Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

AoC using Steam Proton

RevengeRomanRevengeRoman Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Would the team consider supporting Steam Proton in order to give linux backers a chance to run AoC natively? There are many games that run on Steam Proton out of the box with minimal tinkering already. Even if no support was officially offered it would be nice to be given the opportunity for our community of tinkers to get it running for ourselves.

Comments

• ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    I would not hold my breath. During the 24hour charity stream I asked this question. And the response was literally "Huh, I have no idea what that means."
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Since we have multiple answers of the same type over multiple years. No. Ashes will not be on Steam. They have said that there may be Linux compatibility one day, but it will not be through Steam. It is not a priority for them. Intrepid has also promised extensive and multiple level anti-cheat, not just Easy Anti-Cheat, so those trying to "tinker to get it running ourselves" may find them themselves on the wrong side of account action. Sucks when you get told no. But it is what it is. Good luck.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • RevengeRomanRevengeRoman Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ah, haven't been in the discussion much, just wondered if it had been asked before, hadn't seen anything on it. It would be fairly easy to get it to run, I wouldn't have to mess with the game files at all. But as you say. It is what it is.
  • RevengeRomanRevengeRoman Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You don't have to have AoC on Steam to use Proton though... would just require a basic amount of support to enable to Anti-Cheat to run through Wine/DXVK.
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Since we have multiple answers of the same type over multiple years. No. Ashes will not be on Steam. They have said that there may be Linux compatibility one day, but it will not be through Steam. It is not a priority for them. Intrepid has also promised extensive and multiple level anti-cheat, not just Easy Anti-Cheat, so those trying to "tinker to get it running ourselves" may find them themselves on the wrong side of account action. Sucks when you get told no. But it is what it is. Good luck.

He didn't say playing it on steam. He said Steam Proton. A compatibility layer. It's just made by Valve(steam)
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• ShadonSolShadonSol Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    There has been no official statement about Proton. The closest quote is from 2017, stating that "Linux support may be possible". Might be a good question for the live stream to get a detailed answer!

I'm going ahead and close this thread now, but please feel free to reach out again if you have any more questions!
    volunteer_moderator.gif
This discussion has been closed.