Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What types of system abuses have you seen in MMOs that you don't want to find in AoC?

MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
edited October 2021 in General Discussion
Always in every MMO there are people who try to abuse the system, either with exploits, taking advantage of bugs, taking advantage of flaws in development to gain individual or collective advantage, etc.
  • What have been the worst abuses of the system that you have seen in an MMO?
  • What types of abuses of the system do you think would be very harmful to AoC?
  • What abuse of the system would you not want to see in AoC?

The abuse of the system that I would not like to happen in AoC, would be what happened yesterday in NW.
Context: A leader of guild A reports several players of guild B because they were taking advantage of an exploit that made them reach the maximum level of exp of their weapons, the abusers were banned for 1 day.

Guild B, to get revenge, declared war on Guild A over a node, but first they made sure to massively report the leader and sub-leaders for verbal abuse so that they are banned during the war.

When there is a ban in NW there is no way to appeal to that ban, you cannot appeal in the game and they do not allow you to enter the forum to appeal, therefore you must wait the first 24 hours of the ban, if you are banned 3 times, NW eliminate your character.

The leaders of guild A never verbally abused anyone from guild B, but those of guild B were able to take advantage of the system to ban them and have an advantage in today's war.

If that happens in AoC, it would definitely be something that could destroy the theme of node wars.

EDym4eg.png

Comments

• mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2021
    I believe that happened to Steven in Archeage so i'd imagine they have plans to avoid that scenario.
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There's honestly a really easy fix to most of these types of problems, that many game companies don't do, because of the time/cost to do it.

Active and plentiful GMs.

Many ban systems are automated, and very fallible. Not that human error doesn't exist, but in your example, that situation could easily be avoided had the ban of Guild Leader A been actually reviewed by a person who looked at the evidence ( or lack there of) before issuing the ban. Even if it was reviewed by a GM, they obviously didn't check the logs to see if said player had actually committed the infractions alleged.

Boots on the ground, with active server GMs, whose job is to review player reports and decide whether the ban is appropriate is how you work towards solving that problem.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Animation cancelling in ESO.
    People thought it added "skilled gameplay" but it didnt.
    Everybody could learn how to do it within 30 minutes and the combat looked like shit with glitchy ugly ability animations.

It also completelly took out meaningful choices in taking actions. You could attack, roll, block, heal all at once.
    Blocking/rolling didnt cancel dmg output. Just the animation of the previous atk ability.

I want combat to work properly. If you see a big dmg ability coming your way, while you attack and you have an "oh shit, I need to block this" moment, then block. The block should CANCEL your attacking ability animation AND OUTPUT.
    Congratz, you blocked that attack. Now go on the offense again.
    Same with dodge.
  • Have bounty hunter feature active at same time as commerce - where you travel in caravans. Also, be able to get hired help from NPCs. I've seen where ambushing players will get away with ruining entire trade routes, not just 1 run, stopping people even attempting to be merchants/run trade routes. Make going after thieves and cutthroats worth it so people actually use that feature.
  • ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A current dilemma that New World is having because of high queues is people AFKing by auto-running into walls and clogging up the servers.
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • Chime wrote: »
    A current dilemma that New World is having because of high queues is people AFKing by auto-running into walls and clogging up the servers.

btw , 3k queue today :)
    EDym4eg.png
  • YuyukoyayYuyukoyay Member
    edited October 2021
    Zerg oriented gameplay influenced by fast travel or boat/airship scheduled travel systems making it easier. Teleporting being in the game, no matter how small it is, could influence this. I mind it less on max level nodes because it took work to get that advantage, but it is worse with day 1 teleporting through the family system.

Since people who zerg in general are the worst kind of pvpers in general. They don't win with skill, but just with sheer number. They will often do whatever they can for the tiniest advantage to make it possible to zerg.

I don't think the game needs this kind of system because everything about the starting area of the game gives you a reason to start with your friends. You will never realistically play without them except on off days for you or them.

It's annoying and removes the fun from pvp really.

Another issue other mmos tend to have is making professions useless as expansions are added to the game. So some thought should be put forth to prolong the rarity or worth of professions. Like you can do something that WC3 did. They put skills on a table so that if you add more points than what is usually possible to do in game with the map editor. They would scale appropriately. You could do that with some end game recipes so that they always scale to the max level and get appropriately stronger based on the added power. Also can do it with what it takes to make them so that it gets harder to make based on the added power.

Not having something like this in the game though usually make tiers in the professions system, but those tiers are generally not worth completing over just skipping them. The main cause of this is usually leveling being too fast though. If leveling is much slower in this game than virtually every other mmo. The game won't have this problem because the professions will always be worth doing since it would make leveling easier based on the time sinked into them. Which is worth it when leveling is slow.

I consider this abuse because it's abusing the fast leveling speed to skip progression in the game.

