Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Feedback Request] Hairstyles in Character Creator

VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
edited May 2022 in General Discussion
Hello glorious community,

As we go through your feedback on the Alpha Two Character Creator that was seen during the March 2022 Development Update livestream, we’ve noticed many players discussing the desire for different types of hair and hairstyles to be available in the main Character Creator feedback thread.

Getting hair right for different types of characters is something that matters to us, and we want you to let us know in this thread what hair features you’d like to have in the Character Creator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_1q7Djv-Lw&t=2243s"]https://youtube.com/watch?v=J_1q7Djv-Lw&t=2243s

REMINDER: The goal of our Character Creator isn’t to just help you customize your character. You’ll also be able to customize NPCs, like those you hire that exist on your Freehold.

To help guide this conversation, here are a few thought starters:
  • What areas of hair customization are important to you?
  • What do you feel is missing from the hairstyles we’ve shared so far?
  • Which types of hairstyles do other games do well, and what makes hair in those games good?

Please don’t feel limited by the thought starters above. Feel free to share anything you’d like about hair customization in our Character Creator.

We’ll be compiling a report for the design team on Tuesday, May 10, 2022, so please try to get your feedback into this thread by then!

Everyone here at Intrepid Studios looks forward to reading all the feedback you have to share regarding hair customization options in the Character Creator!
community_management.gif

Comments

• NiKrNiKr Member
    I don't really care about the head hair, but I do care about the beard (future dunir main reporting in). And the beard shown was somewhat weird-looking. Mainly the sharp cutoff felt off a bit. I think that could be a style of beard, but I feel like for the beard to feel "realistic" there should be some gradient to it.

So if we could have smth like a "5 o'clock shadow at the base of the beard (on the cheeks) going into a bushier beard with ending in some stylistic form at the end" - that would be amazing. And if we can control each stage of that setup - it'd be pure perfection imo.

I dunno if that's doable code-wise, but I'd love that.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    African hairstyles - even among Py'Rai and Dunir. Afro-puffs would be nice for females. Otjize.
    I'd love to see dreads for beards. I've got wire cuffs around my beard dreads.

Egyptian and Polynesian hairstyles would also be nice.
    Elizabethan hairstyles could be fascinating.
  • Zurgo_DrakuthZurgo_Drakuth Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have played a fair bit of Conan Exiles and there are a lot of awesome mods for hairstyles one could take inspiration from. For example: The Barbarian Barber mod found at https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2050780234&searchtext=hairstyles gives a lot of hairstyles that I'm sure players will be asking about.
  • DiuraDiura Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have strong waves/curls irl which I very rarely see in character creators. I would love to see various wave/curl types as options. I'm optimistic about this with the examples we've already seen ^^

Choices to have/remove fringes would be cool.

A good range of updos, short, medium and long hairstyles~

I liked the colour palette in the current character creator~ looks natural - great base colours ^^ ~ would appreciate some crazy colours for those that like to dye ^^

If a style has a hair accessory it would also be great to have options for what accessory to have. Sometimes I love a style but don't like the accessories .-.
    8st3lhnx21to.png
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited April 2022
    5lioj5c16.png[/img]
    hkhxygi6dv9c.jpg
    ho32b0iv1zmb.jpg
    utrq0dq7betj.jpg
    itgnbwi9yj00.png

0jaa86lyu4io.jpg
    cl97grbv4fi5.jpg
    ewtrcmv2j3t3.png
    hqakg37n5dll.jpg
    bgo74chbb6zs.jpg
    viophglb48ls.jpg

047zjhcq00j7.png

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    A good base is proven to be the key to success.

In the case of char creator I think that variety is super important, no matter how good costumization scales can be.
  • CawwCaww Member
    I need a "comb-over" style with at least a few strands to avoid the impression I am totally bald.. thank you very much
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited April 2022
    I would love some longer female hair styles - not just shoulder length like a lot of games do but like mid-back to just above butt long (really no longer than that, though because then it starts to look ridiculous). Both wavy and straight styles with a variety of looks. I'd also like to see crazy colors like varieties of pink, purple, blue, etc. if I'm in the mood for something other than blonde/brown, etc.

Also please offer these long hairstyles for every race - some games will ruin a race by offering terrible hairstyles, or a limited selection. Let people make a character they're happy with - don't force too many restrictions simply because a race is supposed to have a particular look.

