Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Next Livestream + Q&A Submission - Thursday, December 23, 2021 at 11AM Pacific

Comments

• What does Steven mean when he says Summoners will play "Through their summons?"
  • OsFurOsFur Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Do you expect player character animations to improve by Alpha 2?
    ๐Ž๐ฌ๐ฌ๐š ๐ญ๐ฎ๐š ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐› ๐๐ž๐ง๐ญ๐ข๐›๐ฎ๐ฌ ๐ฆ๐ž๐ข๐ฌ ๐œ๐ซ๐ž๐ฉ๐ข๐ญ๐š๐ง๐ญ
  • ObamanizerObamanizer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    1 - Any thoughts on adding Directional Nameplates like we seen in New World?

it really adds to the immersion of the world. Seeing nameplates for players through walls, trees, and other large obstacles is immersion breaking. For all New worlds failures, this was something amazing feeling.

2 - Alpha 1 was obviously bare bones. But will we see MUCH thicker nature density in Alpha 2 or Beta 1?

The world felt like a 2004 MMO with basic flat grounds all over the place unlike modern open world games like New world and say, Icarus. Being in those forests feels "right" and slam dunks the Immersion factor.

3 - Any update on the possibility of UE5 Conversion?

i feel like all the possibilities it would offer can only add to making a world we log our brains into and fall in love with immersion.
    m2r7fkogger4.png
  • AlzeidoAlzeido Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2021
    1.) Will Slimes be in the game? i love them so much. All i want for christmass is slimes

2.) will we be able to control summons/familiars seperately?

3.) Will there be seperate freeholds to be found out in the world, attacked to a node but perhaps one that doesnt become a village? love me the hermit lifestyle!

4.) Will we be able to have multiple mounts out at one time? or multiple pets out at the same time?

6.) How in depth will the animal husbandry go into? Will i be able to take a snorse and through random mutations breed a snorse with short legs? will i be able to breed a snorse with a terrapin tortoise and have a tortoise with a snail shell?

7.) Can we breed pets in order to make mounts?

8.) will there be wildlife that we can gather from just like mining rocks etc, maybe trimming some goat hair, or clipping the claws of a wild tiger etc, only without killing it.

9.) Did you notice that there was no #5?

10.) really though i adore slimes, i firmly believe Ashes wouldn't be complete without them, you could make them all shiny too, maybe have a giant slime mount where you 'mount' it by stepping into the slime and rolling it like one of those blow-up balls you can walk in.
  • ShisaShisa Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2021
    Are the monthly cosmetic sets in the shop going to be broken down into pieces of a set so that we could mix and match them with other items at will, or are they going to be a set (one item covers all of your gear) cosmetic?
    I know there are items like pendants and cloaks that are advertised as one piece, but I personally enjoy mixing and matching sets. If the sets consist of individual items I would be more tempted to buy a set for a specific part of it that I liked. Its also nice to have a little bit of individuality in games, even if its wearing 2-3 pieces of a set and just changing the helm/gloves/shoes out with something else that happens to match from a different set.
  • This is more of a process of development question than a question about the game directly

How do you resist scope/feature creep? I've recently started following AoC's development, been listening to a the prior dev updates while playing other MMOs this past week! One thing that struck me is that while the scope of the game seems quite large, it's remained quite consistent since the kickstarter--at least as far as I've seen. Feature creep can be the death of an exciting game like this, so it's encouraging to me to hear some answers to these Q&As end up being a variation of "That's a really cool idea! But that's not something within the projects scope at launch."

Ok and one more question that might've already been answered, more about the game itself . Do the nodes further out from the starting points have higher level enemies even at the wilderness stage? Or could I decide to wander off from the start to develop nodes far from the divine gates at level 1, maybe to avoid first day/week crowds.
  • What direction do you plan to take with GMs as far as their roles and how you plan to recruit them/train them and how closely do you plan to allow GMs to interact with the games community?
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • in view of the different skin proposed as the Santa Claus, the princesses, or the little ducks. or the Christmas parties in the game.
    I would like to ask you what is the public you are targeting?
    Novus ordo seclorum
  • Hello,
    will any players will be able to buy a caravan or boat like in archeage ? Also will the only interest of moving ressources around the world will be to sell it on market place higher prices because you can't find the ressources around this place ? For exemple you could have higher chances to craft a good stats item on the city you are assigne to creating an interest on transporting ressources. Maybe some rare ressources could only be raffined on specifics workshops that are present only on specifics node or some old workshop standing in the middle of a highly magic area so you would have to transporte ressources there with a caravan or boat to raffine it. Those types of thing could create a massive interset on caravans and boats wich is to me if done correctly one of the biggest selling point of the game.
    Thank you for your time and keep on the good work ill be playing at your game for sure !
  • Will there be Attackspeed in the game? Like in Archeage, where you could should your arrows faster and cast your physical spells faster
  • KanRazzKanRazz Member
    edited December 2021
    Will there be a possibility to play Ashes of creation Apocalypse once more in the future?
  • Back in the September Livestream, Steven said we would get a lot of new information about most of the classes throughout the next 3 months, but so far there has been nothing. What happened to that?
  • I don't mind all of the different types of cosmetic packs being sold but will they all make sense with the actual lore and areas in the game? When I see one of these mount skins will I know the area where the creature is from or are they just different for the sake of being different?
  • OddjobOddjob Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Group mounts? Since we're showcasing mounts these days. ๐ŸŽฉ
    unknown.png
  • While siege attacks are 250v250, there is the possibility that bigger fights will take place in the open world. Will the server be tested for higher number of combatants? 500v500, 1000v1000? More?
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • edited December 2021
    I believe the combat is a really important part of the game as described in the wiki
    Combat is the most tactile system in the game. It needs to feel responsive,...
    It touches almost all aspects of the game in one way or an other, not to mention how excited I am to see the hybrid combat personally, surely I'm not the only one.
    Due to that I wonder if can hope to get any combat related updates or at least know what the most popular ideas floating around the studio concerning combat, as much as I love the monthly developer streams it's mostly been just mount show offs these last months, while intriguing, If there is no gameplay related things present or talked about for some months, one can't help but feel something missing.
    Hearing about combat is important especially because some people keep saying that the game should only be tab target or only action combat depending on which camp they're interested in, instead of supporting the hybrid combat that was in Steven's vision of the game.
  • DisobedientDisobedient Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2021
    Will alchemy recipes be hidden? So hypothetically I test out a few different ingredients and make a great potion out of some combination, can I keep it like a personal secret?.. Or will the whole system be open for the world to see?

