Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Rested Experience - discussion

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited November 2021 in General Discussion
From https://ashesofcreation.com/news/the-mighty-beard
The first thing that all players will enjoy and use is rested experience. It goes back to our purpose here: to keep you socializing with your fellow players and to enjoy the amenities tavern owners provide. Offering rested experience for those that rent rooms or spend time as patrons of the tavern does this. For those that don’t know, rested experience lets players gain experience at a faster rate for a chunk of their experience bar. It’s a nice reward for taking a break, and means that not being “active” in the questing or hunting sense still lets you reap the rewards of having been so.

My first take-away is that rested XP can be gained while active ingame in the tavern. I think this is a very cool idea. Especially if the rate of rested xp gain is increased by partaking in parlour games and such. Let's get all social and shit.

Renting a room sounds more like a thing you do before logging off for the night, in order to gain rested xp while offline. That's perfectly cool too. Don't make it too expensive though please. Rested xp is mostly aimed at time-casuals as a catch-up mechanism, and they often have less gold than time-hardore players.

Discussion time!

1. How much rested XP should be gained per hour while offline? And how much while online?
2. What do you envision the max rested xp cap should be at in terms of percent of xp required to level up?
3. Do you want 50% bonus to XP or 100% bonus to XP while you have rested XP? The extra total XP gain is the same, it's just a matter of how quickly you get it.
4. Should the rested XP be account or character bound? If character bound, should all characters on the account be able to get rested XP at the same time, or should you have to choose 1 character only to get it?
5. If you don't want any rested experience in the game, tell us why.

Edit: 6. Should rested XP help reduce the xp grind required to get rid of corruption?

Comments

• mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    1. I'd assume it would be same offline and in a tavern. Make it accrue faster if you buy a room. Not sure how much you get.
    2. I think it should be a percentage of your level and max should be 1 lvl
    3. i'd prefer 100%
    4. I'm leaning character and it accrues while you play other characters.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    It's a nice RP touch. I wouldnt go out of my way to head back to town if I am at a grind spot and I know that I will log back in in the next day.

If I am not on about to log out in a good spot I will head to a bed or tavern.

I dont think we should count on this to make up for "lost time while not playing".
    Progress should be active.
  • I would just keep it basic. No real need to have an overly intricate system for rested EXP bonus. The rested EXP system already benefits casuals.
  • I see Rested XP as a (very) soft addiction-prevention system during the leveling stage, which very~ gently reminds ppl "Hey you've played enough (burnt all rested XP) today! May be you should log off in a tavern and come back tomorrow! And it's more time efficient too!"

Certainly worked for me in WoW, until my character reached max level that is ...

So along this line of logic, I'm in favor of account-bound rested XP, and am against online-earned rested XP.
    Well it's "rested", you're supposed to gain it only when you've RESTED.

Btw earning rested XP through parlor games would overly favor those extroverts who do regain their energy by socializing with ppl. As a poor introvert who actually expends energy during social interactions, I'd argue if you earn rested XP through parlor games, then I get to earn rested XP by reading a book :)
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I hate rested XP systems.

I prefer to get 100% reward for my efforts at all time. If a game tries to guilt me into not playing as much by nerfing me until I take a brake. It's more likely that I will find something else to do and not come back.

To me, the best system would just be a flat 100% XP at all times with no way to modify it. It is more satisfying to know that you leveled the whole way without hand out buffs every few days, too.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited November 2021
    It's important to note that Rested XP and AFK XP are two separate things.

Rested XP is that you've been to a tavern lately, and so you're getting a slight increase to your XP earned while you're levelling.
    AFK XP is that you don't even need to play the game and you're still levelling.

So, the Rested XP bonus would only be while you're logged in and playing the game, not while you're logged off.

"Taverns offer rested experience (rested XP) for those who rent rooms or spend time as patrons of the tavern.[1]
    Rested experience allows players to gain experience at a faster rate for a period of time.
    "
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Rested_experience

You're not being given free XP for doing nothing. You're able to earn XP slightly faster.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Btw earning rested XP through parlor games would overly favor those extroverts who do regain their energy by socializing with ppl. As a poor introvert who actually expends energy during social interactions, I'd argue if you earn rested XP through parlor games, then I get to earn rested XP by reading a book :)

Reading a book is definitely much more "restful" than having to, you know, speak to other people... :s
    daveywavey wrote: »
    It's important to note that Rested XP and AFK XP are two separate things.

Rested XP is that you've been to a tavern lately, and so you're getting a slight increase to your XP earned while you're levelling.
    AFK XP is that you don't even need to play the game and you're still levelling.