Edit: Also something I mentioned in the other thread - I'd really love an in game barbershop. I change my hairstyle and color in game a lot so I'd love if I didn't have to pay frequent real life money for that!
  • robdogerobdoge Member, Explorer
    Don’t be afraid of longer hairstyles, and don’t worry too much about clipping issues that come along with the long hair. Clipping is sometimes unavoidable, and some of us would rather have cool hairstyles with some clipping than having short hair and no clipping. ESO made the mistake of making great hairstyles for npcs and restricting them from players, despite outcry, due to ‘clipping issues’.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Viking undercut with variations of length, ponytails, braids - etc. Thanks!
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • ZahieZahie Member
    edited April 2022
    I would like to see lots of variations with different length, updos, braids, wavy, curly, straight, thin hair, thick hair, sidecuts, undercuts etc for all races and genders (some games tend to have favorite races with more hairstyles and that's unfair). Also different variations or customizable parts of the same base hairstyle would be cool, for an example, to be able to pick which side the bang will be on if it's a side bang or add an extra braid or maybe even a variety of hair lines to chose from.
    Hair accessories is also important, there should be a differens variety of accessories with different aesthetics and some that is racial. Hair accessories should also be easily changed after the character is made.

Personally I like Vikings (the series) inspired hairstyles for both male and female. With a tweak it could fit for all races.

And don't forget about the beards. There should be a lot of variations of beards to choose from, short, medium, long, super long a la Miraculix, groomed, wild like a crow nest, braided, dreaded, and lots different kinds of accesories to chose from.
  • The ability to have large, almost silhouette-altering manes of hair would be cool as well as the ability to add ornamentation like feathers, clasps, bone, Ivory, etc to one's hair and facial hair.
  • Scars - allow us to put scars on the characters and by doing so hair does not grow there (head hair, beards and other such areas where hair normally grows)

Since there were regions on the body that could be adjusted, have regions on the head and face where you can color and lengthen/shorten the hair separately from other regions
  • RyanTheSirenRyanTheSiren Member
    edited April 2022
    Long long long hairstyles. We don't care if they clip, we just want long hairstyle options. Like, very long.

Also super intricate hairstyles with lots of braids/ twists/etc. interwoven through the hair. Would also be nice if there are like charms/metal/jewels we can add into the hairstyles and change the color of!

111yvt89cvo5.jpg
    mpxgaetgcrb7.jpg
    cugzv1gfmac4.jpg
    0e80116pkweb.jpg
    42o6xvtgkyqa.jpg

Also of course a wide range of Afro-textured hairstyles. Twists, braids, afro puffs, cool braided updos and styles, etc.! There are so many missed opportunities for beautiful black hairstyles in fantasy games!

6kmk6k2u7by8.jpg
    1vjlol5bwkzx.jpg
    6qa4du2mzjiv.jpg
    q3zof3a0eqch.jpg
    r0h170l0uaon.png

• LadySelenaeLadySelenae Member
    edited April 2022
    Would Intrepid consider adding modular hair, so that players can give their characters unique hairstyles? Having this option would be a godsend for folks like myself, who tend to feel limited by the preset options given. A system similar to Code Vein's would be amazing (jump to 2:20):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKjmbeduhII
    Also, please don't limit haircolors to 'natural-only' ones. If people want to be a Kaelar/Vaelune with bright turquoise or bubble-gum pink hair, for example, let them.
  • TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
    edited April 2022
    Mine - the Royal French Mange. Never seen it in a video game.

c9wzhjuzhbfk.png

Most games seem to think that long hair on a male toon needs to be perfectly straight. Some games have featured the length, but not in inherent waves and curls.

Beyond this, my only other request/suggestion would be Nairobi's hair, from the Matrix. TMO had it, of course, but I've rarely seen it in games, since.

• Caww wrote: »
    I need a "comb-over" style with at least a few strands to avoid the impression I am totally bald.. thank you very much

Haha! You've just described my nightmare, in detail - but yours truly would have to agree that a couple of varieties of comb-overs should be offered.

• KalTaraKalTara Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I second the comment about REALLY long hair. Always been my favorite. I also would love more viking inspired hairstyles (on appropriate races of course).
  • I'm not so creative myself but wanted to just echo that most the suggestions especially the examples (i like the different variety in the afro-style options).

I think I will just join the wagon of making sure the beards/moustaches suit the face/skin, and the blend and textures chosen will definitely help with this.

I also saw that the highlights in the last dev stream spilled onto the eyebrows. I am not sure if this was intended but some control over how the highlights affects other hair-sections of the face would be great.
  • Mine - the Royal French Mange. Never seen it in a video game.

c9wzhjuzhbfk.png

Most games seem to think that long hair on a male toon needs to be perfectly straight. Some games have featured the length, but not in inherent waves and curls.

Beyond this, my only other request/suggestion would be Nairobi's hair, from the Matrix. TMO had it, of course, but I've rarely seen it in games, since.

