Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Balancing guilds with solo play

Comments

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited June 2022
    Dygz wrote: »
    If you dislike Ashes, don't play.

I agree if you don't like a game with a focus on guilds and social elements don't play ~~

Sarcasm off.

Its simply about managing expectations, if you don't want to do any kind of group content and guilds you will have less content for you. Forcing single player elements on having things scale to a solo experience or enjoying perks from guilds without having a big reason for it isn't going to make the game better, it take away from the content.
  • Options
    Karthos wrote: »
    "I don't want to be social in a game that at it's central core requires the players to interact with others and be social".

I've never understood what people with this mentality even see when they look at an MMO, what makes them want to play a game that basically all but REQUIRES you to get involved with other people, group up, be social, rely on other players, ect. There's other games that will cater to this style of game play much better, we don't need to water down games to accommodate these confused people.

Maybe you just don't want to play MMORPGs.... This is like going to a Mexican Restaurant and saying "I don't like Mexican food, please make me a hamburger".

I hear Bethesda is releasing Elder Scrolls 6 soon-ish, and I'm sure you can probably play Skyrim on your Apple Watch here soon.

I think you're missing the intent
    Because some people love MMOs but their life doesn't allow for the regularity that some guilds want from members.
    I want to be social and play when I can, but I'm not reliable to always be there for the group...

Personally I'd love to see some sort of system for this, either as a merc guild. Or through job boards in nodes.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2022
    Or just don't join a group or a guild and still enjoy Ashes - since Ashes game design already supports that playstyle.
    Solo play is not synonymus with singe-player - especially not in Ashes - since everything we do in the game contributes to Node progression.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Because some people love MMOs but their life doesn't allow for the regularity that some guilds want from members.
    I want to be social and play when I can, but I'm not reliable to always be there for the group...
    Find another guild? It's not like there's a single damn guild on the server. And even if you can't find a guild like that, make a guild like that. And then find people who play the same way you do. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

What I don't understand is coming to a game that doesn't appeal to your playstyle and instead of trying to adapt to its gameplay, you instead ask the whole damn game to change to your preference. I find that quite selfish.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2022
    "I don't want to be social in a game that at it's central core requires the players to interact with others and be social".

I've never understood what people with this mentality even see when they look at an MMO, what makes them want to play a game that basically all but REQUIRES you to get involved with other people, group up, be social, rely on other players, ect. There's other games that will cater to this style of game play much better, we don't need to water down games to accommodate these confused people.

Maybe you just don't want to play MMORPGs.... This is like going to a Mexican Restaurant and saying "I don't like Mexican food, please make me a hamburger".

I hear Bethesda is releasing Elder Scrolls 6 soon-ish, and I'm sure you can probably play Skyrim on your Apple Watch here soon.

Personally I'd love to see some sort of system for this, either as a merc guild. Or through job boards in nodes.

I'm really not missing any intent. There's just some things you can't engage in given your life style, or the choices you've made for your life.

I'll never be a deep sea welder. I've made choices that would no longer allow me to have the time or physical ability to be welding deep at sea.

Now, do I just accept this and move on with my life, and try other activities that I do have the lifestyle for? Or do I demand they make deep sea welding more accessible to me by bringing it to the surface, sticking it on dry land, and alter it from welding to sanding?
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options

Why having a system for Mercing is bad for a mmorpg.

1. Mercing is already a thing within a mmorpg without needing it, you form alliances, you talk to people, make deals if you need to do such, talk to other guilds and groups.
    2. Having a Merc system is a casual element that simply allows people to be solo while at times gaining the perks of a guild. Having more incentive for people to stay as solo and not join guilds does not help the overall social economy
    3. It doesn't tie any risk or responsibility to the players as they jump into pvp attacking places and people without having consequences for themselves (ie if you are part of a siege or pvp someone, people often remembers your guild)
    4. System toxic people often use because they cause issues for other people and can't stay in a guild.
    5. Rather then pushing people to form guilds and getting into a good one (hopefully at some point) it further pushes them to stay solo and not interact with people. This also can be harmful to smaller guilds having a harder time to recruit more people with a large pool preferring to stay solo rather then experience a more fitting guild.
    6. Solo players don't add as much interesting content as guilds and would reduce the amount of meaningful guilds, the drama, fun times, and good content that comes with it all.
    7. Guilds can try to use the merc system to destroy guilds for their own benefit and get additional rewards. It can be used in a good amount of ways (in a bad sense)
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited June 2022
    Long story short this is what I see.