Another possible problem is the class system. If the disparity between classes is too big. Then people will refuse to play with certain classes and abuse the system by always bringing the strongest ones. So it's important that the difference is minimal. More so for this game than any other MMO really. Since other MMOs imbalance the classes in certain ways on purpose. Which is easy to do when there are only like 8 of them. Even when they are custom classes like in Everquest, by balancing the class parts individually.

In this game though you can't imbalance the classes too drastically on purpose because it may lead to the dps option always being the best option or always being the worst option. There is no middle ground if the extremes lead the class system. This is potentially the number 1 issue they need to address and get as right as they can the first time. Since the entire success of the game is based on this system along with the node system.

I mean difference in power btw. Not in functionality. I'm not saying that every class needs to be the same, but more so that their equivalent power needs to be the same. This power isn't always dictated by DPS, Tanking ability, or healing ability though. Sometimes buff skills can be so strong that it is a main feature of a class as well. Sometimes having a different skill setup than the norm for a class can lead to wacky situations.

Those weird builds being viable enough for the best content is kind of important though because it adds replayability. Some people will run the entire game again on a build they saw that they thought looked fun. Build diversity is abusable for the game if it is not done right, but if it is done right then it has potential to surpass every other MMO on the market because most MMO's also get this wrong. At least they don't put fun first. This system is generally one that puts fun first. So it should be treated as such when balancing the classes.

I'd rather not end up like WoW that feels more like skin swaps than actual class development.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Animation cancelling in ESO.
    Everybody could learn how to do it within 30 minutes and the combat looked like shit with glitchy ugly ability animations.

It also completelly took out meaningful choices in taking actions. You could attack, roll, block, heal all at once.
    Blocking/rolling didnt cancel dmg output. Just the animation of the previous atk ability.

I want combat to work properly. If you see a big dmg ability coming your way, while you attack and you have an "oh shit, I need to block this" moment, then block. The block should CANCEL your attacking ability animation AND OUTPUT.
    Same with dodge.

Ohhh man, I hated the animation cancelling. It was just stupid. And cos they couldn't work out how to fix it, they just left it in game and decided it would be a feature...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited October 2021
    Snowjade wrote: »
    I've seen where ambushing players will get away with ruining entire trade routes, not just 1 run, stopping people even attempting to be merchants/run trade routes.

This is a major theme of Ashes, no?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Always in every MMO there are people who try to abuse the system, either with exploits, taking advantage of bugs, taking advantage of flaws in development to gain individual or collective advantage, etc.
    What have been the worst abuses of the system that you have seen in an MMO?
    What types of abuses of the system do you think would be very harmful to AoC?
    What abuse of the system would you not want to see in AoC?

Since a lot of the systems are tied to pvp, any thing that includes wallhacking or walljumping to get to a spot that is unreachable for others.

Anything that allows unlimited pulling and Aoe ing down mobs for gold or xp farms.

Anything that allows you to artificially spawn resource nodes, (eg think about a faster respawn if more players are present in aa certain area, could lead to a devaluation of valuable resources tied to that particular mob.
  • Login/Spawn Camping

I am interested to see how the pvp system will work for both parties of a pvp engagement. Obviously, some one pursuing PKing will be at a severe disadvantage while being hunted if their location is trackable. I'd say that it'll lead to camping spawn locations of the PKer for the kill rewards.
  • I just hope they check evidence before ban. And that its not too drastic.

I mean few month ago i got Ban in Wakfu for a month cause I did long-in and out straight up cause I didnt want to play in the end. And their system saw it at something suspect so then banned me for a month.

When I asked them why they told me we tough we saw something suspect. Like who ban cause you think you saw. Just ask the account owner.

Anyway that was my little life story XD

I just hope the AI in Ashes will do a good job looking a evidence for Ban
  • TrachtaTrachta Member
    edited October 2021
    Streamers power leveling due to fans giving them everything was something in New World that I wasn't entirely thrilled about. In lord of the rings online there is consistent running and baiting in the monster play pvp which could have been solved with decent stun abilities.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Trachta wrote: »
    Streamers power leveling due to fans giving them everything was something in New World that I wasn't entirely thrilled about. In lord of the rings online there is consistent running and baiting in the monster play pvp which could have been solved with decent stun abilities.

Dont play on streamer server.
    Seriously, what do you want developers to do about inrl things?
  • What I don’t want to see is collusion between highly influential guilds. For example, one guild allows a node to get destroyed to benefit another guild and then the favor gets repayed later. Or the same thing but within potential competitive pvp scenarios if they are introduced, aka rating boosting for rewards.

Although some would say it’s part of the politics I think this just waters down the experience and funnels the rewards of what is supposed to be the highest level content into the hands of a group unskilled people who didn’t really earn them to begin with.

