Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Player Feedback Request] Character Creator

Comments

• njrynjry Member
    Very impressed with the look you gave on your first pass. A lot of minor additions have already been suggested that I concur with, but I would also like to request finger amputations and a selection of burns added to the scars. On the fingers, if we could amputate up to 2 or so fingers and at different knuckle points, I don't think that would make animations too awkward and adds great RP depth potential. Imagine all members of a guild amputate their pink at the second knuckle. Tiny effect, but still cool.
  • BloodstormzBloodstormz Member
    edited April 2022
    Up load art, like archeage crest system would work, Custom Guild Crests and Crested armor options would be amazing. i don't care for the tabard like in ESO but i think if players could create a crest that could be displayed on the armor itself, like the logo on a pauldron or center chest, maybe a Medalion that you wear around your neck, or skin it on the armor like the tatoo's.
  • Alice wrote: »
    Happy that you added the "Sculpt" option, but BDO did a better job at that, so I look forward to its final form.
    a8d2a3abaa43aee542f94f76599fe400.png
    Need something like this.

To make "Blend" actually useful, let us choose which body part we want to copy to our character, mainly from another player's character(if players can share their designs via a global album or savefile). If it can be used for marriage system babies when the couple are of different races, that would be great too.

Cons w/ranting:
    • The two females don't look good, the entire face needs a looooooot of work to reach BDO's level.

• The sliders' range seem too narrow and restrictive, mainly the height and chest. You can go 150cm height and flat-chested and it still will be realistic even for an adult, why stop there? I'm sick of being limited to playing adult humans while being stuck inside an adult IRL. "High-fantasy" where? Can't go furry, can't go l0li/sh0ta, and I doubt dwarfs can have slender figure either.

• Add "armors preview" and I would prefer if they keep their starting armor by default at least until we click on "body editing" which is again like BDO x_x". Some weak-minded people will be tempted from accidentally seeing realistic partial nudity and it will affect their later decisions like trolling with sliders, choosing the opposite gender with confused mind and running around with only underwear 24/7. I think these things affect what the community grows into as well. Peace ♥

BDO has a decent system, the templates is what really sets it apart. i personally think the click and drag detail sculpting is far superior to sliders. i fail to see how BDO's is better. as far as the character models, you can fine adjust in sculpting and blending to make them look how ever you want them to.
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Alice wrote: »
    Happy that you added the "Sculpt" option, but BDO did a better job at that, so I look forward to its final form.
    a8d2a3abaa43aee542f94f76599fe400.png
    Need something like this.

To make "Blend" actually useful, let us choose which body part we want to copy to our character, mainly from another player's character(if players can share their designs via a global album or savefile). If it can be used for marriage system babies when the couple are of different races, that would be great too.

Cons w/ranting:
    • The two females don't look good, the entire face needs a looooooot of work to reach BDO's level.

• The sliders' range seem too narrow and restrictive, mainly the height and chest. You can go 150cm height and flat-chested and it still will be realistic even for an adult, why stop there? I'm sick of being limited to playing adult humans while being stuck inside an adult IRL. "High-fantasy" where? Can't go furry, can't go l0li/sh0ta, and I doubt dwarfs can have slender figure either.

• Add "armors preview" and I would prefer if they keep their starting armor by default at least until we click on "body editing" which is again like BDO x_x". Some weak-minded people will be tempted from accidentally seeing realistic partial nudity and it will affect their later decisions like trolling with sliders, choosing the opposite gender with confused mind and running around with only underwear 24/7. I think these things affect what the community grows into as well. Peace ♥

BDO has a decent system, the templates is what really sets it apart. i personally think the click and drag detail sculpting is far superior to sliders. i fail to see how BDO's is better. as far as the character models, you can fine adjust in sculpting and blending to make them look how ever you want them to.

Short answer is that some people can intuit eyeball sliders more easily than pure sculpt and vice versa. What is quicker depends from person to person.

BDO has both a sculpt mode and a slider mode. AoC current build has a better sculpt tool than BDO but there is no reason to not have both. In my experience it makes macro tweaks easier to compare and contrast against than sculpt does. Sliders are a 'how much clay do you want to use on this part of the statue' question. Sculpt is 'what fine tuned shape you want'. You can also fine tune with sliders if there are enough of them, but it's not much quicker since there is a limitation in fine tuning.