Side question (if you're so inclined): Hypothetically the answer is "It's hidden", than will it be like two different combinations of ingredients can make the same potion (like Skyrim), but one potion will be better than the other, depending on the ingredients?

You all are awesome! Thank you for all your hard work :smile: !
  • Does making games too easy contribute to an antisocial (or asocial) atmosphere that hurts the popularity of MMOs in the long-term? Is this an important consideration for Ashes? If so, how is the game being designed in terms of difficulty?
  • Are you planning some holiday discounts for Alpha keys?
  • Will npc and monster aiโ€™s have an overhaul, where they donโ€™t stand around and actually go about their day working, eating, talking about the latest news theyโ€™ve heard and even go to sleep? For the monsters, they wouldnโ€™t stand around anymore until a player comes and attack them but rather they are free roaming whether in packs or by themselves and they have a dodge mechanic or parry system integrated?
  • A question about augments and how much they can bend an archetype.

Will any combinations of X/Tank's be able to tank if properly geared and built to do so, or will primary archetype Tank/X's be the only ones capable of tanking?
  • don't you thing that it would be better to ditch out hybrid combat idea and focus on making good tab targeting?

I am afraid that action combat just does not work with MMORPG genre, and the fact that all major popular mmos with 1m+ concurrent players are tab targeting, and no action combat mmos are close to it is just a one of the many arguments..
    Another one is that it is very hard to balance it, unless separating pvp/pve balance, but in that case it comes with it's own technical challenges that no one seems to bypass it. Unless implementing some kind of pvp only stat and do calculations based on that, but still not a silver bullet.

I am kind of afraid that you're wasting your time trying to make action combat work when there is no really a need for that?
  • chaoticwaffleschaoticwaffles Member, Intrepid Pack
    Will we be able to build basements or the like in our freeholds?
  • Do you have any takeaways from New Worlds initial influx of players as well as the following drop off?

What's the secret recipie to having players who check out the game to stay for the long haul?
  • ShadowBladeShadowBlade Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    How is the character creation tool coming along?
    any eta on when we can have it and start creating our characters?
    ljt1ug8ax1vt.png
  • fudefude Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    a quick random yes no question. should I get the friends I plan on playing Ashes with together to play a night of pen and papper dnd to prepare for the lunch and Ashes quests.

none of us have ever played any pen and papper games. like your 24 hour live stream did.
  • BlipBlip Member
    edited December 2021
    Some in the community seem to think that there opinion is more imoprtant and want only tab targeting and some only want action. Can you promis to stay true to the vision and promises made. And stick to a hybrid combat model?

For me tab targeting will feel like we are going backwards and i cant stand it. Action is so much better IMO.
  • If you run into a group of different types of mobs (e.g. you pull a full room with melee and ranged mobs) and you start killing them. You do AoEs and single target skills and at some point the mob you have in your target dies obviously. Will there be a system that targets the next "logical" mob like if you pull only melee mobs it would be the one with the lowest HP or if you pull a mixed group of melee and ranged it would prolly be all melee mobs first or the ones that deal most damage to you. How will you handle that "Problem" because i ve played quite a lot MMOs where the next mob in line seemed to be completely random and unlogic most of the times?
  • EleyEley Member
    edited December 2021
    Did you look at New World fails, dupes and long queues at the start, to avoid same mistakes in Ashes of Creation?
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2021
    Blip wrote: ยป
    Some in the community seem to think that there opinion is more imoprtant and want only tab targeting and some only want action. Can you promis to stay true to the vision and promises made. And stick to a hybrid combat model?

For me tab targeting will feel like we are going backwards and i cant stand it. Action is so much better IMO.

@Blip They've never promised a hybrid combat system. They've said that a hybrid system is their current goal, and if they can't make it fun then they'll just go tab. Here's the exact quote:
    Steven wrote:
    Furthermore, if testing shows that hybrid combat is not fun or is not viable, Tab with action templates/aoe abilities is our fallback. But we feel confident in creating a fun hybrid system ๐Ÿ™‚
    TmSahwW.png
    nI17Ea4.png