So, the Rested XP bonus would only be while you're logged in and playing the game, not while you're logged off.

"Taverns offer rested experience (rested XP) for those who rent rooms or spend time as patrons of the tavern.[1]
    Rested experience allows players to gain experience at a faster rate for a period of time.
    "
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Rested_experience

You're not being given free XP for doing nothing. You're able to earn XP slightly faster.

What a disgusting system.

They are going to put a needless area into the game and twist your arm to make you visit it periodically?

For what? To justify that place's existence?

You can't say "It's optional" if it is the min/max way to get XP. It becomes mandatory the second, it's better than not doing it.

I don't hate you @daveywavey, but I hate chore ass systems like this. I hated this shit in SWG. It was one of the worst parts of that game for me.

Next thing you know, they are going to tell us we have visit the shitter every 20 mins and stay close to a source of water, so we don't die of dehydration.
    TVMenSP.png
    edited November 2021
    Oh, I don't like either Rested XP or AFK XP. I'm with you, I'd much rather know what XP I'm getting without having to keep track of an XP buff.

It was more to clarify it for their first question:
    "1. How much rested XP should be gained per hour while offline? And how much while online?"

There won't be any Rested XP gained while offline, cos it's not for offline use.
    I wish devs would learn to take more care when putting in systems that they think are "cool" and "optional" ways to play the game.

The WOW devs thought world buffs were a "cool" and "optional" thing you could do between raids, and it resulted in raid logging. FFXIV was so heavy-handed with its rest XP that it ruined the game. I have literally shit and ate in video games more than I have in real life thanks to the games Ark and Atlas.

I am not saying that devs should not be creative. I am just saying they should take more care when injecting systems into existing gameplay loops. There is an expected gameplay loop for MMORPGs that does not need to involve chores.

If we have to visit a tavern everyone once and a while to maintain a XP buff that is a chore. If we got an XP debuff on death and had to eat at a tavern to cure it, that would be annoying, but more acceptable.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Removing XP Debt by resting in a tavern... I like it!

"Had a bad day? Died lately? Come to Davey's Tavern, and sleep it off!"
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2021
    I don't mind rested XP at all. I would like to see it in Ashes.

About the whole "feeling you need to actively play parlour games at a tavern to be competitive XP wise"-thing, I agree that shouldn't be the case. Rested XP should never accrue faster than a player out there grinding XP.
    Removing XP Debt by resting in a tavern... I like it!

I actually like this a lot. Again, grinding the xp dept away should be faster for sure, but letting rested XP slowly eat away XP debt is a great system I think.

With the emphasis and focus they are putting on taverns, what with the rested XP and vicinity buffs, it fits the overall theme of both the taverns and the overarching focus Intrepid has on promoting social interactions very well.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

As long as there is an active activity that you need to be doing in order to lower debt, I'm for this as well.
    If you don't need to actively do anything, you are effectively creating an afk experience generating method.
  • Noaani wrote: »

As long as there is an active activity that you need to be doing in order to lower debt, I'm for this as well.
    If you don't need to actively do anything, you are effectively creating an afk experience generating method.

giphy.gif
  • daveywavey wrote: »

Since severe XP debt will most likely be due to corruption, your advertisement can be translated as ...

"Killed someone innocent? Come to Davey's Tavern, and sleep it off!" :D
    edited November 2021
    Pretty sure any death comes with XP Debt. But, all are welcome at Davey's Tavern!
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I hate rested XP systems.

I prefer to get 100% reward for my efforts at all time. If a game tries to guilt me into not playing as much by nerfing me until I take a brake. It's more likely that I will find something else to do and not come back.

To me, the best system would just be a flat 100% XP at all times with no way to modify it. It is more satisfying to know that you leveled the whole way without hand out buffs every few days, too.

I agree with this, it's dumb. However, if they added a system that allowed players to split their XP between themselves and a passive pool, that would spill into their main level every few minutes, so they could grind for an hour, then rest for an hour, I wouldn't mind.
  • Merek wrote: »
    However, if they added a system that allowed players to split their XP between themselves and a passive pool, that would spill into their main level every few minutes, so they could grind for an hour, then rest for an hour, I wouldn't mind.

So, instead of getting 100xp up-front, you'd get 50xp up-front, and then have to wait for the final 50xp from the passive pool? Maybe I've misunderstood your idea, but I don't see what the point would be.
    Merek wrote: »
    I agree with this, it's dumb. However, if they added a system that allowed players to split their XP between themselves and a passive pool, that would spill into their main level every few minutes, so they could grind for an hour, then rest for an hour, I wouldn't mind.