#PureAshesContent
  • ptitoineptitoine Member
    edited October 2021
    Kalv1441 wrote: »
    What I don’t want to see is collusion between highly influential guilds. For example, one guild allows a node to get destroyed to benefit another guild and then the favor gets repayed later. Or the same thing but within potential competitive pvp scenarios if they are introduced, aka rating boosting for rewards.

Although some would say it’s part of the politics I think this just waters down the experience and funnels the rewards of what is supposed to be the highest level content into the hands of a group unskilled people who didn’t really earn them to begin with.

#PureAshesContent

I think it it wil be like that for big guild at he beginning for sure. After that you have to consider that people have lives outside. So how many people can really attend to these 100vs100 match from the guild. Im sure it will die down after like 1 year or 2. People wot have as much influence to do that after a while.

Also it will depend what server you in.
  • Win-trading and shady forms of "Boosting". I don't have any solid ideas on how to fix this sort of issue, but it causes a ton of over-looked damage to the image of arena and high tier raiding. If you can just buy a boost it lessens the value of the title or achievement you are getting for everyone else. It tells the players that you cannot trust that "xXDragonslayerXx" has the actual skill to kill a dragon.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Sathrago wrote: »
    Win-trading and shady forms of "Boosting". I don't have any solid ideas on how to fix this sort of issue, but it causes a ton of over-looked damage to the image of arena and high tier raiding. If you can just buy a boost it lessens the value of the title or achievement you are getting for everyone else. It tells the players that you cannot trust that "xXDragonslayerXx" has the actual skill to kill a dragon.

Well any multiplayer game that has any sort of Trading between player (AH/Trade/Mailbox) is bound to have a form of Buying boost at some point. And its impossible for Dev to fix it. Cause its part of the game mechanic.
  • -Animation canceling
    -alt accounts
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Ehrgeiz wrote: »
    -Animation canceling
    -alt accounts

Alt accounts? As in having more than one paid account? Whats the issue there if the player is paying for two subs?
  • Kalv1441 wrote: »
    What I don’t want to see is collusion between highly influential guilds. For example, one guild allows a node to get destroyed to benefit another guild and then the favor gets repayed later. Or the same thing but within potential competitive pvp scenarios if they are introduced, aka rating boosting for rewards.

#PureAshesContent

I think what makes the political aspect of this node system interesting is the fluid nature of people and how they interact with organizations over time. Organizations (guilds/ alliances) will be created, expand over time, splinter and break, or just simply exist. If you give enough time to a large group of people, all interacting with each other frequently, who knows what could happen. Politics is a skill, and a way to create order out of the chaos. Intrepid has designed around it and implemented in a way to keep the content fresh with it too (new dungeons/ raids after successful sieges).
  • ptitoine wrote: »
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Win-trading and shady forms of "Boosting". I don't have any solid ideas on how to fix this sort of issue, but it causes a ton of over-looked damage to the image of arena and high tier raiding. If you can just buy a boost it lessens the value of the title or achievement you are getting for everyone else. It tells the players that you cannot trust that "xXDragonslayerXx" has the actual skill to kill a dragon.

Well any multiplayer game that has any sort of Trading between player (AH/Trade/Mailbox) is bound to have a form of Buying boost at some point. And its impossible for Dev to fix it. Cause its part of the game mechanic.

I understand, That's why i said I dont have any solid ideas to fix the issue lol. It is just something that I wish could be resolved by some god-like galaxy brain.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • RamirezRamirez Member
    edited October 2021
    a
  • The corruption system needs to "work".
    This means somehow it has to find a balance between 1) allowing open world PvP when a low level green is constantly farming a rare resource that you don't want them to have 2) discouraging open world PvP when a bully is picking on players that don't want PvP.

As those two scenarios could be the same event from different perspectives it will be interesting where Intrepid set the balance.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Animation cancelling in ESO.

Same with dodge.

I never played ESO but I know that animation cancelling in black desert online did add to the skill ceiling of the class
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think there are 2 things getting confused here:
    • designed animation cancelling - where if you press A then press B within a certain time, it triggers a transition animation from A into B (which cuts a few frames off the time it normally takes to press A and then B separately)
    • (lazy?) animation cancelling - where Skill B straight-up interrupts the remainder of A's animation.

I've played games with bad animation cancelling (many hack and slashers, sadly) but when it's done well it feels really good.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    McMackMuck wrote: »
    The corruption system needs to "work".
    This means somehow it has to find a balance between 1) allowing open world PvP when a low level green is constantly farming a rare resource that you don't want them to have 2) discouraging open world PvP when a bully is picking on players that don't want PvP.

As those two scenarios could be the same event from different perspectives it will be interesting where Intrepid set the balance.

You killing someone because you want what they are getting should be punished. Allowed, yes, but also punished.
  • Kalv1441 wrote: »

#PureAshesContent

Let's make it part of the TOS that Steven must be in every guild Discord, so, if they do work together, he can permanently ban them all. Good riddance!
  • most/all of the onces new world has.