Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Guild Gathering #8 - App Integrations

Comments

• mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    • Guild/family chat, calendar, and notifications.
    • Node chat and notifications.
    • Ability to see what i have in my banks in different nodes.
    • Stock information for my vendors. Maybe set up notifications when some items hit a threshold.
    • View my characters' stat, progression, and equipment.
    • A character builder to play with class, skill, and augment combinations.
  • BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited September 2021
    Vaknar wrote: »
    If you had a phone app that integrated with your guild, what sorts of things would you want from it or be useful?

I don't think I need anything other than Discord to integrate with my guild.

I would rather have a variety of APIs available to develop cool applications for Discord and maybe develop some add-ons (if allowed by Intrepid).
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    Vaknar wrote: »
    If you had a phone app that integrated with your guild, what sorts of things would you want from it or be useful?

I don't think I need anything other than Discord to integrate with my guild.

I would rather have a variety of APIs available to develop cool applications for Discord and maybe develop some add-ons (if allowed by Intrepid).

I certainly wouldn't mind some discord integration, but I would hate to be dependent on it instead of the stand-alone app. Discord can ban users which would screw over Ashes players, and I certainly don't trust them with any sensitive data (no one should). Also, if for some reason they have to shut down or get sold off to some sketchy company it could be a real issue.

So sure, give us some discord integration, but on top of the app, not instead of IMO. :smile:
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2021
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Idk why people are saying they want to chat when discord is free
    @Caeryl

With Discord the way it is now (losing millions - because it's free, looking to sell or list), it probably isn't wise for a game like Ashes to build features around the notion that everyone will just use Discord.
  • Well for a phone app. Mostly for notifications. I could message friends in game see what the most recent news about the game is. Profiles would be cool too making it customizable having all the titles you acquire in game to be on there.
  • Would anyone else think some sort of mini game like the gambling tavern games be cool from your phone?
    Or doing small things with your freehold, like a Farmville crops thing.
  • Would anyone else think some sort of mini game like the gambling tavern games be cool from your phone?

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Companion_app

Yep! They've lots of cool ideas already!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    Would anyone else think some sort of mini game like the gambling tavern games be cool from your phone?

I was asking because everyone has just said chatting mostly. And one person even said specifically not this stuff... Was kinda surprised no one was mentioning more of these type of things
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    Would anyone else think some sort of mini game like the gambling tavern games be cool from your phone?

I was asking because everyone has just said chatting mostly. And one person even said specifically not this stuff... Was kinda surprised no one was mentioning more of these type of things

I think it's cos they were specifically asking about how it would integrate with your guild, and most of those extras are just for the individual player.
  • I was thinking about something more along the lines of the wow mission tables thing... but you know... not suck.

It would also be cool to see stuff from message boards on your nodes Town Hall.
    Maybe the trade or defense chat for the node you are a citizen of.
    If the mayor posts a poll for what town function should we build next, being able to cast your vote from your phone.

It would be cool to have things relating to your freehold like I mentioned. Although I think some of my ideas for these some people would take issue with.

• AsraielAsraiel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    jep notifications or guild chat but also alerts for the node of your citizenship so the player gets informed that there will be a siege. have more than only guild stuff would be nice
    like also maybe some stuff that show new quests displayed withing the home nodes adventurer or thiefes guild. siege notifications special things happening like 1. dungeon defeat (to flexing a bit) fastest dungeon defeat. special zone basest time limited events (like suddenly the swamp has increased slime spawn for 12h)

haveing informations but dont overflow it a part of the game should still be the gathering of informations within the game. but home node stuff notifications, guild notifications, freehold notifications, maybe also warehouse notifications (caravan has arrived), npc guild notifications, time limited event notifications (maybe traked with caracter poistion of the main character, so even if logged out the game knows where you are and if it has a event close by it sends a notification) however that only if such events will be part of the game.
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2021

If farming can be done from phone I'm out. If you make it simplistic and unimmersive farming will be terrible. If farming can be done that safely in a freehold that a phone app can replace the experience, it will be either so broken economically the economy will be wonky in a bad way or farming won't be economically viable because its so cheap and easy to maintain compared to other crafts. Farming should be a dedicated craft.

(I know you were just having whimsical ideas so don't take my reaction personally, I know you don't mean much by it.)

Edit: Oh wow never saw the companion app page. Hopefully they reconsider their position on the farming aspect. If not, they should make all crafts available on app. If they are going to trivialize one craft why not them all.
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • JustVine wrote: »

If farming can be done from phone I'm out. If you make it simplistic and unimmersive farming will be terrible. If farming can be done that safely in a freehold that a phone app can replace the experience, it will be either so broken economically the economy will be wonky in a bad way or farming won't be economically viable because its so cheap and easy to maintain compared to other crafts. Farming should be a dedicated craft.

(I know you were just having whimsical ideas so don't take my reaction personally, I know you don't mean much by it.)

I'm not saying make something like egg inc where you just poke the screen a lot and you get herbs.
    I mean like the original old school Farmville. Your crops still take 8 hours from planting to grow. But if you're out from home you can still log into your freehold on your phone and collect it.

My idea doesn't even have to be applied to farming, honestly I think you're right it would mess with the economy for that profession similarly to the way the garrisons did back in WoD.

Maybe mini games like a racing game with your mounts? And does something to help your mount grow somehow.

I feel like the argument against things like this is they don't want people to actually make in game progress or materials. But if you can log in and play The tavern games which potentially have gambling associated with them you could make a lot of gold just by playing The tavern games on your phone all day...
    JustVine wrote: »

I'm not saying make something like egg inc where you just poke the screen a lot and you get herbs.
    I mean like the original old school Farmville. Your crops still take 8 hours from planting to grow. But if you're out from home you can still log into your freehold on your phone and collect it.

My idea doesn't even have to be applied to farming, honestly I think you're right it would mess with the economy for that profession similarly to the way the garrisons did back in WoD.

Maybe mini games like a racing game with your mounts? And does something to help your mount grow somehow.

I feel like the argument against things like this is they don't want people to actually make in game progress or materials. But if you can log in and play The tavern games which potentially have gambling associated with them you could make a lot of gold just by playing The tavern games on your phone all day...

Yeah I get you. I think tavern apps on phone shouldn't earn money. I'd be ok with managing a shop front on app but that's basically it for money making.

But hey if IS really wants farming on app let's get you that mount training tomagachi. Let's get a fishing game for your aquaculture pond. Let's get some alchemy and cooking mini games, maybe a stitching simulator. Oh and let's have a blacksmith ryrhm game in app too. Every craft should get this extra 'attention' and 'reward' for surfing on your phone risk free.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Yeah I get you. I think tavern apps on phone shouldn't earn money. I'd be ok with managing a shop front on app but that's basically it for money making.

But hey if IS really wants farming on app let's get you that mount training tomagachi. Let's get a fishing game for your aquaculture pond. Let's get some alchemy and cooking mini games, maybe a stitching simulator. Oh and let's have a blacksmith ryrhm game in app too. Every craft should get this extra 'attention' and 'reward' for surfing on your phone risk free.

I could actually see this being a thing haha
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • JustVine wrote: »

See
    I was thinking stuff like that
    But didn't want to scare people... Lol
    But yeah, to keep it balanced it would have to have someone across multiple professions...

Maybe a little tower defense game where you fight off smaller monsters attacking your freehold...
    edited September 2021

See
    I was thinking stuff like that
    But didn't want to scare people... Lol
    But yeah, to keep it balanced it would have to have someone across multiple professions...

Maybe a little tower defense game where you fight off smaller monsters attacking your freehold...

Sure, sure. Tower defense, sounds great. I love a good tower defense game. Let's even have a freehold v freehold minisiege for node citizens only where you can win some of your opponents stuff.

The darkest timeline, but hey , I do like competitive minigames. Silver lining.
  • I also feel like I must explicitly say that all of this should be secondary or even tertiary to actually completing the game in no way do I want the game delayed because some phone app integration features aren't ready yet. Some of these ideas are cool and some are convenient but by no means are any of them necessary.
  • An api so we can make discord bots.

BUT ALSO, a standard discord bot that guilds can use so we dont have to program/host our own bots.
  • ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As other have said, an API would be better than anything else. It opens the door to community interaction and the formation of sub communities.
  • AlcheMRAlcheMR Member
    edited September 2021
    For the most part, I guess guilds are using Discord, or bigger guilds moving over from Discord to Guilded. Both of them require API in order to have news and updates from Intrepid Studios / Ashes of Creation. As it is now, I recommend doing an API for third party softwares. This is also due to that most people/groups plays other games together, and create a community, not only a guild.

If you are going to skip the API and only look to creating a app for AoC, I would look use Guilded as an example of how to create an app, but make it more user friendly for mobile phones:

- Calendar (in order to plan for events)
    - Schedule planner (in order to state your availability to the guild)
    - Real-time game-to-app/app-to-game chat (for offline guild members to keep up)
    - Character information (easy access for guild members to check skills, gear and stats on other members)
    - Guild history log (a log that officers might write in so that the guild have something to look back on)
    - Resource and trade log (in order for officers to easily control flow and trading of resources and gear)
    - Researching/crafting update (as we don't know how researching and crafting is going to look, I can see that this might be time consumable. There should be an easy way of checking the progress while being afk/offline)
    - A tactical map of your guildmates (in-game! as we like to have control of our irl privacy unlike Steven).
    - ^That you could tap on your guildmates in the tactical map in order to see character and player information, and additionaly could make voice and text contact with them by pressing additional buttons.

There are probably a whole lot of other things I could think of, but this is what I could come up with now.

Best regards

<AlcheMR>
  • Nova OrdemNova Ordem Member, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A real time map on the app showing our location as well as custom options to show all guild members location for GM and officers,showing party location etc

Since AoC map will not be 100% unlocked, on the app we would only be able to see same as ingame, and maybe the GM can see parts of the map that his guild members are - similar to what Rust app does

All the information we can see through game menus should be in the app, settings, ranking leaderboards, friends, guild, inventory, server announcements, elections, boss timers etc
  • RavnoRavno Member
    edited September 2021
    - Kill on sight list
    - Ability for a guild member to put his crafting profile as public so you can check who can craft what.

• 1. Access to your "recipe book" What you currently could build (filters showing what you can build (with the material currently in your inventory)
    2. Your current inventory
    3. Your level progression in your artisan class
    4. The level progression of your node
    5. An interactive map which you can add notes to as to where you found specific gatherables or mobs, the map should be shareable with your guild/friends.

A lot of my thoughts revolve around when I am not playing, I want to be able to properly plan my next gaming session. This, for me personally, is centered around insuring I make it to Master Gatherer, thus my recommendations are Artisanship specific.
  • i didnt see this but i made a post about a mobile app idea.
    in the recent AoC Dev update video, steven mentioned the idea of a mobile app and immediately thought how useful the Rust+ mobile app was for that game. check it out here https://youtu.be/LcmxFhwBzBk
    the device tab from 3:40 onward is irrelevant to AoC, cause there are no electronics to remote control.

@1:50 it shows real time map tracking for you and your team/guild mates, not mentioned but it also notifies you when teammates die. this can help offline players keep track of what's going on in game. if say a guild pvp skirmish happens randomly in the world, players will get notifications of their teammates dying.
    which brings me to the next tab @ 3:15 in the video, where you can communicate with your team/guild. ask what happen, if mistakes were made in a dungeon or a skirmish broke out and your guild/affiliates requires reinforcements.

if alliances are a thing it can take a partition of the chat tab, only available to leaders and higher ranked guild mates. ...although that level of restriction(by default) can be customized by the leaders.

last but not least, replace the devices tab to be able to organize scheduled events, this would be neat, especially for more casual guilds who aren't as demanding as to remote activate your phone and randomly yell at you at the dinner table. (looking at you steven >.>) jokes lol.
    so as an example if you wanted to do a difficult dungeon and you have guild members who aren't online at consistent hours, you can have the guild leader/high ranked members schedule an event days in advance that all the members would see and have a more successful turn out. - there can be sub features to this tab, like being able to opt into the scheduled event and making the event available to alliances to opt in on. maybe be able apply restrictions. i.e. level or gear score restrictions.

this app as a whole can be useful and adds an incentive to establishing yourself as a guild rather then as a party of IRL friends partied up, or an individual craftsman. if you establish alliances as a guild of craftsmen between gatherers and hardcore pvp/pve guilds, you can more easily contact your preferred provider/buyer. or request reinforcements to accompany your caravan.
    or if you are part of a guild that's reached end game and you're in an alliance with a lower level guild, which is being blocked from pve raids by a rival guild, the lower level guild can request reinforcements in chat, which is linked to players who are offline via the mobile app. ...or the guild leader of the end game guild can have notifications of the lower lever guild being wiped 10 deaths at a time and inquire about what is happening and offer assistance. or use the mobile app map and show up to help unannounced.

these are just some ideas of how this app can be utilized and being able to stay engaged with the game while out about your day IRL will help bolster activity from the players. hell as a hardcore gamer i'd pay for an app like this.

• KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The biggest problem with making an app that leans into the social aspect of the game, is it's just another thing on my phone that's going to be giving me notifications that 9 out of 10 times, I don't give a shit about. Considering there already exists an app that does ALL the social aspects that a game app could (well there's several, but one more common than the rest), do we really need to make an entire new app?

If Ashes of Creation is going to go this route, why not just create a bot that people can then put into their guild Discords? Since Intrepid would be the one making it, it wouldn't be to hard to set it up to scrape the information needed for notifications in game. Then guilds could just invite it into their servers and set it up as they wanted.

It just seems supremely inefficient to re-invent the wheel, when there's a system most guilds use already, that could be easily adapted to fit the need here.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • I've been a software engineer for a while and THIS is the conversation I've been waiting for, combining my passions. We as guild leaders value a few things things: information, communication, trust, and information. I'd like to suggest some different ways to approach your systems since this seems to be the place and hopefully it's early enough.

TLDR: My main desire is that you're designing systems like server, markets, guild, and player events to have APIs and webhooks (with API keys and being read only data for security). Looking at the current MMO genre shows that Ashes will have scale and player driven markets which means that info is king for economic prosperity, followed shortly by muscle. The fact that I can't bookmark my map in New World is my current frustration as I've found a bunch of gathering spots that are great but can't even screenshot the map without the stupid faction colors overlaying it! So frustrating!!

In an ideal world, your systems would be built with API driven design (not sure how that works with transaction volumes and speeds though) and you'd simply expose it to us.

Here are the features we'd like and how the APIs would be leveraged
    • Server/Guild/Player large scale events being forwarded to a discord bot for reminders
    ---- War changes, Officer changes, cities lost/gained
    • Being able to read market data for pricing and understanding which goods should be sold where
    ---- Recent transaction data would be VERY helpful as well
    • Being able to send messages to the guild chat via API for automated message reminders for events
    ---- eg, "Reminder, we're doing a raid at 7pm"
    ---- Not needed if there is an event management system then forward to discord bot[/code]
    • Being able to query node information
    ---- More important in the early stages for node growth (maybe we want to build near a specific region for resources)
    • Being able to query personal/guild storage for accurate inventories
    ---- This is a nicety but being able to say "I have x iron ore in my bank so don't worry about farming it" is nice
    • Being able to query the active map
    ---- Map information is crucial more so if you implement a system for personal and guild bookmarks!

Basically, if your systems are designed to be managed via API it gives overzealous developer/guild leaders like myself the ability to gather, manipulate, and act on that data. I have some very specific use cases if you have any questions and details along with the mindset as to why they're valuable! Or if there is an external developer Beta I'd love to devote some time to understanding the tooling and providing feedback.

P.S. It seems that some sections of bb code aren't working in the forum post editor (specifically bulleted lists, nested bulleted lists, and [Sp]. It looks like it's getting converted correctly to html but isn't displaying properly?
  • LemonyLemony Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    For a guild app integration system, there's one very key thing I would appreciate to see. I would want the numbers on how many people in the guild are actively fishing. Very important, much wow.
  • Karthos wrote: »
    The biggest problem with making an app that leans into the social aspect of the game, is it's just another thing on my phone that's going to be giving me notifications that 9 out of 10 times, I don't give a shit about. Considering there already exists an app that does ALL the social aspects that a game app could (well there's several, but one more common than the rest), do we really need to make an entire new app?

If Ashes of Creation is going to go this route, why not just create a bot that people can then put into their guild Discords? Since Intrepid would be the one making it, it wouldn't be to hard to set it up to scrape the information needed for notifications in game. Then guilds could just invite it into their servers and set it up as they wanted.

It just seems supremely inefficient to re-invent the wheel, when there's a system most guilds use already, that could be easily adapted to fit the need here.

You know you don't have to download the companion app, right...?
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Karthos wrote: »

You know you don't have to download the companion app, right...?

Unless you are a farmer gatherer main apparently