Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PVP - Ganking/PKing Accountability.

Dear Ashes of Creation and community,

I’ll try to write this as efficient as possible, so no one gets bored. And perhaps someone of the team read this.
My name is Nick, I am from the Netherlands. 32 years old.
My ideas/thoughts come from old-school MMORPGS.

So we all agree that this “sense of danger” in the open world is what we want from Ashes of Creation. Unlike “always progress” in most modern 3d MMORPGS.

Accountability for ganking/pking:
You don’t want to be ganked by some “random” gankers/PK’ers in the world. Gankers/PKers you don’t even know. This will make you feel bad and empty and “nothing you can do about it”, but there was an mmorpg which made you feel like you COULD do something about it. It was (now oldschool) Tibia. When you died by gankers/Pkers every player of Tibia would have the feeling: I’ll get them later’ and you would suck it up and get better, make more levels and grind. Then after a while you could have your revenge.

How could you have revenge?
You had a spell called “Exiva *playername*” and then the game client would tell you that the player you are looking for is north, east, south or west. Or when they are far away it would say the person is “far to the east” (So it’s not too detailed to where the player is, you would actually have to make some effort into finding the person by traveling to places and then use the spell). This makes it possible to hold someone accountable for killing you once upon a time. Or if you have a conflict with a person you can go search for them. You can also find a group/guild with this spell…
This system could also be abused because you could just go to a person time after time and make their life miserable. HOWEVER, this person could also use this spell on you and see you coming.
You would be safe if the spell said you the *playername* is Very Far to the North.
This whole “see where a player is” adds to players being hold accountable for their pking/ganking actions.
Also this system makes the gankers/pkers more feared and hated. It evens out the “random” pk/groups a bit by the community of the server you play in.
Let’s say you died by 2 gankers with names X and Y. In ANY modern MMORPG nowadays like Albion for example you would just leave it be and the gankers would just keep doing it, perhaps change areas.. But now with this system, nope… Chances are you will be hunted by the person you killed, the person you killed might have called his friends. This spell in some kind of form changes the dynamic of the game, makes it more personal. And back then it WORKED, why shouldn’t it have to work again?
This system got complimented by Tibia’s website, on which you can enter your characters name (or any other names). And you would see who killed the person in the past (up some x amount of lines)
pmhn9vee5ci4.png

Now some random thoughts from other games:
I don’t like the FULL LOOT loss, however I do like the partial loot loss (just personal opinion). In Tibia you could lose from 0 to all gear pieces you were wearing. But ALWAYS your bag and everything in it.
But you also had a corruption-like system, if you were a RED Skull (that’s bad) you would lose ALL your gear.
And if you were a peaceful player, the other case descripted above. So when you died you would immediately respawn, take a deep breath and see what you had lost… “thank got it were only my boots I lost”.
BUT you could protect yourself from loss of items + bag: For example you take out your BEST ITEMS to the most feared dungeon, you could buy an “Amulet of loss”. This amulet had 1 charge and would be broken upon dieing. This amulet would prevent any loss of items. BUT it was very expensive; as it should be.
(Of course amulet of loss could also be used against gankers)
If you want to be protected, you have to pay up. Something like the real world huh 😉

If corrupted: you decrease your loodrop-rate
Nahh why would you add this? Would a corrupted player go in DEEP in the wild to grind loot/levels? Not with this system. He would just “wait it out” or do save corruption-reducing activities.
No revenge can be taken on this corrupted evil person with the Accountability system described before.. (the “find player” system).

If there's any interest I could go deeper into this and perhaps make a YT video for more and better details.