Mmorpg with millions of players, and out of every single person and group I can't work any single one so ima just play solo.

-___-
  • Options
    Your Node Citizenship will honestly be more important than any Guild. You are by no means required to join a guild to enjoy all that Ashes has to offer. Now, you likely WILL need to play in a group from time to time as the game will be balanced for parties, not solo, so you may find some content difficult (or impossible) completely solo.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    I've said this before on a different thread. The reason I would want an adventures guild or mercenary guild where I can join in and work with different guilds is because I don't want to settle down in a specific node.
    I play MMOs to explore and see different things. So something that allows me to go to a different continent and sell my services as a body guard or something while I'm there sounds like it belongs in the game.

But maybe there will be a way to run a world wide guild or something? so if the game doesn't have the function, someone can make a guild to fill in the missing spot.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    I'll never be a deep sea welder. I've made choices that would no longer allow me to have the time or physical ability to be welding deep at sea.

There's a whole stand-up routine somewhere in the wings there...

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited June 2022
    I've said this before on a different thread. The reason I would want an adventures guild or mercenary guild where I can join in and work with different guilds is because I don't want to settle down in a specific node.
    I play MMOs to explore and see different things. So something that allows me to go to a different continent and sell my services as a body guard or something while I'm there sounds like it belongs in the game.

But maybe there will be a way to run a world wide guild or something? so if the game doesn't have the function, someone can make a guild to fill in the missing spot.

You can only be a citizen of one node....

And nothing is stopping you from travelling wherever you want in the world, how does that have anything to do with being tied down to a location. You can literarily message whoever you want and get them to give you gold and protect them. You can make mercenary / adventuring guild and do that very thing. It doesn't need a weird system so anyone can merc and and not have a reason to be in a actual guild.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »

And nothing is stopping you from travelling wherever you want in the world, how does that have anything to do with being tied down to a location. You can literarily message whoever you want and get them to give you gold and protect them. You can make mercenary / adventuring guild and do that very thing. It doesn't need a weird system so anyone can merc and and not have a reason to be in a actual guild.

I know you can only be a citizen in one node, but just staying there to only support that node sounds like it would get boring to me personally... So I want to go do other events around the world.
    Just because I can travel everywhere doesn't mean I'll have a group to do content with all around the world. Hence where that adventurers guild function would be cool. I've been hired 100 times to guard a caravan with a 90% success rate so I'm a gold rank adventurer with the guild. And when I'm in a foreign node(not my home node) I can still get in with groups looking for members to assist.

The OP was asking for thoughts on a system for something like that
    I think it would be cool and have a place in the world
  • Options

I know you can only be a citizen in one node, but just staying there to only support that node sounds like it would get boring to me personally... So I want to go do other events around the world.
    Just because I can travel everywhere doesn't mean I'll have a group to do content with all around the world. Hence where that adventurers guild function would be cool. I've been hired 100 times to guard a caravan with a 90% success rate so I'm a gold rank adventurer with the guild. And when I'm in a foreign node(not my home node) I can still get in with groups looking for members to assist.

You are making weird points to try and push your reason so people can avoid being in guilds that make 0 sense. You can travel wherever you want...do quest wherever you want...people and guilds will be down to work anywhere and explore new places...You can help people wherever you find people.
  • Options
    People do it in lsot ark all the time, buy a healer for 2k gold per person. And honestly i think its stupid, i dont want a system in game that pushes that more, that can be left up to the players. Which anyone in guild will not need that lmao
  • Options

You are making weird points to try and push your reason so people can avoid being in guilds that make 0 sense. You can travel wherever you want...do quest wherever you want...people and guilds will be down to work anywhere and explore new places...You can help people wherever you find people.

