Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Usage of the word "Nodes"

I know that nodes are a major component for this game and as such, it's a very frequently discussed topic. I absolutely love the idea and it's one of the features that makes the game truly unique. With that said, I do hope that the usage of the word "node" in-game is very limited. Reason being, node is tech talk for a feature of the game and can be viewed as immersion breaking. I don't want to think about the land I'm playing in being referred to as a node when I'm interacting with NPCs. Perhaps, I'm in the minority but I figured I'd voice my opinion regardless.

What are your thoughts on this topic everyone?

Comments

• Hi Drogoneye,

I would be stunned if the word Node was ever used in the game, unless it refers to a mineral node or something like that and then I still doubt it will be there.

I do agree with you that if they did use it, it would be very immersion breaking.
  • Likely, the actual word will be in-game, similar to the usage in Black Desert Online.

Unless each 'node' has an identification label or 'name', you will likely have 'node management' panels or NPCs to manage your citizenship and to track which node your contributing to.

But I get what you mean - it would make it more immersive if the nodes are identified individually and you can refer to them by name or zone.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Removed the content of this post as it was a duplicate to my following post. 
  • @Townsendvol
    Glad you agree. However, I wouldn't have an issue with them using the word node in regards to mineral deposits etc.

@Scarlaette
    Great point! Perhaps an in-game auto name generator which is unique to each node & server to distinguish which nodes are what but still keeping immersion by having a unique and distinct name. If we're going to be fighting over, sculpting with actions, and living in a "node" - then it should have a suiting name for us to be proud of, instead of Node #19038. :)
  • Just weave the word node into the mythology of the world.
    In Ashes, a node is either divine or arcane.
    Could actually be construed as tech by those tending a Science node.

But, we really will have to see how much of a presence nodes actually make in-game.
    Most likely we will be referring to the villages and cities by name, rather than talking about nodes.
    Same may be true depending on what pops up around the hearts of the frontier nodes.

Regions and zones will probably come up in conversations more than nodes.
  • What if we just called it a noode instead?
  • In the May 19th stream they mention how Nodes will all be randomly named, or chosen from a list. (At about 36:00) And that they will be generated so we don't get immersion breaking silly names.
  • <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/usage-of-the-word-nodes/#post-31943">Sivanna wrote:</a></div>In the May 19th stream they mention how Nodes will all be randomly named, or chosen from a list. (At about 36:00) And that they will be generated so we don’t get immersion breaking silly names.

</blockquote>

Fantastic!! I'm relieved to hear this. Thank you!
  • @sivanna - Fantastic!! I'm relieved to hear this. Thank you!
  • <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/usage-of-the-word-nodes/#post-31943">Sivanna wrote:</a></div>In the May 19th stream they mention how Nodes will all be randomly named, or chosen from a list. (At about 36:00) And that they will be generated so we don’t get immersion breaking silly names.

</blockquote>

I remember this now! They were talking about whether people would be able to call their towns like "Towny McTownFace" or some such other troll nonsense ^.^
  • The May 19th discussion is actually about cities, specifically. Which is why I said we'll be referring to villages and cities by name.
    But, a city has several nodes. A Metropolis has several nodes.
    Zones in the frontier have nodes.
    So, we will have to see what pops up around the nodes that don't become villages and cities to know whether we will have reason to even reference nodes in-game.