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    AOC currently has a partial loot corruption system designed to punish repeated gankers within the game by increasing loot lost and decreasing exp gained, as well as scaling back dps the more corruption gained. They also plan to implement a bounty system to encourage players to attack players for a bounty who are corrupted. Those are good systems, however i do like the idea of being capable of getting personal retribution, like this.
    I wonder if it would just result in players abusing other players, streamers having a bad time for example or perhaps high status players within the game would have this spell cast on them so the player base could just follow them around stealing their loot etc?
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    That's assuming that people enjoy PvP combat enough to want revenge by engaging in more PvP combat.
    Corruption shoud work fine for those of us who don't enjoy PvP combat very much and don't want to be forced into PvP combat when we aren't interested in PvP combat.
    We can get instant "revenge" by giving our killers Corruption simply by refusing to fight back.
  • Options
    VissahVissah Member
    Avoxtrium wrote: »
    AOC currently has a partial loot corruption system designed to punish repeated gankers within the game by increasing loot lost and decreasing exp gained, as well as scaling back dps the more corruption gained. They also plan to implement a bounty system to encourage players to attack players for a bounty who are corrupted. Those are good systems, however i do like the idea of being capable of getting personal retribution, like this.
    I wonder if it would just result in players abusing other players, streamers having a bad time for example or perhaps high status players within the game would have this spell cast on them so the player base could just follow them around stealing their loot etc?

Ah thank you for your response!
    Yes I forgot to add this. High-end streamers, or streamers with an x amount of average viewers should be protected. Perhaps their name shouldnt be able to be found with the system described in my post.
    This could be monitored by good GMs/people from Intrepid.

Abuse:
    Of course it can be abused, but now the abusers are known too. Back in Tibia you had people you feared, they misbehaved (within the rules of the game) and later they were eaten up aswell by more fair/peaceful players. This "find player" created so much great more communication.

It makes playernames have so much more depth. If you see a "known ganker" you make sure you get the hell out of there. And why do you know this player? Because of the "find player" system and all that it brings along.

In Tibia there was some form of "respect" to certain players. In Albion Online or New World (for what it's worth) the pvp is still so unpersonal and empty, there's no will to come back better.
    Because if you are a ganker yourself you wont be feared, because pvp are random/anonymous encounters. And if you are ganked you won't have this "I have to grind/get better" feeling because again; you will feel like you were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Anonymous and Random.

• Options
    SylvanarSylvanar Member
    edited May 2022
    The system is interesting but it would need some limitations imposed alongside it to make it viable else the scope of abusing this is too high even with corruption system as it only discourages griefing but still can be made viable with some help.
    Vissah wrote: »
    Yes I forgot to add this. High-end streamers, or streamers with an x amount of average viewers should be protected. Perhaps their name shouldnt be able to be found with the system described in my post.
    Of the top of my head:
    - Can find only the pkers/gankers and not anyone in the world. If X/Y have killed me then I can use this spell to find only X/Y and not Z. This is the minimum limit which would need to be placed on this system. There is no way to implicitly specify who is a streamer and who is not. The limitation has to be generic.

- Some time limit for how long this would enable someone to gank their pkers. Say 2 weeks time or a month.

- Cannot find guilds/social orgs/etc because why should it?

- You lose this systems support if you gain corruption. Lets say X/Y has ganked me and afterwards I grief someone else and gain corruption. Now I would not be able to use this to find X/Y till I lose the corruption and ofc time limit is still applicable.

"Amulet of loss" is a good idea. Maybe it can be a raid-wide reward for killing a world boss so that if they happen to get ganked on their way back to their node they have some safety net.
    Dygz wrote: »
    That's assuming that people enjoy PvP combat enough to want revenge by engaging in more PvP combat.
    The point is that it gives players a choice - You want payback or not, cuz I imagine depending on my mood I would definitely be using this feature.

PS: Do I support this? Hell yes! Pre-launch or as a part of an expansion, either is fine.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • Options
    VissahVissah Member
    edited May 2022
    Sylvanar wrote: »
    The system is interesting but it would need some limitations imposed alongside it to make it viable else the scope of abusing this is too high even with corruption system as it only discourages griefing but still can be made viable with some help.
    Of the top of my head:
    - Can find only the pkers/gankers and not anyone in the world. If X/Y have killed me then I can use this spell to find only X/Y and not Z. This is the minimum limit which would need to be placed on this system. There is no way to implicitly specify who is a streamer and who is not. The limitation has to be generic.
    There can always be conflics between players, then perhaps corrupted players/or players who killed you are a bit more detailed to find and the players who aren't corrupted/have no kill on you are way more "vague" to find, so you would have to be quite dedicated to find this player.

