Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What is the worst idea you can think of for Ashes?

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited October 2021 in General Discussion
And by worst I mean something actually within the realm of possibility, and not a completely out there suggestion, like "It gives you a plague when playing it, that kills you and your family in RL", or where the barrier of entry is so high almost no one could afford it. Like, 1 billion dollars to play.

My worst idea suggestions are adding NFTs and cryptomining:

All items in the game are NFTs, handled via a blockchain. Sales and purchases of items are done via Sandalcoin, a currency you mine for while playing the game. The more processing power you have, the more coin you gain, so maxing out your GPUs and CPUs is optimal. The game can run on properly set up mining rigs.

Comments

• VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I agree, I am hard-pressed to think of a worst idea for Ashes than using NFTs or blockchain shenanigans...

Maybe something like family summoning or RP servers?
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2021
    A combination of F2P on release and prox chat implemented. With the lowered barrier to entry it would be as toxic as any other f2p games with prox chat but even worse given Ashes scurrent social centric design making encounters with the most toxic segments of the population even more likely. Yeah you could turn it off but the cultural impact would hit the over all community feel pretty hard. The player base would drop like a fly. That isn't even mentioning the gold farming that would happen or the overloading of gm resources causing people to lose faith in gm resources creating a bad feed back loop.
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • Personally, I'd love it if the cosmetics and collectibles were NFT's, and purchasable/tradeable. But I get that I'm probably the minority.
  • Cross-platform support for consoles and mobile devices. At face value it seems like a good idea, but it ultimately ruins the game by trying to make too many people happy.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2021
    Rasper Nor wrote: »
    Personally, I'd love it if the cosmetics and collectibles were NFT's, and purchasable/tradeable. But I get that I'm probably the minority.

Oooh color me intrigued. Why? Do you think the game will be better for it?
  • Selling gold in the cash shop has to be the worst by far. With such an emphasis on economy, including economic node mayorships, it would ruin the game.
  • A premium subscription that gives players things like infinite crafting material storage to "fix" the artificial limitation on ordinary item storage.

LOOKIN AT YOU ESO!
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • That they begin to be dishonest with the information they give us.

One of the best things I have seen is their transparency, it can be a double-edged leaf but they take risks and that is grateful to a community that esteems, supports and believes in them.

EDym4eg.png
  • Trolls are not a player race. Absolute worst idea ever.
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited October 2021
    The labour point system from Archeage...or just full on P2W - pay to walk...a P2W shop so extensive that you need to buy steps (think I saw this in a Viva La Dirt League video or some mmo comic)
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ravudha wrote: »
    The labour point system from Archeage...or just full on P2W - pay to walk...a P2W shop so extensive that you need to buy steps (think I saw this in a Viva La Dirt League video or some mmo comic)

I thought the concept of that was good, it just shouldn't have had options to buy labor pots. It should have had crafted pots, which should have taken 10% more labor to make than they give.

They also needed to make purses not use labor, and perhaps adjust the contents to match.
  • Immersion breaking cosmetics. I really do not want to see neon colored fairy wings on players.
    Everything needs to fall within the already wide remit of "high magic", but some things go too far for me.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Bunny outfits or other lore breaking cosmetics
  • Besides stuff said so far (such as the game going p2w, immersion breaking cosemtics, etc) a really bad idea for me would be....

the game being too easy, much like retail wow where lvling/adventuring out in the world is just a snoozefest because virtually every NPC is very weak.

and/or the world feeling dead/empty due to server populations being too small for the size of a map.

The worst thing I think Ashes could likely do is already being done.

They are making it so rewards for PvE content are performance based, and not giving players any legit means to objectively assess that performance.

This is essentially the same thing as giving all raw materials (common, rare, literally all of them) an attribute that determines the quality of the finished item that the material is used to make, but not showing players that attribute, so you go through the entire process of acquiring materials, finding crafters, getting components made, assembling the final item, only to realize that what you had was actually junk and you now have a worthless item that cost you a lot of both time and money.

Truthfully, I can't think of anything worse than this that any game developer is likely to do to any game - and I am saying this with New Worlds current issues in mind.
  • Having ressources spawn at the same locations every time. Having mobs spawn at the same locations and having no "lifecycle". (Wolfs not hunting in Packs, just walking around in a 3 by 3 Aerea). Not having a day and night Cylce, not having NSCs have at least a bit of "life" and always stay on their Post. Having all Materials build up on each other, just do maximize the necessity of farming..... basicly anything that is done in another "new" MMORPG "World" that was created.
  • Having Dailies to give people that "dopamine" hit on doing something. Dailies make the game just annoying and grind fest. Log in everyday do XYZ if you don't you feel left behind. and when you do it gives you that small dopamine shot for a while and then the effect fades with time.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2021
    And then you log out.
    I also dislike currencies awarded by dailies to be spend to NPC vendors selling gear related to those dailies.
    Not only it promotes fomo, but it also limits the player agency in getting gear.
    You have to do them X times and you will get the item in X days.

Plus it chips away from the player driven economy by forcing you to interact with the NPC vendors.
    Plus it prohibits you from adventuring or gathering for wealth, since gold cant buy the gear from the daily vendors. Only daily currencies.