BDO has an additional flaw in that you can't easily gauge between sliders and sculpt side by side, so if you want to use both it's usually a slow and cumbersome process. A simple change to ui could fix this.
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • I just wanna say everything that was showcased looked really sick!

The only little detail that I didn't really like was this following beard:
    72ujnp0oa5jo.png

It kinda looks like it's just glued on.

Keep up the good work!
  • AryielleAryielle Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I enjoyed the Character Creator we got to see whole lot. A very fun option I would enjoy seeing added would be for the Kaivek race to have scrimshaw options for their tusks, with carved depth and not just a tattoo. It could be a way to change the basic look of the tusk while still allowing the silhouette to stay the same.
  • Bawzzzz wrote: »
    I just wanna say everything that was showcased looked really sick!

The only little detail that I didn't really like was this following beard:
    72ujnp0oa5jo.png

It kinda looks like it's just glued on.

Keep up the good work!

He just got back from Party City
  • The character creator looked great! Two things that could be added:

1. There is a "slider" to define how "fat" your arms, legs, and body are, but I am missing a slider to have those parts more/less muscular. It would be great to have such a thing.

2. regarding the hair I think there could be models for different ways people lose their hair when getting older and a slider to define its current progress.

Apart from that I only think that the guy could need some minor usability upgrades, but I guess that's going to happen anyway. From what I saw: clicking on a color option and then having to scroll in order to see all available colors might be not so cool. I'd prefer to see the full color palette immediately after selecting the option.

About custom image uploads: In "Trials Rising" there is a character creator with a similar sticker system. (Trials uses them on the cloth instead of on the skin) and they've provided a huge amount of very basic images like a straight line, a curved line, a line that gets thinner, splash patterns, UbiSoft logo, circular gradient, square gradient, etc.). As a result, there are a couple of absolutely awesome cloth designs in the game, but you'll have a WW2 Nazi uniform, dirty diapers, and gore as well.

So the moderation concern is real even if you don't allow custom images and only allow for a lot of tattoos on the body because you'll probably have people use certain shapes in combination to create other shapes.

• Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love what I've seen so far. Some things I would like to see.
    1. The ability to put armor on the models while designing them. Not all, just the basics. Cloth, leather, chain/plate.
    2. A height bar or something relevant for in game scale.
    3. More hair styles.

That's about it. What you have planned already are my other wants.
  • Unsure if this has been asked yet.

Has there been any discussions on Kaelar-half races where you would use the blend feature and select a second race?
  • Reliant wrote: »
    Unsure if this has been asked yet.

Has there been any discussions on Kaelar-half races where you would use the blend feature and select a second race?

I don't believe so. Tulnar will have some blends between races however will have animal traits as well.
  • Having the ability to save your models is a good start but can you make sure that you can open other people's models. I forget the game but their was one that saved the users game id or something so you could only open things you personally saved. Seem obvious but I going to just make sure to state it here.
  • I know it's probably a hot take, and I'll preface that the creator is looking amazing. But can we please have non graphic bulges on guys and not ironning boards crotches. It looks so weird and it's 2022 and a mature game. You dont have to create customizable crotches with big dick prints but just put volume there just like we do for breasts.

Also more feminization or masculization for female or male defaults is always really nice.
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The CC looks amazing, and I'm certain most people wasn't expecting this level of progress so early on, with that said... I hope combat also looks as good as this when you present it for A2... It's going to be hard to explain to people how mounts, art and CC are getting close to their final form while you still don't know what's your direction with combat, hit boxes, action/hybrid skills and all that
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • ZahieZahie Member
    Everything looks awesome!

Hopefully there will be more variation on characters looks than in BDO. Everyone in that game just looks the same even tho they have that character creator :#

One thing that you could add to the beard section is an option to choose different looks on how the beard is growing around the mouth for the same beardstyle/length.
  • RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Looks pretty good so far. Would have liked to see more options for hair and scars but I guess those get added with time.

Also would have liked for the height slider to make more of a difference.

Still over all I think the creator is shaping up well.