- Some time limit for how long this would enable someone to gank their pkers. Say 2 weeks time or a month.
    Hmm no, because this calls for immediate repercussion. If the player who killed you is like sooo much ahead, how can you take revenge within 2 weeks or month? It makes the "I will grind and have my revenge" factor out of it.

- Cannot find guilds/social orgs/etc because why should it?
    Agree, it's purely player based. But a player can be in a guild-gathering though... So if there's guild wars in the Open World this Find Player can be used.

- You lose this systems support if you gain corruption. Lets say X/Y has ganked me and afterwards I grief someone else and gain corruption. Now I would not be able to use this to find X/Y till I lose the corruption and ofc time limit is still applicable.
    Hmm why? Won't it be "harder" for you to walk around the open world being Corrupted (and so you will be more of a target for anyone you meet) to find someone?

"Amulet of loss" is a good idea. Maybe it can be a raid-wide reward for killing a world boss so that if they happen to get ganked on their way back to their node they have some safety net.
    Yes exactly. Expensive this AoL, but that is the player's problem if you feel like you have to use it.

Maybe if someone "Exiva *Vissah*" me, I get a message that I am being searched?

Thank you for your thoughts.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I'm not sure if I'm for this kind of system cause I feel like it would lead to more abuses now than it did before. The gaming culture has shifted quite a bit, and imo for the worse (or at least it seems like it did).

And like Dygz said, quite a lot of people wouldn't care for the revenge part just because they don't want to participate in the pvp at all. Also, in the current system there'd probably be no real revenge. If a pver gets killed and decides to then go and enact revenge, their killer would just fight back immediately and win, because, the chances are, the PKer has better gear than the pver. And if the pver brings a group of friends with them, the PKer would probably not fight back and make someone from that group become a PKer themselves which would only make life worse for the friend group.

Now I could see some in-lore system that would help out the victims of PKers, where the victim could give the name of a PKer to some religious NPCs in the divine node and the name of the PKer would be shouted by other NPCs of that religion if the PKer enters their "agro range". Similar thing could be done in military nodes with guards or in economic nodes where you'd pay some money to "bribe" guards to warn you about that PKer coming close. And the scientific node could maybe have some quest or require some "knowledge trade" to provide you this service.

Alternatively you could just post the PKer's name on the tavern's postboard and the mayor might be able to relate that info to the node's guards and they'd shout in chat if they saw a "known PKer".
  • Options
    SylvanarSylvanar Member
    edited May 2022
    There can always be conflics between players, then perhaps corrupted players/or players who killed you are a bit more detailed to find and the players who aren't corrupted/have no kill on you are way more "vague" to find, so you would have to be quite dedicated to find this player.

Hmm no, because this calls for immediate repercussion. If the player who killed you is like sooo much ahead, how can you take revenge within 2 weeks or month? It makes the "I will grind and have my revenge" factor out of it.

Agree, it's purely player based. But a player can be in a guild-gathering though... So if there's guild wars in the Open World this Find Player can be used.

Hmm why? Won't it be "harder" for you to walk around the open world being Corrupted (and so you will be more of a target for anyone you meet) to find someone?

Maybe if someone "Exiva *Vissah*" me, I get a message that I am being searched?
    1. Well if we can find anyone then things like caravans would have higher chances of being compromised and there are other system in the game which would end up being compromised as well because of this. Like Nikr said, gaming culture has shifted for the worse and I agree. No reason to give griefers more tools to ruin other players experience.

2. Isn't 1 month more than enough? How long do you think people will hold grudges for this sort of thing? There will be more pkers during this period as well. A person wanting revenge should have a sense of urgency too, I think. Merely my opinion, nothing game breaking otherwise.

3. Finding groups/guilds via finding players is fine. What I meant was it can be used in that way if a player is dedicated enough to go after the guild as well or for whatever reason. But that is through the players initiative and efforts, not via spoon-feeding for no apparent reason.

4. I thought of this as a way to penalize being corrupted, just food for thought.

5. As for informing a person that they are being searched for by some anonymous person is quite evil...hehehe :D Quite a lot of people would be nervous wrecks, though it does bring a sense of excitement with it as well.
    NiKr wrote: »
    The gaming culture has shifted quite a bit, and imo for the worse (or at least it seems like it did).