If I joined a guild and went to the opposite side of the map I can't do stuff with my guild... Because they won't have a presence in that area... I wanna do some runs in the local dungeon.
    Ok so do I just stand in town square and /yell?
    Or maybe at the local tavern there is a job board where a group is looking for a healer posted a want add... That's still adding a system for building groups.
    What's wrong with a system that works hand in hand with that to show credentials that you would be a good hire? That could be the mercenary ladder system... Sounds good to me

• Options
    edited June 2022
    NiKr wrote: »
    What I don't understand is coming to a game that doesn't appeal to your playstyle and instead of trying to adapt to its gameplay, you instead ask the whole damn game to change to your preference. I find that quite selfish.
    I mean...Ashes does appeal to his playstyle.
    Easy enough to find and join a casual guild where you aren't required to participate in stuff.
    Advertise your mercenary interest in Taverns.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Easy enough to find and join a casual guild where you aren't required to participate in stuff.
    I mean, if he wanted to do that, he could've, because yes, the game does appeal to him. But instead of doing all of that, the first thing he does is asks for the game to change to his preferences of being completely solo in an mmo yet getting all the great content and same achievements as guilds would.

Or at least it definitely came off like that to me.
  • Options
    MerekMerek Member
    Your idea is interesting but singular players are meaningless. You're not worth the value compared to a guilds zerg that mindlessly do as they're told. This applies to all MMO's, numbers always win. You can play the game solo but as others have said, you'll never be a top player. There are definitely certain raids, dungeons and mechanics that revolve around smaller groups, so don't be too worried about the heavy guild presence.

I personally avoid guilds in MMO's as they're the most obnoxious part of them, I'll usually join, reap the rewards and leave when I see the right opportunity, maybe this would suit your playstyle? It's basically mercenary work.
  • Options
    derp wrote: »
    In which ways do you think solo play can be balanced so that solo players/small teams of friends can still choose this path?

As a solo player myself, I'll try to be as honest as I can: if you try to play AoC as a solo player, you won't be irrelevant, but you'll miss on a lot, if not most, of the content. If you play the game with a small group of friends, i.e. a small guild with less than 15 members, you should be fine as long as you try not to fight the bigger groups.

I'm not a fan of zergs, but I don't believe the game will enable small guilds to do top tier PvE content, simply because of how "forced PvP" (PKing) will probably work (something similar to L2), where numbers will usually matter more than skill/gear, and also because there will be 40 man raids.

I do hope, however, that the game will enable smaller guilds to achieve big goals and have fun due to good game design, a very big changing map, procedural/random world events and some artificial incentives (guild perks, etc) for smaller guilds.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    derp wrote: »
    I have seen a lot about the exciting guild incentives and mechanics planned for AOC which I am all for. My only concern is that this may require an environment whereby you HAVE to align yourself with a guild to be relevant in the game. Personally as a solo player I'm of the opinion that joining a guild should always be out of choice, not necessity. In which ways do you think solo play can be balanced so that solo players/small teams of friends can still choose this path?

One idea I propose is that solo players could carry out as questline to become a mercenary. Mercenaries would be neutral alignment but could be hired by guilds to assist in seiges and bosses etc. This way solo players are not gated away from content but likewise are still able to enjoy soloplay when they choose to.

Just as guilds can acquire reputation, so could mercenaries. At higher reputation levels your price as a mercanary would automatically increase. Reputation would be based on successful "missions"(hires) and feedback from guild seniors (e.g. a simple rating system).

Just as there will be a leaderboard for guilds, there could be s leaderboard for mercenaries. Perhaps this system would be tied to military nodes.

What are your thoughts?

