Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

PVP - Name plate - Affiliation

VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
edited May 2022 in General Discussion
I know health bars will be hidden for enemies but do we know if we can toggle our names off to hide who we are and our affiliation? The reason I wonder is because of the opportunity to attack a caravan indiscreetly or something of the like. It would allow for more rogue like gameplay. Obviously a potential double edged sword.

Comments

• NiKrNiKr Member
    I'd hope we can't. Your reputation should mean a lot so you shouldn't circumvent that by hiding your name/affiliations in different situations.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Well unless you assume that a player hiding their nameplate is a player with a reputation that would elicit being attacked. Then you have to roll the dice and gauge the probability as to whether this is an ill-reputed player that NEEDS to be killed, because who knows what they are up to in your node. OR maybe they are just role-playing.

I think this is a much more interesting system than a little light bulb telling you what to do.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    edited May 2022
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Well unless you assume that a player hiding their nameplate is a player with a reputation that would elicit being attacked. Then you have to roll the dice and gauge the probability as to whether this is an ill-reputed player that NEEDS to be killed, because who knows what they are up to in your node. OR maybe they are just role-playing.

I think this is a much more interesting system than a little light bulb telling you what to do.
    It's a double-edged sword. On one side we have potential spyish gameplay and fun rp stuff, while on the other side we have potential PKers wearing shitty clothes coming close to a casual player to kill them while seeing the attacker's name might've indicated to the casual player that they should either prepare to fight or to just run immediately.

There's also all the interactions with node/guild wars members and "kill on sight" guild orders for other guild's members and other similar stuff, where hiding your name would either give you a huge advantage or just add disruption to the intended gameplay.

Now you could have different limitations on the system and enable its use only in particular situations, but then we gotta have a discussion of "how much should a super limited mechanic get developed, if at all". I could maybe see this kind of thing get implemented in a later expansion to spice up the somewhat stale regular gameplay, but not on release.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Yep, I hear you. Just another reason why I prefer really limited indicators for nameplates and targeting others. Keeps you on your toes and make the world that much more dangerous.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Yep, I hear you. Just another reason why I prefer really limited indicators for nameplates and targeting others. Keeps you on your toes and make the world that much more dangerous.

Having to stay on your toes and all that is great for games that are limited duration matches.

For an actual open world game where people may want to spend 8 hours or more at a time in game though (we all get days off, right?) it makes it hard work.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Why would casual players not be hiding their nameplates?