Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Resource Gathering/Processing/Crafting

First I want to state that this is both a discussion and a question into possible plans for the game. First off the resource gathering, will it be on open worlds with the rarer materials being in more difficult places and/ow will their be mine type areas with strong enemies and even rarer materials or what do you think the gathering process should involve? Processing, you have said the facilities will be available in cities but will they also be available for player housing? Do you have plans for special processing facilities is dangerous areas and/or dungeons? Crafting, for this I am not going to ask all the questions I want to as they are to specific so I will stick to generic questions. You have said that crafting should be a commitment but does that mean that the crafting will be harder while the material gathering is easier? Since you also seem to believe so strongly that crafting masters should be in high demand but will you have weapons and gear that will always be in demand even for the most dedicated of players? What I mean by this is do you plan to have weapons that will take the weeks or even months effort will a entire guild working to get the items just to make it something that people will dream of other than just being in a guild with a large hall that you will always dream of and is worth the time of everyone that was involved?

Comments

• <em>I've taken the liberty to seperate your text into several sections! Baer with me</em>

<strong>What should the gathering process be like?</strong>

I think you've already made several great suggestions. I would love seeing a diversity in ressource distribution. Same areas should offer certain ressources that other areas might not have. Trade and economy in general should play a major role in world building.

<strong>Facilities?</strong>

Nodes will probably offer crafting stations for your daily needs. I would love seeing crafting stations in Guild Halls or Guild Houses - or whatever they will be called. In Player Housing, not so sure. No, actually - I'd rather see crafting stations in Nodes, cities, open spaces. (But that's only my personal preference)
    I really like your 'dangerous place' idea!
    I think it would be great for, maybe a "special altar" to only spawn after a certain world boss is killed or by sneaking through a dangerous passage.
    <strong>
    What is my worth?</strong>

Well, that fellow hunter depends on what we make of the world!

<strong>Progression? Weapons / Gear</strong>

I like the idea of certain aspects taking longer. Especially gear that is of higher tier / rarity should take longer to obtain. Legendary gear shouldn't be something which can be obtained by doing Dungeon XY ten times in a row. Everyone should have the opportunity to obtain the necessary items to crafting legendary gear. My biggest concern or whish would be for players that don't play as frequently to not be left behind.

~ Zention
  • When I say that their are item that I want to take a massive effort to get that isn't based on RnG i'm talking about the most powerful items in the game which I do not mean that they are needed in anyway to be a great asset in a fight/raid. In my opinion their should be a couple of stages or end-game equipment. Some examples are gear which will make you able to complete said objective as part of a team without being a liability. Another set that will make you a crucial front-runner of the fight and would make everyone more or less try to work in tandem with you. Then a set that only the most dedicated players with people helping will have that will essentially make them the worth of 2 people. Well thats just sort of a general out look on how I would personally like to see the gear be in end-game.
  • First of all I don't think they want to add the "massively OP gear" aspect, in any shape or form. It just doesnt seem like thats the plan.

Somewhere they mentioned that they will have a very meaning full durability system, that will basicly make crafters valuable, somehow idk how though. Most of the details remain to be seen.

Regarding the "commitment" part, its seems they kinda want you to specialize, thats the commitment part. If you truly wanna be the best blacksmith in the swords department you can more or less only work in that... The materials you are gonna use are not easy to get either, thats part of the caravans (i think at least), so you can't just pick up 5k ores and run to a city, you take a little at a time and store it in the nearest city, and then move it by caravan, alternatively you use the materials yourself or sell them. (<- my best guess as to how it will work so far).

I dont think there will be any single piece of gear that takes a bunch of time to make, it probably gonna be more of group artifacts "horn of something" or "siege engine of doom", whatever but things that affect a larger group might take longer to make.

[quote quote=3375]
    I think it would be great for, maybe a “special altar” to only spawn after a certain world boss is killed or by sneaking through a dangerous passage.
    [/quote]

Always liked that idea, I had hopes that it would work really well in ESO, but sadly it never really became what I hoped for. Who wouldn't want to smith in the "fires of doom", or sew a dress in the "forest of whispers" ;) I just want some unique areas for crafting, so once you master something you can still find something interesting to do, instead of just grinding the same late game gear forever :)
  • Ive always thought that a good way of making the best gear in game attainable was through dungeons but to go with that, making all gear improvable by high end crafters. This makes both end-game raids and crafting viable.

The idea for "special altars" is nice and I agree With @Julemanden that it didnt quite work with ESO. I wonder if a hybrid system would work? Best gear in game drops from bosses OR could be created by crafters at these special altars (but would of course need insane requirements as far as crafter skill and ingredients required).
  • [quote quote=3398]Ive always thought that a good way of making the best gear in game attainable was through dungeons but to go with that, making all gear improvable by high end crafters. This makes both end-game raids and crafting viable.

The idea for “special altars” is nice and I agree With <a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/users/julemanden/" rel="nofollow">@julemanden</a> that it didnt quite work with ESO. I wonder if a hybrid system would work? Best gear in game drops from bosses OR could be created by crafters at these special altars (but would of course need insane requirements as far as crafter skill and ingredients required).

[/quote]
    IMO it's wierd that the best gear is in dungeons, that gear would be made somehow right? So who made it and why can't you make it yourself?