Just join a more relaxed guild, they will be perfectly fine with you not constantly socializing/playing with them, most likely due to the fact that everyone else in the guild is in the same boots as you. There are multiple guilds like this recruiting on the Ashes of Creation discord.
    People acting like this is some sort of an issue, when it's not. Just don't join a hardcore guild and you will be fine. In a hardcore guild you'd have duties to perform, but in a relaxed guild you can pretty much just chill and join activities whenever you want (and whenever there are people online to play of course).
  • Options
    NorkoreNorkore Member
    edited June 2022
    Find another guild? It's not like there's a single damn guild on the server. And even if you can't find a guild like that, make a guild like that. And then find people who play the same way you do. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

100% agree. I hate it how people from other MMOs come here and demand changes in this game. I'm shocked by the level of narcissism and selfishness.
  • Options

This is not goblin slayer lmao. And yes that is exactly what you do, you go to the zone or dungeon and see the people and groups around and jump in one.

Im tired of the hand held bullcrap auto que and 0 reason to be social in a mmorpg. Like you 100% give me the vibe you want to join a group say nothing do content and leave. Which i doubt anyone would have someone like that as a body guard to begin with.

If you honestly hate staying in a spot or with a guild just leave the guild move places and join another guild. But i can promise you there are amazing experiences you are missing out on looking at people like Ai then actually trying to form some kind of bond.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I mean, if he wanted to do that, he could've, because yes, the game does appeal to him. But instead of doing all of that, the first thing he does is asks for the game to change to his preferences of being completely solo in an mmo yet getting all the great content and same achievements as guilds would.

Or at least it definitely came off like that to me.
    I don't know that it's much of a change. It's a suggestion.
    And, might be something that's already possible... or close enough to it.
    He didn't say anything about being completely solo. He also didn't say anything about getting all the same achievements as guilds would - which is impossible since small guilds cannot get all of the perks of a small guild and a large guild cannot get all of the perks of a small guild.

There is a progession path that tracks wins for defending and/or attacking Caravans.
    So, some of what he asked for is aready in the design:
    "I've been hired 100 times to guard a caravan with a 90% success rate so I'm a gold rank adventurer with the guild. And when I'm in a foreign node (not my home node) I can still get in with groups looking for members to assist."
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Merek wrote: »
    Your idea is interesting but singular players are meaningless. You're not worth the value compared to a guilds zerg that mindlessly do as they're told. This applies to all MMO's, numbers always win. You can play the game solo but as others have said, you'll never be a top player. There are definitely certain raids, dungeons and mechanics that revolve around smaller groups, so don't be too worried about the heavy guild presence.

I personally avoid guilds in MMO's as they're the most obnoxious part of them, I'll usually join, reap the rewards and leave when I see the right opportunity, maybe this would suit your playstyle? It's basically mercenary work.
    Well, no....in Ashes solo play is not meaningless - especially because everything an individual does contributes to Node progression.
    You don't have to be part of a guild to participate significantly to a Caravan defense or attack.
    You don't have to be part of a guild to participate significantly to a Node Siege defense or attack.
    You do have to be part of a guild to participate in Castle Siege defense or attack.

Ashes plans to deter zergs. And Steven plans to design such that large group combat is not mindless.

I don't know that derp or SirChancelot said anything about being a top player.
    derp says he wants to be relevant - which is not synonymus with being a "top player".
    SirChancelot mentions being recognized for having a 90% win rate for Caravans - which is possible in the current design.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I don't know that it's much of a change. It's a suggestion.
    And, might be something that's already possible... or close enough to it.
    He didn't say anything about being completely solo. He also didn't say anything about getting all the same achievements as guilds would - which is impossible since small guilds cannot get all of the perks of a small guild and a large guild cannot get all of the perks of a small guild.

There is a progession path that tracks wins for defending and/or attacking Caravans.
    So, some of what he asked for is aready in the design:
    "I've been hired 100 times to guard a caravan with a 90% success rate so I'm a gold rank adventurer with the guild. And when I'm in a foreign node (not my home node) I can still get in with groups looking for members to assist."
    Guess I'm just projecting my own view of "guilded vs solo gameplay" onto his suggestion. I've already told him that there'll be general solo content like artisan stuff and maybe some solo mobs/questing, and, as you've pointed out, potentially caravans, but most of the top lvl content would be behind guilds.

