Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Exploration ideas

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited October 2021 in General Discussion
Sometimes I like to explore, and here are some ideas I would like to see in the game, above and beyond exploring the map and uncovering the different points of interest, which also can be fun in and of itself.

1. Achievements
I don't want this to be the dominant type of exploration reward, but I am a bit of an achievement ..erm.. sex worker... so I would like to see some achievements for the obvious stuff. Like visiting every single node in the game, or reaching the crater or caldera of a volcano. You know, amateur exploration stuff, where you know the goal from the start.

2. Vistas
I'd like to see some Guild Wars 2 style vistas, with an invisible interactive object which will cause the camera to pan across nearby scenery and show something cool that might otherwise be missed. Unlike GW2, I don't want pillars of light to show the place, nor any map completion mechanic. Just let them be there for the enjoyment and cool screenshots or video clips.

3. Inscriptions
Lore tidbits carved on the side of ruins, on runestones, on cave walls, etc. Messages in a bottle. A page from a diary in a prison cell. Perhaps fragments of a whole story the players can piece together. Just a piece of lore is fine. Don't need a fancy item out of it. Sure, eventually it'll all be pieced together on some website, but that's fine.

4. Artifacts
I'd like to see artifacts being randomly placed on the map. No two servers the same. The purpose of these artifacts are simply to place them in your home as decoration (and bragging rights over fellow explorers). These artifacts could tie into a small quest to get them identified, but it doesn't have to be a long fancy quest line or anything. Not all artifacts should be available all the time. Access should be dependent on node levels, adding longevity to the system. This could be expanded into a proper museum system.

5. Hidden recipes, cosmetics, pets, quests, etc.
Hard to find stuff. This ties into the treasure hunting system, with maps leading to hidden treasure. It doesn't all have to be through by a map you find, or an NPC. It can start from an item in a hidden cave that leads the character through a quest line that results in a special food recipe, a pet, a cosmetic item and other stuff like that. Or they can simply be randomly found and picked up and that's it. Some randomized spawning would be good I think.

Some exploration specific rewards would be nice here as well I think. Something that makes maps for hidden treasure more precise perhaps. Or wider view distance on the map, dissipating the fog of war further out as you pass through an undiscovered area. Specifically it could be ingame items like sextants, binoculars, a guide to cartography and such that provide the bonus.

6. Relics
By relics I mean the relics that can be placed in the reliquary of a node. Or rather, relic fragments, with puzzles and obstacles to overcome to acquire them. Like the artifacts, I want the relic fragments randomly placed on each server, so no two servers are the same. And again, access to those relic fragments should depend on node level, which means in order to complete the relic, citizens of a node might have to either raze a specific other node if the fragment can only be found on a lvl 2 or lower node level. Or they might have to try and raze one or more nearby nodes in order to increase a certain node to a higher level, in order to open up a dungeon which houses the fragment piece.

Gathering a full set of fragments for a relic should require many people from that node. If a citizen acquires a fragment it automatically gets added to the node they are citizen of. If they aren't a citizen, nothing happens until they become one and try again.

Eventually all things can be googled I am sure, but, there is a real incentive to keep the locations and puzzle answers of these relic fragments hidden from other people on the server. Relics are very powerful objects that give benefits to all citizens of a node, and thus help the growth and prosperity of all. Most people will want their node to prosper and grow bigger than other nodes.

Comments

• NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like those ideas too :smile:
  • Enforced exploration. How about an extremely rare occurrence that kidnaps your character when you log out and transports them half way across the world to a quest location via a caravan or pirate ship. The kidnappers transportation would be subject to normal caravan rules, so anyone could theoretically stop it. It could be extremely annoying if you had other plans for the next time you log in. Your gear is temporarily stored in a chest and you have to make your escape, gathering your gear on the way out.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • McMackMuck wrote: »
    Enforced exploration. How about an extremely rare occurrence that kidnaps your character when you log out and transports them half way across the world to a quest location via a caravan or pirate ship. The kidnappers transportation would be subject to normal caravan rules, so anyone could theoretically stop it. It could be extremely annoying if you had other plans for the next time you log in. Your gear is temporarily stored in a chest and you have to make your escape, gathering your gear on the way out.

Unless the reward was absolutely unbelievable, this would wind me up something shocking...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
    Enforced exploration. How about an extremely rare occurrence that kidnaps your character when you log out and transports them half way across the world to a quest location via a caravan or pirate ship. The kidnappers transportation would be subject to normal caravan rules, so anyone could theoretically stop it. It could be extremely annoying if you had other plans for the next time you log in. Your gear is temporarily stored in a chest and you have to make your escape, gathering your gear on the way out.

Are you trying to give people anxiety... Cause this is how you give people anxiety...
  • All of your ideas @Nerror. 👍

I’d also like some consistent mysteries with clues all over Terra that may not necessarily be solved in the first year. Have a ten year plan for those that look. 😉
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Political strategies.
    An advanced city has the option of raising/lowering the trade taxes from one city to another, from one road to another, of a specific material.

If guild A with city level 3 wants to go on a certain trade road and this road belongs to the territory of guild B with city level 4, guild B can put taxes for passing through its road and being guild B of higher city level than guild A, guild B has more political / commercial force to influence the taxes of its territory.
    EDym4eg.png
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    McMackMuck wrote: »

This could be fun for a singleplayer game, or a D&D session. However, this might disrupt the plans for more than just the kidnapped character. They might have plans with a group, and then 7 other people might be screwed. Or even worse scenarios, like the mayor of a node under siege on the eve of battle :wink:

make the difficulty similar to dark souls and reward the ones that beat it with a title and a cosmetic armour