Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Release Day Servers (I understand this is a long time out)

GragisGragis Member
edited May 2022 in Support & FAQ
So, I know were a long time out from this but I did have this question in my head so I figured I'd put it out there. How will release day work per region with servers? If servers are predicted to be 8-10k players a server. How many servers will there actually be per region? This also brings along the question, from playing New World when the game lost players and left the "Hype Train" Lots of servers died out or were halved. After opening over 20 servers and after 3 months of release had to merge those servers per region into one another. My only fear personally is that Ashes of Creation creates 40 10k player servers due to the youtubers or streamers bringing hype and their viewers into the game. Then leaving the game once the hype dies out and the true mmorpg players that stay get absolutely punished for no reason. Personally the only way I see a fix for this would be to create only 4-7 servers per region and maybe have a YouTube / streamer based server so that the streamers don't ruin normal servers. I've seen it happen multiple times where someone like Asmongold joined a New World Server and absolutely destroyed its economy and balance due to his favorable audience. I can see a large negative being that if servers are meant to potentially have 10k players. If a server dies or has a large loss of players its going to ruin the experience for those that joined not knowing a specific youtuber or streamer would be there. Basically, hoping that Ashes doesn't pull a new world. I would hate to go through the process of merging servers and losing progress again. It's what killed New World for me and a lot of its player base. I understand its good to have high expectations, but being realistic would also be beneficial for when streamers move to the next big game as they normally do. I just hope I don't fall into a streamers server nor do I fall into a server that loses half its population. Please feel free to give feedback and correct me if there's something I may of missed in regard to the servers. I just hope Ashes of Creation does not create more then 10 servers per region due to first day queue time or mass amount of users. As this was a large negative that impacted a game like New World. (Mind you there's a lot of negatives about new world this is just one that made me personally dislike the game) No-one wants to lose their home they've built up.

Comments

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Paragraphs are your friend ;)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Gragis wrote: »
    So, I know were a long time out from this but I did have this question in my head so I figured I'd put it out there.

How will release day work per region with servers? If servers are predicted to be 8-10k players a server. How many servers will there actually be per region?

This also brings along the question, from playing New World when the game lost players and left the "Hype Train" Lots of servers died out or were halved. After opening over 20 servers and after 3 months of release had to merge those servers per region into one another.

My only fear personally is that Ashes of Creation creates 40 10k player servers due to the youtubers or streamers bringing hype and their viewers into the game. Then leaving the game once the hype dies out and the true mmorpg players that stay get absolutely punished for no reason.

Personally the only way I see a fix for this would be to create only 4-7 servers per region and maybe have a YouTube / streamer based server so that the streamers don't ruin normal servers. I've seen it happen multiple times where someone like Asmongold joined a New World Server and absolutely destroyed its economy and balance due to his favorable audience.

I can see a large negative being that if servers are meant to potentially have 10k players. If a server dies or has a large loss of players its going to ruin the experience for those that joined not knowing a specific youtuber or streamer would be there.

Basically, hoping that Ashes doesn't pull a new world. I would hate to go through the process of merging servers and losing progress again. It's what killed New World for me and a lot of its player base. I understand its good to have high expectations, but being realistic would also be beneficial for when streamers move to the next big game as they normally do. I just hope I don't fall into a streamers server nor do I fall into a server that loses half its population. Please feel free to give feedback and correct me if there's something I may of missed in regard to the servers.

I just hope Ashes of Creation does not create more then 10 servers per region due to first day queue time or mass amount of users. As this was a large negative that impacted a game like New World. (Mind you there's a lot of negatives about new world this is just one that made me personally dislike the game) No-one wants to lose their home they've built up.

That is significantly easier to read.

As to your concerns; Amazon had more of a focus on trying to make AGS in to a viable game studio, and to then spin it in to a game streaming service.

They were too focused on the big picture to actually spend the time and effort to make a good product.

Intrepid have no immediate plans past Ashes. While there are things they may well do after the game launches, they are things they are only going to put time and effort in to once the game is made and launched.

Also, Intrepid has more MMO development and launch experience than all of Amazon.
  • ShadonSolShadonSol Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    We don't know how many servers are planned for each region at launch yet. This will get decided much closer to release.

Intrepid currently plans to allow up to 15k users to pre-register per server; this limit will gradually increase to 50k users with time.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Servers#server_population

There are currently no plans for dedicated streamer servers.

I'm moving this thread to the FAQ section and closing it, but please feel free to reach out again if you have any more questions!
    volunteer_moderator.gif
This discussion has been closed.