PD: also an undo option would be nice, like if I'm sculpting my nose and mess it up I want to cancel the sculpt and get the nose how it was before sculpting.
    2PXdm1m
  • for me theres just to much spread out and stuff is in weird categories or just missing.
    i find wow/bdo/gw2 to have some very good character creator and came up with a very quick concept:
    zpuubyvi2zmy.png
    i felt that msot work was in the first tab added the basics to the origin tab so that you can choose your direction easily before you dive deeper into customization.
    then i merged appearance/blend and sculpt together since they are all the same thing.
    lastly id add a personality tab which you choose basic flavor choices that add just a bit of RP element to it all similar to how guild wars 2 does it to flesh out the characters depth.

• KotterKotter Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    me no likey tusks.
  • AlzeidoAlzeido Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    First of all let me say i love it, it'd far surpassed any other character creator previously made. I do have some issues though and some thoughts, let me go through your "conversation starters" first though;
    What do you like or dislike about the Character Creator we shared?
    Like:
    It is by far the most detailed and user friendly creator i have ever seen, the ability to blend premade presets is genius, i'm interested in seeing how this applies to other races though, as what works amazingly for humans may not bode well for kaelar for example. I don't want it to be just amazing for humans and mediocre for the other races.

Dislike:
    I find that alot of the sliders are limiting and whilst hilarious, "crotch" and "chest" sliders shouldnt be comical, we dont want characters walking around with gigantic junk thinking its a polearm only to find it's actually an archer. whilst hilarious, AOC isn't a comedy game.

What features would you like to see included in the future for the Character Creator?
    Definitely i'd like to have some way of uploading images and having the softward do its best to create the image. alot of people would love to literally be themselves and i've seen this done with poor success in the past as nobody looks good if you paint your face onto a model that doesn't resemble you.

I would also love the races to be more than just humans, whilst i know it'll make it easier to develop as alot of humanoids are the same in terms of skeleton i'd much racher a versatile and diverse game, I would love to have quadrapeds, slimes, animals themselves being playable characters as races. whilst i'm not expecting people to be anthropomorphised wolfes, or to go as far as let people be a gigantic slime holding weapons, i'd like for the customisation to be a large variety, let us make very obease characters, you have super skinny ones, whilst Ashes has expanded to the extreme with details (i loved the wrinkles btw, they actually work for once) the larger aspects are generally the same. slight hight differences, a weight difference of say, 200lbs? at most, it just seems to me that whilst there's alot of versatility there isnt nearly enough. I understand alpha and whatnot, you're not gonna have everything in alpha 2, but that doesnt mean you can't have more in the full release. a race having tusks and sharp ears, purple skin is one thing, but we have dwarven spieces too, but humans can also be dwarven sizes, and likewise a very tall dwarf can look like a short human. dont let the races be limited by height and size, let all races increase and decrease their weight, muscles and everything. give us true creative freedom with our characters.let us make our characters look like other species too, we coudl have a human with facepaint to look like a kaelar, or a tall dwarf to look like a human, with typical dwarven nose. it wont be quite mix and match but the option to truly customise our toons instead of just customise it as best as we can given the confines of their race really would feel like a complete game. you're goiing to have 10's of thousands of players, i dont want them all to look the same.

What areas of customization are important to you?
    I think i answered this before but, All of them.

I have a standard fear with all games, and thats that my characters will end up overly sexualised. I get it, sex sells but i dont want to have characters walking around in bikinis, or swimming trunks in their time off. nor do i want emotes that twerk, or any of that anime UwU stuff. There's places for that stuff and in a game as expansive and with as much work put into it as ashes, where you're re-defining what it is to be a MMO, and not just copying every game out there since the year 2000, is not the place for it. Its a fame filled with fantasy, lore, wonder and action. not to get your rocks off.

The character creation has limits, i'd like to be able to have facepaint of a design of our choosing, and not just the scorpion tribal patterns. yeah there's going to be people who draw phalluses on their faces and stuff but they will find a way to do that regardless. so why not open it up and let us draw what we want and just moderate it. I'd love to have a guild symbol on my face, or chest or back. i'd love to be able to tell what someone is about, be it harmless animal tamer, or fearsome pker, or even a mercenary, just by looking at them. let us brand ourselves with freedom.