Here is where you lose me...

"then rest for an hour"

I don't want any of my time in game to be downtime. That is my major issue with these systems. I get on these games to go hard in the paint. When I rest, it's in the real world.

Another issue I have with these systems is the constant need to go to a specific place to get rested XP. In WOW its easy. I got a hearthstone. I hearth back to the INN and log for the night. Not the end of the world, it is WOW 101 everyone does it. The flight points to get back to your quest hub are not that bad.

The issue is that Ashes is not WOW, and it should not be. Ashes has a focus on the open world. There are no flight points or hearthstones and there should not be. If I have to travel back to town at the end of every session to ensure that I get rest XP that is a chore. That means I spend the first and last 5 to 20 minutes of my game traveling to the nearest inn potentially. That adds up.

If I have to spend time doing something in the inn to get XP, that adds up more.

I don't know about you, but I would rather just log out in the action and pick up where I left off.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Chances are you'll be able to earn as much XP from grinding with those extra 10mins or so as you'd get from running back and forth to get the Rested XP buff. I get that they want a reason for people to actually go into taverns, but I'm just not sure that Rested XP is the way to go.
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited November 2021
    My take would be to have rested exp be equal for if you are in the tavern or logged off. Removing the difference removes "optimization" players might try to have. This lets players not stress about having to return to a tavern for rested exp while rewarding them for hanging out in taverns waiting for friends to log in/arrive or just plain chilling.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Hahaha, imagine getting to max level by playing parlour games in a tavern for 4 months! :D:D:D
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hahaha, imagine getting to max level by playing parlour games in a tavern for 4 months! :D:D:D

I mean, it certainly would be a novel system that is sure to attract a certain playerbase. They'd probably suck in combat, but would add to the game in other ways.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited November 2021

It would not add to the game. It would chip away at the games challenges
  • OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2021
    I love the idea of taverns and them being a focal point to some extent, a social hub, and giving benefits to the player for having visited. Also agree with Vhaeyne, I don't like chores or gimmicky stuff you feel forced to do. So however those things can reconcile themselves...but I do like the idea of taverns having benefits, there needs to be something that compels players to go to them, but what exactly, I dunno.
  • Make it so that you need to go inside a tavern to engage with a "LFG" system that helps players find others looking to do the same content within the same node. Meaning if you want to try and party with randoms you will have to all go to the tavern and wait for others to show up and check out your listing.

Note that I am not suggesting a teleportation system, only a tool that allows you to more easily advertise or find advertised groups within a node. This will make taverns a mini-hub and breath life into it past just being a neat place to RP. This also should cut down on the amount of spam that might otherwise go into the trade and local channels (if this is how they plan to do chatting).
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • I don't really care for rested exp. It's kind of a dumb idea. Why should we reward people for not playing the game lol.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • XeegXeeg Member
    Just want to throw my two cents in on this, as I feel this is an important topic, and loosely ties into the last discussion I touched on which was "downtime in games".

Let's think about what the rested exp system is trying to accomplish.

Rested EXP can help people who have day jobs somewhat catch up to people who game for a living, and can actually be a player retention strategy. People are more likely to log back in from a break if they are getting the benefit of coming back to a bunch of rested EXP. Think about how hard it is to game with friends on these MMOs when your friend just plays more than you and after the first night of playing together you are never the same level again. WOW currently solves it with level scaling (which is brilliant for playing with friends), but ashes wont be able to go that route with their open world idea.

Keep in mind that there may be lots of things to do in Ashes that are time sinks but not worth exp. Just travelling around the map, exploring, farming, crafting, caravans, and the like are activities that might not grant exp but are still worth to do.

Maybe rested exp is not the right system, but some sort of soft exp cap per day or per week or something might be better. Something like the difference between a 100 hour per week gamer and a 20 hour per week gamer is like 70% exp rather than 20% exp (or less because some of those hours are just figuring out what to do).

Once you are max level and in the end game then it really just comes down to what end game activities you like to do and the 100hr per week and 20hr per week might be equal in character strength, but the 100hr person just likes to game more because that's what they like to do.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Xeeg wrote: »
    Maybe rested exp is not the right system, but some sort of soft exp cap per day or per week or something might be better. Something like the difference between a 100 hour per week gamer and a 20 hour per week gamer is like 70% exp rather than 20% exp (or less because some of those hours are just figuring out what to do).
    I would definitely prefer a rested xp system than a "limit on xp" one. Rested is simply positive, while limit is purely negative.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Where is nagash when you need him?