And like Dygz said, quite a lot of people wouldn't care for the revenge part just because they don't want to participate in the pvp at all. Also, in the current system there'd probably be no real revenge. If a pver gets killed and decides to then go and enact revenge, their killer would just fight back immediately and win, because, the chances are, the PKer has better gear than the pver. And if the pver brings a group of friends with them, the PKer would probably not fight back and make someone from that group become a PKer themselves which would only make life worse for the friend group.
    It sure has taken a turn for worse. Its not just you.

Its just a system facilitating revenge against your griefers. Its entirely upto you to make use of it or not. Not to mention if you grief someone there is a chance that they might come after you too. If a player is not confident in their PvP skills then dont go after your pker and that's the end of that.

That is a nice twist of how to implement this, but the OP has proposed providing general direction only, nothing else. As there is no fast travel in AoC and distance is not specified, not to mention the risk of open world PvP, it is going to be risky chasing your griefer as well. So it will take some gut, time and skill to enact revenge.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2022
    A way to track an individual person so you can find them and kill them?

Explain to me how this isn't going to just better enable the type of ganking game play you wish to reduce, a system where a person wanting to gank you just needs to use this spell to find you themselves?
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Just to spitball off of this you could use this to find specific crafters/breeders too. I do like the idea of it being extremely vague though. Compass directions with a vague distance gauge sounds good. Haven't thought it through much though. Might not work with some of the pvp stuff but interesting idea
  • Options
    WhiskyWhisky Member
    Avoxtrium wrote: »

That is exactly what I see happening. It would not be used as intended just for greifing.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I believe such searching system would do more harm than good as it would open up room for targettered persecution, and would mess with already expected system such as the corruption system in general and the bounty hunter system.

I like the idea of personal accountability for the corrupted fiends through their names becoming recognized, but i believe this should be a organic process of infamy that spreads through player knowledge, rumors and experience, and not through an enforced game information system.

From personal experience in Lineage 2, i can assure you infamy will naturaly come for those who missbehave around.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would prefer that we can just post messages in taverns and nodes. WANTED messages, perhaps offering a reward, for players (just like the wild west). Messages looking for crafters who know certain recipes, or by crafters offering to craft certain items. Messages looking for high level clerics of a certain religion who have a rare religious ability....
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    The corruption system and designing a system around player intent certainly poses quite the challenge for our design team.

This thread has been a great deep dive into an interesting interpretation of how this system could work! Great conversation, everyone 😃
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    Seems fun, but it should be something hard to aquire, not free for everybody.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    As usual, with any suggestions like this that players make, I immediately start to think of ways to use the suggestion that are unintended.

The first one I came up with - and so the most obvious to me - is that you could use it to see if the local caravan annoyance is online or not. Whether a person or a guild, this system would allow you to gain information on them to help with a decision as to whether or not you want to run that caravan you have ready now, or wait for later.

It could also assist in uncovering a spy in your guild.

At an absolute minimum, a system like this should tell the person that the player in question is looking for them.
  • Options
    So we all agree that this “sense of danger” in the open world is what we want from Ashes of Creation. Unlike “always progress” in most modern 3d MMORPGS.
    Cheers!

Yes, this is the Ultima Online from the 90s is still the best MMORPG ever.

Why ganking is important to any healthy MMO that has was:
    -it is assymetrical war
    -clears the game of botters, afk players, macroers, gold farmers and so making a healthier economy
    -prevent's dangerous greedy people from achievement economical might
    -creates content
    -creates the sense of danger
    -creates more styles of gameplay like: baiting, man hunting, street justice, vendettas, etc
    -for fightting against opressors, sometimes the new players can only deal with old players by ganking

No ganker should receive any kind of penalty, in many cases gankers are the server's heroes.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    No ganker should receive any kind of penalty, in many cases gankers are the server's heroes.
    Will you, by any chance, be playing a Summoner/Cleric?
  • Options
    i dont like the find player idea. you gonna die while u alt tab :dizzy: and it also ruins the adrenaline rush
    also, its pretty obvious when someone will try to attack you before they do...and if it isnt..dont worry it will be after playing the game for a while :D