I think further than this to critique it i'll have to play around in it, but i could go onfor hours suggesting things and asking for things. Ultimately i don't know the furthest extent of customisation that Intrepid are going to allow us so i cant brainstorm within that.
  • JamieKaosJamieKaos Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Can we please please please have the hair grow over time and need to be cut. That honestly would add a whole different level of immersion. Seriously would be so freaking cool.
    r0jyzz3tdhj5.png
  • mikemike Member
    A built in way to share character presets would go a long way as it has proven to be widely successful in BDO as a device for the community to share their creations with eachother
  • HappyPappyHappyPappy Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love what you guys have so far for the Character Creator. One small detail that i would love to see added is option to have scars effect hair growth on the head and body. An example would be if a character has a scar going through their eyebrow the scar overrides the hair it passes through so there wouldn’t be hair growth over the scar.
  • I'm colour blind and, even though I know there'll be options in game for me to make colours better, I'm REALLY hoping you implement something in character select. I don't get on well AT ALL with gradient style colour selections. Personally I need names for the colours, or at the very least groups of colours in named categories (all blues in blue section, all pinks in a separate pink section etc). Looking forward to what you come up with in future, amazing progress so far. Very excited to try this game out when it's ready!

Hex codes are a godsend. I can google exactly what I want :D
  • I really enjoyed the character creator. I like also a concept that really got me excited was being able to customize our own NPCs. Would that be for our guild base? It would be cool if it were like the anime OVERLORD where they protect your base while you are away, or they essentially act as a butler/servant in the guild area. It would also be neat, and I'm not sure if this is possible, but if the NPC could level with you and give you a way to get xp by training with them. Other than that I hope there is an option for tusks for the Vek. I like this but a better variety is a must. The humans looked awesome and I must say AOC is looking amazing. I'm excited to be a part of backing ASHES and I look forward to what the team will come up with.
  • LoukaLouka Member
    it must be quite difficult to create races with passion and not just money like Blizzard.

Strange that small studios have better character creators than big studios full of money like acti-money or Blizzard
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean...WoW is basically stuck with 20 year-old tech.
  • The CC has an amazing start - love it! The only two things I really wanna add for feedback are as follows: 1. I'm sure this was planned already, but, please consider having a pupil sizing slider :) and 2. Please consider having numbers attached to the height slider (i.e. scrolling shows your hooman is 5'4" ... keep scrolling for 6'"2 kinda deal). Visibly showing the height numbers in CC will help players be able to visualize the size of their character in-game without yoloing it lol Thanks for all your hard work!
  • MycologyMycology Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think as far as everything you laid out goes, it looks wonderful.

I'm not really big into character creators because eventually you are wearing armor that covers up all that glorious work you put in to the CC! I would just make a small recommendation; A barbershop in certain node types that will give you the option to redo you character for a fee.

Barber Startup text: "Not all of us are comfortable in our own skin, some just fancy a change. Luckily for you I am skilled in Physiological Energy Manipulation, sit down - if you so choose."
  • keyframekeyframe Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited April 2022
    • Allow for the blood vessels in the eyes to be seen (red eye).
    • Eye rotational offset (the pupil is off to the side)
    • Undo / Redo
    • Not sure if the blend allows you to blend presets we have saved but if not, yes please.
    • More detail types (like the scars and tattoos but maybe birth marks and other imperfections)
    • Preset Buttons to affect multiple options at once. (Make the character more buff or lean)
    • Noise slider for secondary hair colors (allow for more sporadic coloring, instead of streaks (true salt n pepper))
    • Some of the hairstyles have the hair out to the side when it would naturally fall closer to the ears.
    • A place to view / upload presets we make inside the character creator itself.
    • Display armor/outfits/costumes/trasmog you have acquired
  • Love the creator so far!

A couple things I'd love to see:

Ability to import/export characters, and being able to create a character without needing an account. With so much variation you've already put into the creator, there are a million variations. It could be possible to have an entire third party economy or shop developed around character creation, which some people excel at, and others couldn't care less about. I'd love to be able to pay someone who is great at facial mapping to take a picture of me and see how to map it to a Dunir face.

The second thing is body effects, like a tattoo that only glows at night, or only when fighting undead. This could be extrapolated to the antlers on the Py'Rai, or braids in the Ren'Kai or Dunir hair.

Can't WAIT to see what the Tulnar options are going to be like! I'd love to see something similar to a Dragonborn or Lizardkin.