My hair is like that when it's long. Never seen it in a game. Sadness.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My Withered Female Py-Rai Shaman will in effect be turned into a Wood Nymph Nightmare. Basically, if possible, I will have a sexy demon looking Wood Elf. Hence, the concepts below. of course, I could not merge your concepts with my offered concepts so forgive the horn shapes, styles etc. The hair/horn combo (and gorgeous eyes) were the main reasons for the post. I realise we don't need Zabraks outside of Star Wars.

horns-artwork-demon-fantasy-art-wallpaper-preview.jpg

drawing-fantasy-art-demon-demon-girls-wallpaper-preview.jpg

lulie-art-luminos-blonde-wallpaper-preview.jpg

1jizk1qgjkt31.jpg?auto=webp&s=5bf80ce5d08dbc8e85d6c1099aaea4279033c861

a8ab9c9d62a64ab9c3f9e73f5c26ed70.jpg
    d9fuzpc-0d1e1eb7-af49-45c5-bd58-4deb9827812b.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2E3M2Y0YTdjLTExMjItNDMyNi05MWE0LTUxMmNlMGFlZmFjZlwvZDlmdXpwYy0wZDFlMWViNy1hZjQ5LTQ1YzUtYmQ1OC00ZGViOTgyNzgxMmIuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.mNPkylnJ1WoTdfMuNW-2eqXdCAGbq1LDyyoGXz6zcHY
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited April 2022
    I think it would be very interesting to complement the hairstyles in the Character Creator with embellishments, something that makes our characters' hair stand out from the others.

uZQ31iO.jpg
    ZqS9lzL.jpg
    WZQddbI.jpg
    WXWsdtL.jpg
    ymr5TRv.jpg
    vMFrMW5.jpg
    Carnaval de rio de janeiro
    puo9DRm.jpg
    9ORVm6L.jpg
    NuT5l54.jpg
    ahStz1b.jpg

I think it would be too much to ask but it would be amazing that in the CC the hair/beard editing could be manipulated as if it were a barber shop, that way I think it would be more accurate, more dynamic and fun.
    I imagine a barber of the chosen race cutting (editing) the hair/beard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoCKNIOyPXQ&t=19s
    6Cnzd9o.jpg
    EDym4eg.png
  • You currently have the functionality to reshape/tweak the facial components, imagine a similar feature for beards, being able to "split" "twist" "curl" to form a truly custom beard.
  • -T0Mb--T0Mb- Member
    edited April 2022
    Mostly I liked the hairstyles that you showed us in the latest development update and I can't wait to see what other hairstyles there will be in the game. That one long beard looked little bit fake or funny in my opinion. :D

I hope that humans', dwarves' and Empyrean elves' hair color options will include only natural hair colors (not like bright pink, blue, green etc.) and let the more magical or beast looking races (Py'Rai, Ren'Kai, Vek and maybe Tulnar) have an option to use a little bit unnatural hair colors.

I have some beard and hairstyle ideas for these following races.

Dünir: An option to have very long and thick beards that could reach to belly.

Py'Rai: An option to have hairstyles that can be dressed with ornaments that are made of flowers, leaves, conifer cones, mosses, lichens, mushrooms, animal bones/skulls, feathers, butterfly wings etc.

Empyrean: In this situation where Empyrean elves' modeln isn't yet revealed I suggest that their racial feature is their hair. They would only have long or medium lenght hairstyles and when wearing armors their hair could be visible in someway.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    -T0Mb- wrote: »
    Py'Rai: An option to have hairstyles that can be dressed with ornaments that are made of flowers, leaves, conifer cones, mosses, lichens, mushrooms, animal bones/skulls, feathers, butterfly wings etc.

I found this image of a Wood Nymph. Not sure whether I'd call the effect a Mage Effect, a Summoner Effect or a Cleric Effect.

olga-dubrovskaya-dc5aw53-166951db-6550-4329-9213-7381bc81447c.gif?1584602213
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • -T0Mb--T0Mb- Member
    edited April 2022
    Neurath wrote: »
    -T0Mb- wrote: »

I found this image of a Wood Nymph. Not sure whether I'd call the effect a Mage Effect, a Summoner Effect or a Cleric Effect.

olga-dubrovskaya-dc5aw53-166951db-6550-4329-9213-7381bc81447c.gif?1584602213

I would say Mage Effect but that could work as Cleric Effect too. ;)
  • EmberstoneEmberstone Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The viking warrior hairstyles ofcourse, for both male and female. Temple shave, Braided, Loosely braided, Knotted, Mohawk, Messy braided, Messy (half)ponytail with undercut, fades etc!
    ftcm67938qg3.gif
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Asymmetrical.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • BakuhatsuBakuhatsu Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Multi-zone colors. Ie. have red on the side chops, and black in the goatie and beard, mixed with blonde and white/gray hairs. Controlled zone hair thinning... Well, basically me 🤣