Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Racial Dances

when it comes to in-game emotes, will dances be shared across all races or will each race have its own unique cultural dance? What all do you folks wish to see? I personally will play any race that is given the backpack kid dance hehe

Comments

• From what I saw in the streamings those social aspects will not be bound on classes so I'm assuming races will not have this limitation too.

It would be nice if all races can have the same dances but each specific race gets its own "traditional" dance. Even being able to unlock new dance emotes by completing certain quests would be good too, something like "a job in the tavern" where the pg "learns" a new dance that has to be played inside the tavern as a job.
  • @nirablade that's a sweet idea, I hope that's how the devs see it as well
  • As for cultural dances, if they exist they could make it unique to the race at the beginning but let others learn them through reputation quests or something. Even from a social aspect it wouldn't be weird since different cultures have different expressions but nobody would stop you from delving into another culture to learn something.
  • I think the "problem" tends to be with the dance that's chosen to represent the race.
    It's fairly common for that choice to be a bit racist from a real world perspective.

But, since Ashes has a Social progression path... I would like to see a few dances that can be unlocked/acquired for each race... and each node type.
    And then some diplomacy tasks and events that require a specific dance be used in order to have the most favorable outcome.

I hope the same will be true for emotes that equate to secret handshakes for Thieves Guilds, Scholars Academies, Temples, Trade Companies, etc.
  • @Dygz I adore the idea of nodes having their own unique dance to learn. Even other emotes to be available from different nodes. We as a community have created these nodes through working together and it doesn't matter what race we belong to because we are all working as a team in the new world ^^ Nodes are our collective society so would be just lovely having our own new dance ^^
  • Right. We should all be able to gain the racial dance emotes if we learn it via the social progression of the associated race - as part of diplomacy.
  • It depends how different the animation skeleton are for each race. If they all use the same skeleton then it's easy to share dances between races, see ESO for that. all races share the same animation skeleton and can use all the same dance without any clipping issues or extra time needed to create dances for each race.
    Now on the opposite, see WoW, every Race has their unique animation skeleton and it would need a longer time to share animations to prevent clipping and stretching.

We know we have Dwarves, and they can't use the same animation skeleton for Dwarves they would use for Elves/Humans/Orcs
    And soon we know if the underrealm race needs it's own animation skeleton
  • @dygz liking that "node unique dance" too ^^ also because players from different guilds will have something more in common, it will feel like that you're part of something with the others even when you play as a solo player :D
  • The more dancing options the better.

Not only for dances for all emotes. This is one of cornerstones for a quality social life in MMO.
  • Madnacc said:"
    As for cultural dances, if they exist they could make it unique to the race at the beginning but let others learn them through reputation quests or something. Even from a social aspect it wouldn't be weird since different cultures have different expressions but nobody would stop you from delving into another culture to learn something."

I love the idea of each race having their own dance and that dances can be learned is great.  I would love it, if you could learn new dances from someone like the old EQ learning languages where you spammed each other with words from you own language for others to learn and they did it to you.  Just make it with dance-offs toward each other to learn the new steps.

• I love the idea of racial dances and that you could learn new dances from other races.  I would like it to be like the old EQ when you learned new languages by spamming other characters with words from your language and they could do the same to you at the same time.  It could be made where you could have dance-offs with other races and thereby you could both learn new steps; or just have someone dance for you and you will learn.