Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Suggestion] Streaming Icons & Social Media Lookups in Game

SechariSechari Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Not sure if anyone has brought this up before, but I thought I'd throw an idea that just occurred to me into the mix and see what comes of it.

I do quite a bit of YouTube content creation and Twitch streaming. I was thinking it might be nice in this game to have a feature I can toggle on at any time that shows an icon somewhere above my character's head to let folks around me know that I am livestreaming or recording. Just as a courtesy. The examples of where this might be useful abound: As a guild leader in times past, for instance, some folks would be hesitant to discuss things with me if they knew I was streaming (which was wise). They'd have to ask every time and I'd have to jump off if I was. Some folks would also behave better, I'm guessing, simply knowing there was a live record being created by someone around them -and again, they probably deserve the courtesy of knowing what they are saying and doing is being livestreamed/recorded by someone.

Then as I was thinking this through, it occurred to me MMOs are all about building communities. Could the guild panel show website, Discord, guild-specific podcast links, etc.? Could I as a player supply my social media, Twitch, Twitter etc. (if I care to) and have it show up on some /inspect profile when friends want to look me up?

Thoughts?
sech_signature.png

Comments

• CROW3CROW3 Member
    Not sure if it’s a handy designation, since a big chunk of the player base is recording through some service - but aren’t content curators.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Personal opinion:

You're asking for a feature (twitch/stream integration, etc.) that will only apply to a very small percentage of the player base. It is indeed a growing percentage of the population, but still low in terms of total numbers.

Also, unless it's spoken outside of the game (discord, twitch, etc.), all communication is recorded, so people choosing to "behave" just because they're now on some form of recorded stream, just tells me they need the feeling of anonymity to behave like they want.

If the argument becomes "Don't stream the siege/guild convo, etc. because you'll give away tactics", then I'd argue that's on the streamer, and not everyone else to be cognizant.
    tK6oEvp.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I dunno.
    Somehow social media flags on characters seems to break RP and immersion.
    I don't really want ads for real world stuff popping up in the game.
  • GaluxGalux Member
    I wouldn't want a symbol indicating that the person is streaming right now. But as for player inspection i wouldn't mind a tab section where you can see information about misc stuffs like that. Same would go for guild info.

As long as the information isn't in your face the first thing you see when you inspect a player/guild.
    8DGfGVF.png
  • FerniFerni Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm not sure if it's good to have an icon showing if someone is streaming or recording since some people like to trolling and it will be a problem. I think most streamers wouldn't use it.

Also, personally I would prefer don't have stuff like that in the interface.
    Sechari wrote: »
    Then as I was thinking this through, it occurred to me MMOs are all about building communities. Could the guild panel show website, Discord, guild-specific podcast links, etc.? Could I as a player supply my social media, Twitch, Twitter etc. (if I care to) and have it show up on some /inspect profile when friends want to look me up?

There will be a character sheet that will show some information about the player, maybe you will be able to add social media links in there. Info from the wiki: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Roleplaying#Character_sheet

Guild leaders will have different tools to manage their guild so probably you will have some kind of singboard when you open the guild tab where you will be able add that kind of information too. Info from the wiki: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Guilds#Leadership_tools
  • MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sechari wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has brought this up before, but I thought I'd throw an idea that just occurred to me into the mix and see what comes of it.

I do quite a bit of YouTube content creation and Twitch streaming. I was thinking it might be nice in this game to have a feature I can toggle on at any time that shows an icon somewhere above my character's head to let folks around me know that I am livestreaming or recording. Just as a courtesy. The examples of where this might be useful abound: As a guild leader in times past, for instance, some folks would be hesitant to discuss things with me if they knew I was streaming (which was wise). They'd have to ask every time and I'd have to jump off if I was. Some folks would also behave better, I'm guessing, simply knowing there was a live record being created by someone around them -and again, they probably deserve the courtesy of knowing what they are saying and doing is being livestreamed/recorded by someone.

Thoughts?

You could do many of us do and just have TTV in your name somewhere. Hell I made an entire guild called FollowMeOnTwitch so people should be very aware that I'm a streamer
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    DOn't think an ingame way to say "hey i am streaming/preparing youtube video" is needed...
    Even worse if automatic (with obs, or any other program needed to do one or the other)...

There will be a little description area people will be able to see if you inspect them..
    i think more than enough. let streamers/youtuber advertise.

There is other way to help content creators (like, the content creator program which already exist) than a tag that also says "attack me please" for lot of dumb people...
  • MoxysMoxys Member
    Maezriel wrote: »
    You could do many of us do and just have TTV in your name somewhere. Hell I made an entire guild called FollowMeOnTwitch so people should be very aware that I'm a streamer

Wow. Talk about immersion killing. I know not everyone cares about RP, but really this would bother me.

Moxys wrote: »

Wow. Talk about immersion killing. I know not everyone cares about RP, but really this would bother me.

I mean I've covered roleplayers fairly extensively in my videos so I absolutely care about RP, but what's hovering above my head shouldn't be what sets your immersion.

