Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

PvP Zerg Trains VS Solo PvP

edited May 2022 in General Discussion
I would consider myself a PvP veteran in both Guild Wars (PC) and ESO (PS4), but mainly in ESO. And even though i love playing MMO's, i do prefer PvP'ing solo but occasionally join smaller groups if i'm in the mood. I do hope with AOC that the developers won't push zerg trains as heavy as Arenanet and Zenimax does in their games. Not only does it increase crazy lag in those areas, but it becomes boring, repetitive and calculated.

When i solo PvP, i usually take out pugs who got a little too far away from their group while their group tries to seige a castle. Or stalling an enemy group of players while waiting for reinforcement to arrive so they can take out the rest. What typically happens is that they start chasing my annoying tanky self around and i take them out one by one. And i love playing that solo role in open PvP maps.

I feel solo PvP or small group PvP'ers are always left out, while large groups and zergs are always encouraged.
m6jque7ofxxf.gif

Comments

• NiKrNiKr Member
    The game will be balanced for group pvp, so most likely it'll be closer to zerg-like fights rather than single pvpers running around and picking people off. No one's stopping you from trying though. L2 was also party-balanced, but buffs allowed some of the more OP pvp classes to fight against smaller groups. Considering bards will be present in Ashes too, I'd assume smth similar will work here as well.
  • NiKr wrote: »
    The game will be balanced for group pvp, so most likely it'll be closer to zerg-like fights rather than single pvpers running around and picking people off. No one's stopping you from trying though. L2 was also party-balanced, but buffs allowed some of the more OP pvp classes to fight against smaller groups. Considering bards will be present in Ashes too, I'd assume smth similar will work here as well.

Totally get you, i just hope the PvP mechanics forces larger groups to spread out some. Example: To take control of X castle, part of the group need to take control of X amount of flag points or nearby outposts. Just an example. Spamming zerg trains just looks ridiculous and there's no strategy really behind it.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Totally get you, i just hope the PvP mechanics forces larger groups to spread out some. Example: To take control of X castle, part of the group need to take control of X amount of flag points or nearby outposts. Just an example. Spamming zerg trains just looks ridiculous and there's no strategy really behind it.
    Steven even talked about small instanced fights for groups of potential mercenaries during sieges. And there'll be several goals during a siege so I'd assume good big guilds will definitely split up into smaller parts and try to attack several places at the same time.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Sieges
  • There will probably be grinding spots more beneficial for solo grinding with weaker monsters and grinding spots with stronger monsters that will require full-party/smaller groups to deal with.
    So i believe you will probably find 1v1s and such at solo grinding spots.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well, Node Sieges aren't really Guild v Guild.
    Castle Sieges kind of are, but even then, it's more likely to be Alliance v Alliance.

Sieges and Caravans are objective-based, so... I would not be chasing an individual away from an objective.
    But, I suppose you might be able to entice some people to focus on you instead of the objectives.

Ashes is not balanced for 1v1 combat. And it's Rock/Paper/Scissors.
    I would hope the person who chooses to chase you is a Paper to your Rock.
    Or, at least, a Rock to your Rock.
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    solo and small group always the best imo since your more likly to get fun fights zerg fest running around u dont find many decent fights cause you roll them. however they can be fun when you know your gonna hit an evenish size group.
  • edited May 2022
    Veeshan wrote: »
    solo and small group always the best imo since your more likly to get fun fights zerg fest running around u dont find many decent fights cause you roll them. however they can be fun when you know your gonna hit an evenish size group.

I agree! I don't see any fun with big zergs because you're not really fighting and you don't have to be skilled to zerg. Rather be in small organized groups with dedicated classes.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • BracuBracu Member
    what is a zerg for you? 10+? 20-30 players? 100?
    i think alot of neat pvp will be around caverans which wont be " zerg like "
    so either gank an enemy guild and steal their goods, or get your squat together to transport your valuables.
    i hope for sieges there will be objectives that you can achive with smaller groups too.

i agree with you that 1v1 pvpers might be " left out a bit " but on the other hand i really think there will be plenty of 3-10 player pvp happening
    AoC hype
  • edited May 2022
    Bracu wrote: »
    so either gank an enemy guild and steal their goods, or get your squat together to transport your valuables.
    i hope for sieges there will be objectives that you can achive with smaller groups too.

i agree with you that 1v1 pvpers might be " left out a bit " but on the other hand i really think there will be plenty of 3-10 player pvp happening

Here is an example of a zerg train in GW2.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1gpobvnFko

There's obviously a strategy involved in video above, but there's no skill involved. Just spamming. And i am 100% sure that these players are weak by themselves, because that's the purpose of a zerg. A zergling is a weak player, but in a large group of zerglings they are powerful.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Bracu wrote: »

Here's fun 1vX PvP that i love in ESO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMCssWeWmeo
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    And here's what I see as zerg (though still somewhat small imo)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwYSPH7uGEw
  • NiKr wrote: »
    And here's what I see as zerg (though still somewhat small imo)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwYSPH7uGEw

Hah! Gross!
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif