gold in the process, and destroying more and more items as well, causing them to need to craft more and more items, meaning they were buying more and more components.

Basically, as soon as gold can be put towards character progression, inflation sinks to actual viable levels because people are constantly using the coin they have.
  • VeyrahVeyrah Member
    edited July 2021
    These are all examples of RNG based sinks. These can be very frustrating, and in the end when many people have their desired gear there could be inflation again.

I would much prefer a sink in terms of gear drop on death which combats inflation so well you can remove half the other sinks, preferably the rng ones. But I know this will probably not be a thing :(
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2021
    veyrah wrote: »
    These are all examples of RNG based sinks. These can be very frustrating, and in the end when many people have their desired gear there could be inflation again.

I would much prefer a sink in terms of gear drop on death which combats inflation so well you can remove half the other sinks, preferably the rng ones. But I know this will probably not be a thing :(

The problem with the idea of trying to control inflation via player death is that a good portion of player income is made doing things that don't see players dying.

Most currency that is created (as opposed to traded) in Ashes is going to be created via certificates. Certificates are earned from killing mobs - trash mobs. Trash mobs don't kill players., so players can still generate money (which is what drives inflation) without putting the inflation controls in to effect.
    well as mentioned gold wil be kinda a secondary thing. gear is crafted mostly with ressources also the repair is done with resources. shure there are taxes if it comes to sells or buy over merchants or vendorsstands but there will also be the direct player 2 player that may not get taxed. or dont use gold in its transaction.

and cuase gold is more there to make trades easyer players need a amount to actualy participate in several activitys at the start of the game no player has gold after a year in the game i guess these players will have accquired severl millions each shure they need it inorder to do trades and crafts and yes getting some materials to craft may only be obtaineble from npc merchants or also like schematics but with lvl 50 as level cap there will be a point where players may be geared once that point is reached the use of gold may drop partly and so it will slowly increse in the players inventory. theres yet no mechanic planed that make gold looseble in sieges by death or else only when a players buy or rent stuff it may go into the void.

and inflation may not be the thing for the first 2-3 years even if it allredy starts at game lunch.
    i fear that in long terms the infations does make the game harder for new players and so may add to a constantly decresing playerbase.

need and demand does impact the pricing but also how rich the economy is something migth be cheap at start but will later turn out to be very expensive maybe not for those that where there at start but for all of those that come later to the game.
  • SleytherSleyther Member
    edited August 2022
    For currency they should have a limited amount of it do get deflation and a healthy economy, the problem with games economy is the ilimited amount of gold you can get by X ways,like dropping from mobs etc.By putting a limited amount of it, that players could trade items to get.And initially for players to get that amount, they could drop via quests or a mining profession like in real life with real gold until the mines were empty.

Also, with deflation, the gold that you get 1 year ago, if you come back, it will have more value than before, rather than less.

In case that someone quits thegame or stops trading their gold, it will simply cause even more deflation and other peoples gold will have more value,because there is less gold in the economy.

And talking about npc trading, that`s a point o 'destroying gold', they could:
    1- Use another currency 'like silver' to make only npc trade, that could drop endlessly
    2- when the gold is deleted from the world via npc trading,etc. Mining,drops, or other contents get gold as a reward to replenish the amount that was destroyed.

With more items to buy, the demand for gold to buy these items will raise, making the gold deflate by time.Making it a good currency for keeping all your patrimony in the long term.

All of that would increase the game lifetime, making old players that come back not feeling like they lost something, and players playing feeling safe to put their game time in a resource(gold) that won't lost value through time.
  • That's what Alpha-2 is for, right?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • if to much gold enters the world they can always have an event that acts as a gold sink if they need to
  • In a closed loop fantasy setting there’s always the tried and true DnD ‘you wake up and someone has stolen all but 10 pieces of your gold’ mechanic.

This is basically what Argentina did with its currency a number of years ago.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png