But being able to make the same gear as you get in the dungeon is fine, with the added ability to improve it :) As long as the dungeon or PvP is a bottleneck for getting gear then its fine with me.
  • I wanted to open up a discussion regarding Skilling and how it can influence the regional and global economy.

This idea was inspired by the thought of: Most things in AoC have consequences, it should be no different for player gear, will weapons/armor (if not repaired in time) break? Will my sword literally break in half and become less useful.
    In most games in order to repair an item you can go to any shop NPC and repair the item for an amount of gold based on the damages of the weapon.
    In order to create this player influenced economy and incentivize players to focus on higher end skilling, I think there should be player owned Shops based on skill profession, the higher level your smithing level the better your shop will yield results for players who repair or buy items from you.

Having NPC's that can repair anything regardless of item level will never be replaced as some people may want to have that convenience. But if a player decides to have their weapons/armor repaired at a higher level player owned Smith it will provide benefits over that of the NPC's shop.
    Example: A player repairs his sword at a high level player owned smith, the weapon that was repaired has a 30 or 60 minute buff to damage. (armors would be buffed in defense, etc). This would also benefit the players not only because of the Buff but also organically remind them they need to repair their items and prevent something to completely break.

The idea is to reward people who prefer Skilling and Economic gameplay. This same method can be used for other skills such as Gathering or Processing. But would Primarily focus on rewarding the Crafting professions.

This is just a rough thought but i wanted to open it up to conversation to see what thoughts came out of it.
  • [quote quote=3557]I wanted to open up a discussion regarding Skilling and how it can influence the regional and global economy.

This idea was inspired by the thought of: Most things in AoC have consequences, it should be no different for player gear, will weapons/armor (if not repaired in time) break? Will my sword literally break in half and become less useful.
    In most games in order to repair an item you can go to any shop NPC and repair the item for an amount of gold based on the damages of the weapon.
    In order to create this player influenced economy and incentivize players to focus on higher end skilling, I think there should be player owned Shops based on skill profession, the higher level your smithing level the better your shop will yield results for players who repair or buy items from you.

Having NPC’s that can repair anything regardless of item level will never be replaced as some people may want to have that convenience. But if a player decides to have their weapons/armor repaired at a higher level player owned Smith it will provide benefits over that of the NPC’s shop.
    Example: A player repairs his sword at a high level player owned smith, the weapon that was repaired has a 30 or 60 minute buff to damage. (armors would be buffed in defense, etc). This would also benefit the players not only because of the Buff but also organically remind them they need to repair their items and prevent something to completely break.

The idea is to reward people who prefer Skilling and Economic gameplay. This same method can be used for other skills such as Gathering or Processing. But would Primarily focus on rewarding the Crafting professions.

This is just a rough thought but i wanted to open it up to conversation to see what thoughts came out of it.

[/quote]

Players will already be required to repair gears max durability and the crafting system itself will follow a trinity like system, as well as require having certain nodes unlocked for crafters to gain access to better materials and forges and such. Some stuff will only be able be crafted in certain regions to boot. Full details will most likely be given out at somepoint during next month :)
  • For me the idea of consequences is to go hand in hand with mutual dependence.

The economy cant flourish unless gear/tools needs to be made.
    If gear/tools dont break, nothing needs to be replaced
    [As sooner or later everyone gets what they want and rarely change unless something better comes along.
    Thus you have no choice but new players OR vertical progression + gear grind if nothing breaks]
    If nothing needs to be replaced there is no economy.
    No economy means crafters sit on their arse all day.
    And vertical progression just creates power gaps.
    If the power gaps are too high, new players wont come either.
    No way around it.

So for me stuff 'must' decay, ware out and break (with a deconstruction option to recover some materials form the broken item).
    Repairs wont work for the reasons above.
    Then we dont need vertical progression or a constant stream of new players to feed the market.
    Just imagine if your stuff never wore out or broke in real life.
    No one would buy anything....unless there was upgrades.
    No sales, no jobs, no pay, no consumer to buy goods, no economy.

We see the same problem with economies failing due to automation.
    No employees = No consumers = No sales.

<ul>
    Should there be legendary gear ?
    </ul>

Tough question. If its a token gesture I dont mind.
    For this though, I would have greater power = more stressed and more likely to break.
    It would also require rarer materials thats more difficult to source depending on upgrade stage.
    They should be a shooting star.......with but a moment of rememberable glory.....used in moments of desperation.
  • I would agree I would rather have gear break and create new to replace it rather than have a system like Archeage where it is pure RNG and can end up just being rage inducing to gear up. I would hope for a crafting system somewhere between star wars galaxies and Vanguard. So that its challenging yet interesting to raise, but not too the point that it gets boring or too tedious that you end up despising it .
  • my opinion
    basic material : spawn in wild,u can harvest everywhere
    medium material : get from boss loot,trees,plant,gathering facility
    high material : set up some dungeon to spawn them like uranium,the dungeon spawn 5 uranium per day for the guild who own/dominate the dungeon.this force players to co-operate in guild form to get high material and push the pvp in server into a whole new lvl =]]
    processing shouldn't be a problem
    please don't have the fking stupid LP system like archeage it's a huge pain in da ass
    crafting should be
    basic material : craft items for lvl 10-20
    medium material : craft items for lvl 20-30
    high material : craft items for lvl 30 and above
    depend on the game speed u want to push the pvp to early lvl or later
  • I want SWG like crafting and gathering system. There was nothing better for crafting.