And on that note Ill be making discussions regarding multiple currencies in the game, and their negative effect on mmo gameplay.
  • The rush to max lvl and little end game content, you know it's going to happen and pvp only stretches so far, put it behind a gear check to slow progress down.

make the journey interesting enough to beat the rush..
  • Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Worst things that could happen would be:
    1)P2W
    2)DPS meters
    edited October 2021
    Worst things that could happen would be:
    1)P2W
    2)DPS meters

Number 1 I agree with in that it would be a bad thing.

Number 2, literally every other MMO has them, Ashes will have them as third party tools, it makes literally no sense for this to be something you consider a bad thing for Intrepid to do.

Intrepid adding them to the game themselves is literally a win for every player that plays Ashes. It means Intrepid would have control over who has combat trackers, what those trackers can do, and within reason, what they can not do.

Without intrepid adding them to the game, Ashes will be the same as every other MMO out there, with third party tools that Intrepid have no control over.
    Third party tool users can be reported and banned.
    I reache top dps with my stamDK in eso pc EU and I have terrible ping connecting from Australia.

I dont use any combat metrics.
    If you need dps meters to get good or to teach others how to play, you suck big time.

I am glad AoC wont encourage facecheck gaming.
    Why the fvck would you need dps meters in a game where other players might attack you while you try to pull off your rotation?

I would rather players getting to know the people they play with instead of rejecting them based on a stupid add that doesnt prove crap. Someone might have subpar dps but may be great help in the event that PvP breaks out.
    People have become too conditioned to instanced raiding. Gotta have all the aircraft landing addons to show them what to do.

It's an open world mmo. If you think that dps maters you are wrong.
    It has been said that gear wont split into PvP and PvE categories and since the game is open world PvP and you have many ways to build your char, why the fvck do people still talk about dps meters?
    What are you going to compare anyway?

Get in touch with the design.
    edited October 2021
    Third party tool users can be reported and banned.
    The current state of combat trackers for Ashes is that they can pull data from YouTube videos.

This leaves Intrepid as being able to either ban in game screen capture, or being able to do nothing.
    why the fvck do people still talk about dps meters?
    Because I use them to find faults in game design, and then ask developers to fix those faults.

I have yet to play a game where I have not found at least a minor combat issue that has been fixed, and in some cases they have been major issues, and in one game an issue with the RNG system in the game itself (as in, it negatively affected every aspect of the game, without the developers even noticing).

It isn't people that want combat trackers that are out of touch, it is people that have no idea how important they are to an MMO.

You say you got top DPS with your StamDK in ESO without a tracker - this is interesting, and you are welcome.

While YOU may not have used a combat tracker, the people that worked out the combat system, posted information and got issues fixed absolutely did. If it were not for combat trackers, StamDK's would likely not have been viable for most of that games life.

So again, people like me, people with combat trackers, make it so that people like you can go around pretending to be hot shit for claiming to not use combat trackers, despite literally everything you are doing being built on the work done by players that did use them. So again I say - you're welcome.

Edit to add; as someone that wants to give off an aura of knowing what they are talking about, you should stop calling them DPS meters. You know perfectly well that they track more than DPS, and that DPS isn't even the most useful thing they are able to track.

You calling them that makes it seem as if you are knowingly attempting to belittle the work they - and those using them - do for MMO's in general, which when combined with your comments about StamDK in ESO, makes you look petty.

At the very least, give combat trackers the respect they deserve as a tool, and then argue why you don't want them. You own them that much, at the very least - whether you care to admit it or not.
  • As said above, any P2W and DPS meters, but also any change to the corruption system (apart from penalty tweaks) because of all the carebears who’s never even tried a similar system before complaining.
    edited October 2021
    Azreil wrote: »
    As said above, any P2W and DPS meters

I'm still really curious about this perspective.

I understand p2w. We've all played games with it, and games without it. We can all see the effect it has on games.

Combat trackers though, literally no one has played an MMO that did this have combat trackers, as every MMO from Meridian59 to New World has a tracker (New Worlds are still somewhat "underground", and the main one I know of is a side project for someone working on one for Ashes - though there are no doubt dozens more being built).

Since you have never seen a game without a combat tracker, I find it hard to believe you can accurately say that having a combat tracker in Ashes would be the worst thing they could do.

Since you have never played an MMO without a combat tracker, how do you know the effects you are attributing to them - the things you think they cause that make you say that having them I Ashes would be the worst thing that could happen - how do you know those things aren't just inherent to all MMORPG's?

Since you have never played an MMO without a combat tracker, your statement is to suggest that every MMO has done the worst thing possible.

As a stance, it just isn't very well thought out. It may be your opinion, and you are welcome to an opinion, but it being your opinion doesn't mean it holds up to scrutiny, nor that it shouldn't be subject to that scrutiny.
  • I think, that a discussion about the DPS Meters can be continued in another thread?!? This is a thread where Opinion should be stated and not discussed. Right?

Another worst thing that AOC could do is not to implement Overfarming or "Plop in" Respawn of Ressources.
    Fenloh wrote: »
    This is a thread where Opinion should be stated and not discussed. Right?
    Note that this section of the forums is called "general discussion",

It is not called "state your ill conceived opinion and assume that no one will call you on it" section.

These forums are for discussion.
  • Noaani wrote: »
    "state your ill conceived opinion and assume that no one will call you on it" section.

Worst department in the DMV.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png