In order to get great gear to be a great merc you'd probably need to be in a guild already. If by some chance you're are a pro at artisanal stuff and market gameplay, you might be able to buy some stuff, but I highly doubt that you'll be able to buy high lvl gear anywhere near the first several months of the game because guilds would be equipping their own people.

And even in a lot of artisan professions, I'd assume you'd need some support structure at higher lvls because you'll come across pvp competition or resource scarcity because some of the resources will be controlled by guilds (maybe not completely, but we'll have to see the design first to know for sure).

And if I was a top lvl guild, I wouldn't use a rando off the street in some important pvp event or a raid. And in order to become a trust-worthy merc, you'd either have to be in a merc guild that has built up its rep or you'd have to intermingle with a ton of guilds and their members, in order to build your own solo reputation. But at that point you're just "doing what the guild tells you" all the time, so I feel like that would kinda defeat the point of this thread.

The caravans would probably be the easiest way to earn good rep, but you'd most likely have to have friends to increase your chances of success. And we still don't know how Intrepid will prevent some exploits of that system, so there might be some problems for a solo player there too.
  • Options
    I don't know what "top lvl content" means.

Even as a citizen of a Node, we aren't stuck only doing things in that Node.
    Our home Node will send us on quests and tasks around the world.
    So, even though SirChancelot thinks he might get bored sticking with one Node, that is probably not true.
    Especially due to how a Node can change due to a new Mayor, a new Monarch and/or a new dominant race.
    (Racial progression might send us across the map as well.)

And, just because you are a citizen of one Node does not mean you cannot gain a good rep in a Node (or several Nodes) across the map - even without joining a guild.
  • Options
    MerekMerek Member
    Ashes plans to deter zergs.

You've said this in a few threads and the only thing I've seen about it is that Steven believes travel time will dissuade zergs, which it won't. They'll just choose their targets more cautiously. Zergs will always be a thing unless the game mechanically limits them, such as with siege instancing.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    It's one mechanic Steven has mentioned that's in the design to deter zergs.
    Stevens plan is to deter zergs. How successful the devs will be with implementing Steven's design goals is still unknown.

Just because Steven has only mentioned Elemental, Teleport, Life and Death as augment schools does not mean those are the only augment schools in the game design.

STEVEN:"When we're designing encounters that involve these raid bosses and dungeon bosses, is that there are specific mechanics that will be required for players to learn and react to, from both a skill standpoint and a knowledge standpoint, that are going to be required to complete the boss and cannot be zergged through.
    And you could bring as large a zerg as you want, if their not aware of certain mechanics or they do not react to them apporpriately, they're going to get wiped."

JEFFEREY:"Mmmmn hmmmmn."

STEVEN:"We wanna make sure that our content has meaning in the sense of exploration and discovery for exactly what this boss is all about, what type of skills this boss has, and how that relates to our raid composition and our tactics and strategies in that fight. And it's not just going to be something like, 'Let's just rally everyone and zerg it down!'
    That's not experiencing content. That's just bulldozing through it."

• Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    If you have a group of friends, family or loyal people, like in real life, you have a numbers advantadge and yes, social skills matter in mmo's.
    I enjoy too being a loner and getting lost in the world, but we can't deny that guilds are a big part of the game. For me I want a chill guild of cool people to try and beat as many challenges we can, but I don't expect to be on the top 10 most efficient guilds.
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited June 2022

I can think of three big reasons why solo players like MMOs. For one, the world feels more alive when there are real players nearby doing their own thing. Second, it's achievement. MMOs have meaningful progression that (ideally) cannot be cheated, cannot be erased, and can be appreciated by others. That means the progress one makes in an MMO is perceived as more rewarding. Finally, live service games are frequently updated. That means investing time in an MMO will provide far more content than a single-player RPG.

That being said, I think solo players in AoC shouldn't have as easy of a time as people in guilds. Playing with a guild requires time and monetary commitments with the payoff of comradery. Why should groups be less efficient than single players?