Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Will you be able to change your subclass as much as you like?

Argo257Argo257 Member
edited August 2021 in Support & FAQ
Hello @ everyone,

one of the most important things in an mmo for me are the classes.
And since Ashes of Creation has 8 classes with 8 subclasses we get a total of 64 combinations.
My question is if i for example pick a summoner as my main class and a bard as my subclass will i be able to change my subclass or am i locked after my decision?
Since i don´t know if i will be happy with my subclass choice and maybe some combinations will be more useful/stronger than others.

Comments

• KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    mark: 51:50
    I think.
  • The way its worded is there really is only 8 archetypes with hybridisation options for augments which they call "classes".

These secondary archetypes are used to augment your primary subclass via skills tree's and you will be able to respect/switch out your augments.

How one will be able to change them or respec isn't necessarily clear.

In short, 8 primary classes which the player will select one from with 8 augment tree's that can be changed to call yourself a different class.
  • it might be something like you can only change your augments out from a node or even a personal free hold.
    edited August 2021
    I think it's likely we will be able to switch our augments outside of combat and we won't have to be at a Node or Freehold.
    The way its worded is there really is only 8 archetypes with hybridisation options for augments which they call "classes".

These secondary archetypes are used to augment your primary subclass via skills tree's and you will be able to respect/switch out your augments.

In short, 8 primary classes which the player will select one from with 8 augment tree's that can be changed to call yourself a different class.
    Um.
    "These secondary archetypes are used to augment your primary archetype via augment schools and you will be able to respec/switch out your augments."
    There. I fixed it for you.

Also:
    "In short, 8 primary classes which the player will select one from with 8 secondary classes (each with 4 augment schools) that can be changed to call yourself a different subclass."

• The answer the exact way you worded the question. No.

You will be able to change them, but it will be costly to do so. However, it won't be so often that you can just decide on a whim.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • I think I heard Steven mention they are considering a currency cost as well as a time cost. Like pay 1000 gold and complete a long quest chain. I would like to see some sort of reputation loss with the previous archetype you drop for the new archetype too, it would add a bit of world building to the choices you make.
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    "The secondary archetype of a class may be changed, but not "on-the-fly".[1][3]

Players will likely need to speak to a NPC in a Village node or above to enable them to change their secondary archetype and skill augments.[4]
    This may be done through a quest system.[5][6]
    There probably will be a cooldown associated with switching secondary archetype.[5]
    It may also be possible to swap between multiple specs after the cooldown period.[5]
    The secondary class choice, which comes after some time getting used to the world of Verra, will be more fluid. If you choose the Fighter and the Rogue to make a Shadowblade, but eventually want to try your hand at Summoning to make a Bladecaller, you’ll be able to do so.[2]

We don't want you to be able to change your secondary class or the augments you have applied out in the open. We want you to have to make a conscious choice somewhere at a NPC. The level of node necessary for that particular NPC to be available will likely be either at the Village stage or above. So, if you are far out in the wilderness exploring – and we have no instant teleportation in the world – you need to be conscientious of what your choices are; and not be able to change them on-the-fly.[4] – Steven Sharif"
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Switching_archetypes
  • edited August 2021
    Dygz wrote: »
    The way its worded is there really is only 8 archetypes with hybridisation options for augments which they call "classes".

Um.
    "These secondary archetypes are used to augment your primary archetype via augment schools and you will be able to respec/switch out your augments."
    There. I fixed it for you.

Also:
    "In short, 8 primary classes which the player will select one from with 8 secondary classes (each with 4 augment schools) that can be changed to call yourself a different subclass."

I was going off his explanation in the video unless he tripped up a bit but it is possible I misunderstood.

so it's 1 of 8 primary, then 1 of 8 secondary then 1 o f 4 tertiary augments? with the option to exactly change what? the secondary which would allow you to change the 1 of 4 or just the tertiary? both?
  • edited August 2021
    @Dygz it's around 54:40 to 58:00

You can change you secondary but it will be a bit of "work". You will also be able re-allocate skill points to play around with your primary archetype.

3 specific skill tree's for your class "passive, active, weapons" (skills points per level up)

Primary - permanent with point allocation respec
    Secondary - can change but not easily
    tertiary - offers 4 schools of augmentation per archetype synergises with other classes

So based of the wiki with augments in association with alpha 1

skills points to spend per level but also have augment options based around:

Class, race, religion and social

edited August 2021
    I'm basically just making your terms consistent.

Primary Archetype + Secondary Archetype = Class
    If you were using D&D terms, it would be Primary Class + Secondary Class = Subclass

So, yes, you can change the Secondary Archetype of a Class, but it will be a bit of work.
    You can re-allocate skill points for your Primary Archetype. Yes.

Adventurers have Passive Skills | Active Skills | Weapon Skills
    Any Archetype can use any weapon, so...Weapon Skills will not be dependent on Archetype.
    Primary Archetype does determine available Passive Skills and Active Skills. Yes.

Each Secondary Archetype has 4 Augment Schools.
    I would not muddy the concept by introducing the term tertiary.

And, yes, there are augments available from Secondary Archetype, Race, Religion, Social Org, Node and Naval.
  • edited August 2021
    Dygz wrote: »
    I'm basically just making your terms consistent.

Primary Archetype + Secondary Archetype = Class
    If you were using D&D terms, it would be Primary Class + Secondary Class = Subclass

So, yes, you can change the Secondary Archetype of a Class, but it will be a bit of work.
    You can re-allocate skill points for your Primary Archetype. Yes.

Adventurers have Passive Skills | Active Skills | Weapon Skills
    Any Archetype can use any weapon, so...Weapon Skills will not be dependent on Archetype.
    Primary Archetype does determine available Passive Skills and Active Skills. Yes.

Each Secondary Archetype has 4 Augment Schools.
    I would not muddy the concept by introducing the term tertiary.

And, yes, there are augments available from Secondary Archetype, Race, Religion, Social Org, Node and Naval.

works for me and hopefully others :)

I'm impartial to being partial with the tertiary. :P
  • Hi there friend - looks like folks already got you some helpful answers above! While you won't be able to change your primary archetype at all, previously we've shared that you will be able to change your secondary archetype with some level of effort.

I've moved this thread on over to our Support & FAQ section and closed it out - but please don't hesitate to reach back out if there's anything else we can help answer in the meantime!
    community_management.gif
This discussion has been closed.