Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Mount Buttons

Menda GoodbodyMenda Goodbody Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
edited July 2021 in General Discussion
IMHO, you have way too many buttons for stuff. Mounts come to mind the most. You want to limit the mount sprint, fine, but don't have it a special button to sprint. It's way too clunky.

Guys, in general, please don't fix what is not broke. We only have so many easy access buttons in the game. Don't over complicate our controls.

As a side note, why is mount and dismount two seperate buttons. Come on, really?

Thank you! :)

Comments

• mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021
    Are you saying there should be no mount abilities?

I disagree, especially if the reason is there are too many things to bind. If we need to, they can overlap your normal skills.
  • Menda GoodbodyMenda Goodbody Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited July 2021

Sprint is not a mount ability. Hitting shift just means you want to go faster. Why have a separate button for the mount?
    edited July 2021
    I disagree, especially if the reason is there are too many things to bind. If we need to, they can overlap your normal skills.

From what I am reading you agree 100% with me.

I am saying to overlap so they are the same buttons, like shift for sprint.

• mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2021

Sprint is not a mount ability. Hitting shift just means you want to go faster. Why have a separate button for the mount?

Yes, it's an ability. Activating it gives you a temporary speed buff. It's using the mount ability system, it's why there are slots for 4 abilities.

Yes, it's an ability. It's using the mount ability system, it's why there are slots for 4 abilities.

Ok, I think we are splitting hairs. When you sprint on foot, you hit shift to go faster.

When you want to go faster on a horse, just let us hit sprint.

Yes, it's an ability. It's using the mount ability system, it's why there are slots for 4 abilities.

Ok, I think we are splitting hairs. When you sprint on foot, you hit shift to go faster.

Sprinting on foot and using the mounts sprint ability is different. The mount's sprint ability is probably place holder but even if it's not, there is a decent chance that not every mount will have it.

Sprinting on foot and using the mounts sprint ability is different. The mount's sprint ability is probably place holder but even if it's not, there is a decent chance that not every mount will have it.

I honestly have no clue what your point is.

Have you played a game where a class has an ability that increases there movement speed, i.e. rogue's sprint from wow. You know how it's an ability that not ever class has? Same thing with mounts in ashes, not every mount will have every ability.

Unless i'm miss understanding you, in wow, you don't think rogues should have a button to use sprint.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

The point is that once the mount system is fully implemented, mount sprint will function differently. Some mounts may not even be able to sprint, but may have another ability in it's place.

As such, since mounts are likely to be limited to a maximum of 4 abilities and mount sprint is one of those four, it is appropriate to put sprint for mounts in a mount ability slot.

This mount system is pulled directly from Archeage at this point, so it isn't as if it doesn't have almost a decade of being proven to work for most players.

Allowing players to map mount buttons over top of player abilities that are not able to be used while on a mount seems to me to be the best solution, for those unable to easily access the full keyboard.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Menda Goodbody
    Right now, Mount Sprint is basically a mount ability that the devs are testing.
    It's just an easy ability to apply to the mount instead of whatever other mount abilities they plan to add in the future.
    It is probably mostly placeholder. By Launch, it may be that Sprint for both our character and our mount use the same key.

I don't know how one button can be considered way too many buttons for stuff, though.
  • ItsFayneItsFayne Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

From what I am reading you agree 100% with me.

I am saying to overlap so they are the same buttons, like shift for sprint.

You realize this is not only an early alpha, but also that keys will be rebindable?
    7l7hsjx.png
    ItsFayne!!! :o
  • DreohDreoh Member

FF14 would like to have a word with you
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would personally prefer if mounts just didn't have an additional sprint ability and focused more on utility/attacks or whatever else they plan on implementing. Mounts having a specific speed will be fine. I mean honestly, it's already a massive speed increase so what are you losing by not having that extra sprint.....having to micro manage your sprints and getting away in a pinch...only for the enemy to use sprint as well. You would be on the same playing field if mounts had set speeds and you used your movement and the terrain to get away or chase.

Also, not being able to use an ability while mounted so that the ability automatically dismounts you is an issue and I hope they address this asap.

I hate to say it but wow's mount speed system was simple and effective (from what I remember when I played). 60% increase on basic mounts and 100% increase after that. This would tie in very easily in AoC. 60% run speed for basic and for water mounts. 100% for advanced mounts and the same exact thing could apply for water mounts but opposite.

Dismounted sprint feels clunky currently but I feel it has a place in the game.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Khronus wrote: »
    I would personally prefer if mounts just didn't have an additional sprint ability and focused more on utility/attacks or whatever else they plan on implementing.

I'm all for mounts having sprint abilities.

What I am hoping for is that the game will have differing sprint type abilities for mounts - from very fast but short duration, to a but faster than regular mount speed, but for a longer duration, and a few in between. I also hope that some mounts can have more than one sprint ability.

While I was playing Archeage, the mount that had the fastest base speed qasnt actually the fastest mount you could get. There was another mount that had better sprint abilities, and if you used them correctly (one used a consumable item, iirc) you would go slightly faster over any specific amount of time than the mount with the fastest base speed.

To me, this makes the game more interesting. It means you need to actually factor in more than one variable to know what was best.

Combine that with animal husbandry and I think you have something that could be far more interesting than if mounts didn't have sprint abilities.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The thread got me thinking.

I like the sprint button. I also really like the idea of having different mounts that are groomed to be able to do different things.

Maybe you have a mount that has a high base speed and short sprint duration. Maybe you have another mount that is the opposite.

One would be good for long range travel and the other would be good for quick pursuits like catching up to people in PvP.

Of course, none of this would be cool or interesting if you had access to all of your mounts at once. Which if you had to go back to town to swap your current mount, I am sure the carebares would riot in the streets. Still, I think it would be a cool system.

TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    To the spirit of the OP's point, I'm a fan of how W3 and RDR2 (and I'm sure there are some MMOs in there too) implemented mount sprinting with a limited stam bar using the same bind as the on-foot sprint. Pretty intuitive, and something that can be min/maxed with breeding / mount equipment. I'll take this system over the WoW system where there's a specific ability called "Sprint" or "Dash." It's not horrible, just dated.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • edited July 2021
    I don't agree with sprint being an ability. In ESO you train your mount to go faster, to have more stamina to run for longer sprints by paying a trainer 30 gold/day. It takes 60 days to cap your mounts sprint stamina. A button is not needed. There's simply no point for it. Period.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
    edited July 2021
    Ashes is not ESO.
    We need to know what abilities Mounts will have in Ashes.
    With Animal Husbandry, we can expect some Mounts to be faster than others and we can expect that some Mounts might have a Sprint ability while some Mounts don't.
    In Alpha One, we only have one Mount Skill to test and that is Sprint.

It's more likely that we will be putting points into Mount Skills rather than training them.
  • DreohDreoh Member
    edited July 2021
    Mounts with different abilities isn't anything new, if you need an example of a successful mount system with varied abilities, GW2 has that handled for you.

The only thing you'd need to add to GW2 is a mount with a stamina bar for sprints, though the roller beetle kind of accomplishes that lol

https://youtu.be/0zoDp6rK9V0?t=61
  • having a mount quickbar slot instead of using up slot 9 & 0 would be nice :smiley: