Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Make AOC in Unreal Engine 5!

JesusHealYouJesusHealYou Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Migrate now untill its too late into the project please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw

Comments

• MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is already something Intrepid has spoken about. They're aware of the update and I'm sure they'll consider a move if it doesn't significantly hold back the launch.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2020
    They've said multiple times that if it's worth for them to do so then they will. At the current time, they obviously don't deem it as necessary. Just upgrading from Unreal Engine 4.23 to 4.25 a few months back caused weeks of delays because of a ton of bugs that popped up. As much as you think, it's not as simple as simply pressing a button and upgrading.

The game is already almost 4 years into coding development, it didn't just start development when Peon made his video and streamers reacted.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • JesusHealYouJesusHealYou Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Thats why i love this devs acctualy lisening to community
  • RaytekuRayteku Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm sure they will if it's worth it but as of right now it's not even out yet. Dev preview in early 2021 and full release sometime later I believe is what I read.

I am sure intrepid has Devs who will play with it on their time as well then they can evaluate what it will add and what it will break, as well as what may break and how much work it is to fix it.

They are using heavily modified source code for networking at least. So that alone would need to be imported and fixed as necessary.

With what I know about the features UE5 will bring I would not mind an up to 2 month delay for it if they decided to implement it.
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited December 2020
    rogonja wrote: »
    Migrate now untill its too late into the project please

Why do you want them to upgrade - for a certain feature? (assuming they even could - I thought U5 releases next year)

• You want them to re-code a very large amount of programming to an engine that is not even out yet?

Let the engine release and then wait at least 6 months for stability before even thinking of upgrading. And let the actual designers and programmers decide when to upgrade. They know how much work it will be.

This is not a case of "Yay, shiny! We need to toss what we have and start over!".
  • UE5 is to fresh. Better to keep a more stabile build and upgrade when UE5 have a longer proven record of being an upgrade, outside just gfx
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    oophus wrote: »
    UE5 is to fresh. Better to keep a more stabile build and upgrade when UE5 have a longer proven record of being an upgrade, outside just gfx

This. Don’t be an early adopter, do you guys want a bad launch?

Hhak63P.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah swapping between engines in the middle of development seems like a bad idea but I'm no dev so....
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A MMORPG is not something that really needs such fidelity of depth tbh.
    This was designed mainly for single player games, where depth of texture is really important nowadays.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Some people seems to think that a game can change from an engine to anothe with the flick of a button...
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • JesusHealYouJesusHealYou Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Some people seems to think that a game can change from an engine to anothe with the flick of a button...

No1 say this but future is coming imagine if Steven somehow manage to implent UE5 and blockchain into ashes?
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Some people seems to think that a game can change from an engine to anothe with the flick of a button...

No1 say this but future is coming imagine if Steven somehow manage to implent UE5 and blockchain into ashes?

Why blockchain?
  • McShaveMcShave Member
    edited October 2021
    but future is coming

future is indeed coming, I would bet on Ashes getting some sort of crypto in the future (way after release)

And VR! Let's make VR an essential part of the game too!

Can anyone else think of any upcoming untested technologies we can incorporate into Ashes of Creation that will delay release and potentially sink the project altogether as it reaches a Star Citizen level of feature creep and endless development only fueled by scamming customers into buying promises that will never be fulfilled?

This is so much fun! :D

Hhak63P.png
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not only VR, but brain-controlled VR! It has to be as good as keyboard and mouse at the very least before release.
  • KesthelyKesthely Member
    edited October 2021
    As a developer a new engine is always exciting. But you almost never use the latest engine. All these new shiny functions, take time to learn, optimize, and redo work for. A few examples

1) art work.: There is a Ashes standardise way to create this. This includes size, pixels, color palettes, particle effects etc. When porting this over, every single art piece needs to be rechecked, or worse redone.

2) Coding: new versions use new features, but because of that much coding needs to be different in format and context.

3) Object based coding. Unreal 5 uses object based coding, that means that the scripts are tied to an object. Upgrading, might lose the scripts to said object, and its a gigantic puzzle to reassemble.

Then there is module ports. Each feature of Uneal engine 5 will eventually be stripped down into a module to import into Unreal engine 4. While i can see that "Nanite" and "Lumen" will become an integral part of ashes at some point, that doesn't mean that for "just" those 2 systems you want to udate the entire engine, if you can also just import those as modules.

Nanite itself sounds impressive, and maybe can be used for their 500 vs 500 goal.
  • You're on point with that list - it is just way too easy to be excited for a new technology, but to make it working requires a tremendous amount of work and I personally think that the upgrade to ue5 would delay the game at least for an additional year

If ashes was still heavily focused on making the networking work then i'd say it would be worth it, but they are much further than that :(
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Atama wrote: »

Can anyone else think of any upcoming untested technologies we can incorporate into Ashes of Creation that will delay release and potentially sink the project altogether as it reaches a Star Citizen level of feature creep and endless development only fueled by scamming customers into buying promises that will never be fulfilled?

HOLODECK!!!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fscifanatic-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F10%2Frealholodeck-head.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

When you said "upcoming", you meant: "At some point maybe in a possible future of maybes", right?!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Some people seems to think that a game can change from an engine to anothe with the flick of a button...

I know. In class I was working with Terrain Simulator on Unity. And I just tried to do the same thing on a Unity Upgrade and everything broke. No more texture on the whole work I had done.

daveywavey wrote: »
    Atama wrote: »

HOLODECK!!!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fscifanatic-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F10%2Frealholodeck-head.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

When you said "upcoming", you meant: "At some point maybe in a possible future of maybes", right?!

The sky isn't even the limit here Davey.

Hhak63P.png
  • MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited December 2023
    Most likely, when AoC is ready there will be UE6 and people will ask for that. 🤣
    EDym4eg.png
  • BotBot Member
    Why would they migrate a game that's near the end of its development cycle that's already having the issue of being delayed? The game looks great already and I'd rather have stability than better graphics. If anything, they would upgrade to UE4. Would also be something to do overtime down the line, not out the gate.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Does Ashes want to eventually be on UE6?
    If so, let's not forget it's easier to keep up with iterative updates than it is to jump from UE4 -> UE6 all at once.

My concern with porting down modules from future versions of UE is that as time goes on, the context of each module gets further and further away from your custom UE4, which increases the complexity of your code, and risks spaghetti.

For games with shorter lifespans and fewer updates, this isn't normally something you need to consider. However, Ashes is an MMO and has potential to live a long life - so it's for sure worth asking.

-

That said, the "UE5" that we're talking about is actually UE5EA - EA meaning Early Access. The point of EA is to let people test the waters before official release in 2022. So I'm keen to hear what the decision is. :smile:
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • maouw wrote: »
    and risks spaghetti.

But, I like spaghetti.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • if the game contains what Steven says on live broadcasts, plus it will be on the Unreal Engine 5 engine, it will destroy the system for years and it will be the top game of all time MMORPG
  • BsirkBsirk Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2021
    Atama wrote: »
    oophus wrote: »
    UE5 is to fresh. Better to keep a more stabile build and upgrade when UE5 have a longer proven record of being an upgrade, outside just gfx

This. Don’t be an early adopter, do you guys want a bad launch?

I don't think this wonderful game will be out until a few more years. UE5 won't be considered an early adoption then. I would rather they made the change now instead of later. At least now they would be able to take full advantage of all the new changes quicker.
    If you swap to UE5 when it’s new you’re an early adopter. It doesn’t matter when you release. I can’t believe that needs to be said.

And if they swap then you’re not talking about releasing in a few years, try doubling that.

Hhak63P.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    gaganu wrote: »
    if the game contains what Steven says on live broadcasts, plus it will be on the Unreal Engine 5 engine, it will destroy the system for years and it will be the top game of all time MMORPG

The vast majority of MMO players are less concerned about graphics than gameplay and stability.

Improving the graphics on an MMO has a really low ROI.
    Noaani wrote: »
    gaganu wrote: »
    if the game contains what Steven says on live broadcasts, plus it will be on the Unreal Engine 5 engine, it will destroy the system for years and it will be the top game of all time MMORPG

The vast majority of MMO players are less concerned about graphics than gameplay and stability.

Improving the graphics on an MMO has a really low ROI.

Especially since you risk pushing the requirements for the game higher, potentially losing more customers.

Hhak63P.png