Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Unique AoC language/s to generate new content

MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
edited May 2022 in General Discussion
Having the possibility of using a unique AoC language to have a more advanced content that opens the possibility of several new contents, such as:

- Understanding some parts of the Lore.
- Unlock some content / special missions.
- Being able to communicate with some NPCs to understand their story / mission.
- To be able to understand the maps.
- To be able to understand certain animals / flora fauna / archeology / etc.
- To be able to understand, study certain techniques of professions, skills, mapping, utilities, creations, alchemy, etc.
- Etc.

That would be something amazing , that would help the immersion, atmosphere, story and future content for AoC.

It should not have any translation in any language, other than the one discovered in AoC so that way people interested in knowing more of that language would have to research more about it. The only ones who would have the translation would be the developers and they would little by little to generate more content would give hints, puzzles or quests to discover content that can help to discover the new language.

Of course, it would be optional content for those who wish to delve deeper into the story, quests, discoveries, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTql5gYv-Ow&t=8s
EDym4eg.png

Comments

• No one has ever dared utter that speech in these boards. 🧙‍♂️
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Lotr author spend a lifetime on this. All gaming attempts to immerse with a language made me cringe, except for the witcher. Without voice acting as well we should give this a pass.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2021
    Developing a unique language is a little bit out of the scope for this game.

The various languages found in Tolkien works (as an example) were his actual life's work - the books he wrote were simply a vehicle to make use of them.

What is within the scope of the game though, is developing specific fonts for different languages. That way, rather than needing to develop an entire new language, the devs can just type something out, alter the font of it to what ever they want it to be, and place that in game somewhere.

That gives the same function in terms of lore and immersion, but with a fraction (less than 1%) of the work.
  • CROW3 wrote: »
    No one has ever dared utter that speech in these boards. 🧙‍♂️

I do not ask your pardon, Master Elrond...
    EDym4eg.png
  • Reminds me of the dragon runes from Skyrim.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Don't we already have that in Ashes with runes?
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »

iirc they're Nordic Wiccan that translates more or less directly to english
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    maouw wrote: »

Does that make Steven a SandalWitch?
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
    JustVine wrote: »

Does that make Steven a SandalWitch?

Like this?

1573551678_weird-shoes12_4.jpg
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have been defeeted
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • JustVine wrote: »
    I have been defeeted
    You mean Sandalfeeted🤣
    EDym4eg.png

Right. Which is pretty much what we should expect for a Verra language.

Sure. And I think it's the closest to what OP is going to get, but they did request that: "It should not have any translation in any language" so I think they were hoping for something more hardcore.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2021

Sure. And I think it's the closest to what OP is going to get, but they did request that: "It should not have any translation in any language" so I think they were hoping for something more hardcore.

The problem here is that if they make a 'real language' that isn't gibberish, any linguist will decode it within weeks. Now, that might be really really fun to do, and involve incredible easter eggs and traveling all around Verra and some immersion (which would be great), but any 'real' language of this type is just the sort of thing a linguist plays with for fun.

Reading it natively or speaking it might be hard, but 'putting it into a parser and getting the translation back out' would happen so quickly that it was irrelevant.

The best you could do is a no-vowel Verb-Object-Subject internal syntax language with weird referentials that we don't use in English or other Latin languages, but that's just 'some layers of obfuscation of symbology'. Closer to a cryptographic cipher applied directly to 'meaning itself' than a 'language'.

Overall what I'm saying is, you either get a deep mystery or a flavor-addition to scripted text, but hitting the middle ground in an MMO is more effort than it's worth.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

They don't have the resources for that. And... it's not worth the time and money.
  • MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited September 2021
    For that very reason :)

I know very well that at the beginning the resources/money/time are limited and it must be used efficiently to carry out the beginning of AoC in a good way.

But then, when everything is giving positive results, They have to have a range of ideas/suggestions/ feelbacks to improve the content.

I hope to be helping with the ideas/suggestions that I give, although they are not the best I try to help in what I can to see AoC improve.

EDym4eg.png
  • Azherae wrote: »

The problem here is that if they make a 'real language' that isn't gibberish, any linguist will decode it within weeks. Now, that might be really really fun to do, and involve incredible easter eggs and traveling all around Verra and some immersion (which would be great), but any 'real' language of this type is just the sort of thing a linguist plays with for fun.

Reading it natively or speaking it might be hard, but 'putting it into a parser and getting the translation back out' would happen so quickly that it was irrelevant.

The best you could do is a no-vowel Verb-Object-Subject internal syntax language with weird referentials that we don't use in English or other Latin languages, but that's just 'some layers of obfuscation of symbology'. Closer to a cryptographic cipher applied directly to 'meaning itself' than a 'language'.

Overall what I'm saying is, you either get a deep mystery or a flavor-addition to scripted text, but hitting the middle ground in an MMO is more effort than it's worth.

To a large extent I agree with you, in fact the idea that I raise is very utopian since I understand the time / investment that they should dedicate to achieve that.

My suggestion goes more in the sense that the developers create content where they gradually release phrases / sentences / paragraphs of a unique language in AoC and that content already stipulated as "unique ancient language of AoC" generates the content that I mention previously and others.

I think that in this way they should not create a whole language, but focus for seasons / expansions / months on releasing certain information for that special content
    EDym4eg.png
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Elviajero wrote: »
    Azherae wrote: »

To a large extent I agree with you, in fact the idea that I raise is very utopian since I understand the time / investment that they should dedicate to achieve that.

My suggestion goes more in the sense that the developers create content where they gradually release phrases / sentences / paragraphs of a unique language in AoC and that content already stipulated as "unique ancient language of AoC" generates the content that I mention previously and others.

I think that in this way they should not create a whole language, but focus for seasons / expansions / months on releasing certain information for that special content

I feel that's reasonable. One can 'make up a language' piece by piece over time easily, and it'd be interesting in its own ways and add some stuff. I thought you meant 'cohesive' like 'enough of one to put cryptic script on stone tablets out in the world at launch', which is... harder.

I have something that would work a lot like a 'random language generator', but that was why I had that response. I'm too aware of how they're generated, and therefore aware of how you'd reverse engineer them with a symbologic parser.

I think I'd like 'snippets of Ancient Verran language' in expansions though.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Your idea is very neat OP! I know next to nothing about what it would take to put it into the game (though I imagine it would be quite a bit of work and take quite a lot of time) but languages in other RPGs and MMOs has always been very interesting to me as well :)
    community_management.gif