It's an MMO and you're gonna run into xXpwnsmasherXx it's just inevitable. Whereas there's definitely limits to how crude someone should be able to be when naming their characters, at the end of the day the gamertag really shouldn't matter
    ZeFuP1X.png
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I've run into too many Gimlis and Luke Skywalkers in MMORPGs to allow stupid names to bug me.

Hhak63P.png
    Atama wrote: »
    I've run into too many Gimlis and Luke Skywalkers in MMORPGs to allow stupid names to bug me.

What you don't like seeing all the secondhand Maximus and Leonidas' running around?
    ZeFuP1X.png
    I mean I've covered roleplayers fairly extensively in my videos so I absolutely care about RP, but what's hovering above my head shouldn't be what sets your immersion.
    What's hovering over your head can break my immersion.
    Especially if that whatever references the real world rather than the fantasy world.
    Dygz wrote: »
    What's hovering over your head can break my immersion.
    Especially if that whatever references the real world rather than the fantasy world.

Sure, but the other half of that comment was me pointing out that you know full well going into an MMO (one w/o dedicated RP servers at that) that you're gonna get un-immersive names. Your ability able to shrug that off or not isn't really something I have any say on...nor is it something that I really need to take into consideration when making my character.

I love roleplaying, I love me an immersive game, and I'm very active in Ashes' RP community...but I understand that there's limits to the game's immersiveness and IMO what's hovering above my head should rank pretty low on list of priorities...especially if all you're doing is dropping TTV or ignoring a guildname
    ZeFuP1X.png
  • ItsFayneItsFayne Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So honestly, I think this entire thread comes from a disingenuous place. The "CC" tag on someone's nameplate doesn't provide value for others overall. Its just another way to marketing yourself, and shouldn't have any place in the game.
    7l7hsjx.png
    Sure, but the other half of that comment was me pointing out that you know full well going into an MMO (one w/o dedicated RP servers at that) that you're gonna get un-immersive names. Your ability able to shrug that off or not isn't really something I have any say on...nor is it something that I really need to take into consideration when making my character.
    If there was an easy way for the devs to prevent that I would prefer that as well.
  • MoxysMoxys Member
    If there was an easy way for the devs to prevent that I would prefer that as well.

I'm with Dygz. I would love to see a name filter. Watching my friend play this weekend, I saw someone name PotatoChip. It has no place in a fantasy based MMO. Everquest managed to have a name filter, but it's the last game that I know of with a strict filter.

I'm with Dygz. I would love to see a name filter. Watching my friend play this weekend, I saw someone name PotatoChip. It has no place in a fantasy based MMO. Everquest managed to have a name filter, but it's the last game that I know of with a strict filter.

LOTRO tried that and they scrapped it b/c it essentially comes down to humans reading every single name.

On top of that just b/c you guys want an immersive experience doesn't mean everyone does...Roleplayers shouldn't be trolled just for having fun in the game but at the same time you shouldn't try to fit others into a mold they don't want to be in.

Although if anyone here wants to discuss it w/ other roleplayers you're welcome to join the over 300 members right here
    ZeFuP1X.png
    Um. It's a roleplaying game.
  • MoxysMoxys Member
    LOTRO tried that and they scrapped it b/c it essentially comes down to humans reading every single name.

On top of that just b/c you guys want an immersive experience doesn't mean everyone does...Roleplayers shouldn't be trolled just for having fun in the game but at the same time you shouldn't try to fit others into a mold they don't want to be in.

Although if anyone here wants to discuss it w/ other roleplayers you're welcome to join the over 300 members right here

I agree that there will be those who care about immersion and those that don't. Given this, shouldn't the devs choose the side that actually cares? The ones who care will have their game marred if even slightly by seeing names like "PotatoChip" and similar.

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    On top of that just b/c you guys want an immersive experience doesn't mean everyone does...
    Frankly that is ridiculous. Immersion shouldn't trump gameplay, but to say that gamers don't want immersion is borderline insane. If you don't want immersion then you have the wrong hobby.
    Um. It's a roleplaying game.

Exactly. That's a core tenet of the genre, from tabletop to live action to computer.

Hhak63P.png
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021

I agree that there will be those who care about immersion and those that don't. Given this, shouldn't the devs choose the side that actually cares? The ones who care will have their game marred if even slightly by seeing names like "PotatoChip" and similar.

No.
    Why should the majority be held captive to the emotional whims of the majority?
    They should err on the side of liberty with some obvious exceptions.

On the main topic. I am all against anything in game that connects the players to the outside world. No real ID crap like Blizzard has. No putting your Email to twitch tag next to players names like some games do. Any that do this kind of stuff and get stream snipped I have ZERO compassion for(you asked for it).

Espionage being a thing in the game also make this kind of thing useless.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Alts
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
    edited July 2021
    ZeFuP1X.png
  • MerekMerek Member
    Sounds like an easier way to get yourself trolled/ganked, honestly. And I don't find the idea of a huge icon above "NerdKillaz" head telling me he's streaming very immersive. Sorry, but the game isn't here to advertise for you.